Levo Gen 3 Magura mt7 upgrade

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Reading all of these Magura posts has me thinking I must be really lucky. I've never had to bleed mine because the lever got mushy. My last bleed was about 2 years ago after replacing the rear hose, which got mangled by a stick in the spokes. The lever is still very firm at the bite point.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Reading all of these Magura posts has me thinking I must be really lucky. I've never had to bleed mine because the lever got mushy. My last bleed was about 2 years ago after replacing the rear hose, which got mangled by a stick in the spokes. The lever is still very firm at the bite point.
It must be the weather in Cali. 😉

Someone could sneak into my garage and change all my suspension settings and tire psi and I probably wouldn’t notice.

But grips, bar, brakes, seat and peddles …I would definitely notice.

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
Thanks for all the info. Just bought from Merlin cycles for £225 for front and back
Should be here in couple days
Although in fuertventura atm so don’t really wanna go game haha

Also bought some of those disc brake aligners for £2 worth a shot to help align the discs Although never had any problems before until I fitted zeb ultimates the other weekend. Squeaking like a louse they are

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
So brakes fitted yesterday removed rear brake and pushed new cable from back to front cable went through ok had to remove cable guide at top of frame as it was hitting it
bLed back brake took ages and 2 attempts to get any feeling in the lever other than hitting the bars 😛
but got there
then seen this vid and followed it worked a treat back brakes feels super strong
now just have to bed the pads in tried last night but zero stopping power
gonna give it a go this morning and see if i can get it to actually stop me
front brake feels pretty good but again need to bed pads in properly
but first need to shorten cable as it’s way too long have some barbs and olives coming today from Amazon
so will use the quick bleed vid again once Iv shortened cable
can’t believe they only gave me 1 olive and Barb for a full set of brakes 😝

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
So brakes fitted yesterday removed rear brake and pushed new cable from back to front cable went through ok had to remove cable guide at top of frame as it was hitting it
bLed back brake took ages and 2 attempts to get any feeling in the lever other than hitting the bars 😛
but got there
then seen this vid and followed it worked a treat back brakes feels super strong
but first need to shorten cable as it’s way too long have some barbs and olives coming today from Amazon
I can't remember the exact bedding procedure, but I followed it to the letter - and found the difference from the 1st stop to the 30th (I think?) was night and day.

If I remember correctly, it's something like going from 20mph to a dead stop 30 times? I have a wee hill outside my house, so went down, stopped, up... down, stopped, up. The stopping distance improved every time for the first 10 or so shots, and then didn't get much better. Took about 20 mins, but well worth it! One of the few times I've used TURBO 😂

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
I can't remember the exact bedding procedure, but I followed it to the letter - and found the difference from the 1st stop to the 30th (I think?) was night and day.

If I remember correctly, it's something like going from 20mph to a dead stop 30 times? I have a wee hill outside my house, so went down, stopped, up... down, stopped, up. The stopping distance improved every time for the first 10 or so shots, and then didn't get much better. Took about 20 mins, but well worth it! One of the few times I've used TURBO 😂
Yeah was gonna do that have a hill near by 😝

as I used my hope rotors wondering if I should give them a slight sanding and do the same with the pads as I tried last night but didn’t have any stopping power
rotors have been on for 8 months give or take then start from fresh to bed in

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
Pretty sure you should NOT do a full stop during bedding, as that could cause pad material transfer. I get to speed and brake to 3-5 MPH a few times with moderate pressure. Then repeat with high, but not lockup pressure.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
but got there

In the future, you shouldn't need to bleed new Maguras if you plug the end of the cable (a small white plug is provided) immediately after you cut it near the lever. I keep those plugs for future installs and put one on both ends of the cut hose.
Keep your lever up so fluid doesn't drain, and after cutting the hose to length and installing the barb/olive and attaching the hose to the lever, add a few drops of fluid to the bleed port. Should have a solid brake feel without a bleed if you follow those steps.

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
Pretty sure you should NOT do a full stop during bedding, as that could cause pad material transfer. I get to speed and brake to 3-5 MPH a few times with moderate pressure. Then repeat with high, but not lockup pressure.
Yeah got them sorted
Shortened front cable and all good quick bleed and good to go
Back brake feels great
Front needs a little work but currently on a nice little coast ride so plenty of time to bed in properly

IMG_5672.jpeg IMG_5673.jpeg

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
What would Magura know? 🤷‍♂️

Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 16.38.38.jpg

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Apparently they "know" the opposite of Galfer. So I continue to use my method and you should use yours.
Fair enough. I'm using Magura rotors, brakes and pads... so I'll stick with their method.
It certainly worked, as the stopping distance from stop 1 to stop 10 was unbelievable. 10-30 didn't improve by much.

As per the OP, my brakes had very little stopping power until I bedded them in.

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
Brakes feel great after 24 mile bedding in haha 😛
appreciate all the tips and info about brakes
get to test them properly in a week after going back to work tomorrow

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I wanted the Red calliper rings for my MT7’s, to match other bling, so I had to order a 12 pack. Friggen expensive! Then I saw this…

View attachment 136680
$0.79…ffs.
I wanted 2 different blues to match my spokes... so I had to order 2 packs of the bloody things to get the colours I wanted.
I had purple on my previous bike... I must have a box of spare rings somewhere, as they were a different pack too.

IMG_6947.jpg

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
£12 for a pack of 12 3different colours
Think ill order a pack as my bike has purple and a bit of pink (grips)

Although I did message Magura saying one is cracked. See if they send me a spare

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
£12 for a pack of 12 3different colours
Think ill order a pack as my bike has purple and a bit of pink (grips)

Although I did message Magura saying one is cracked. See if they send me a spare
When I bought the purple ones about 4 years ago, each one I pushed in cracked. It was like the new ones were brittle. I emailed Magura support, and they sent me out a new pack… along with some nice Magura biro pens, and some stickers 👍
The replacements went in perfectly.

IMG_7638.jpeg

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
When I bought the purple ones about 4 years ago, each one I pushed in cracked. It was like the new ones were brittle. I emailed Magura support, and they sent me out a new pack… along with some nice Magura biro pens, and some stickers 👍
The replacements went in perfectly.

View attachment 136706
😝 I contacted merlin who couldn’t help as they dont have anything spare lying around or summit like that
so contacted Magura who said merlin should help as I bought from there
so told them they can’t or won’t help
then Magura replied and said they can tell me what to buy 😜 as they don’t have any there
told them what a waste of time
all for a plastic disc
got Zero chance of a pen at this rate

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
IMG_7647.jpeg

Here’s my spares. I’m keeping the 2 x 2 different blue ones sitting on the packet (as they’re the spares for mine)… but can easily send you a couple of yellows to replace the broken ones… or 4 of any of the coloured ones?

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
View attachment 136753

Here’s my spares. I’m keeping the 2 x 2 different blue ones sitting on the packet (as they’re the spares for mine)… but can easily send you a couple of yellows to replace the broken ones… or 4 of any of the coloured ones?
That’s a very kind offer mate i would have 2 yellow if that’s ok
and maybe the purple if that’s ok
I’ll pay for postage to cover your cost just pm some details

thanks

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
That’s a very kind offer mate i would have 2 yellow if that’s ok
and maybe the purple if that’s ok
I’ll pay for postage to cover your cost just pm some details

thanks
No worries - I’ll just frank them at work!
PM me where to send them, and I’ll try and get them posted tomorrow 👍

Jbone

Mar 7, 2024
Sydney, Australia
Great thread and thanks for the tips. I’ve just upgraded to the MT7s (transferred from the old bike).
Installation was incredibly straight forward, I sprayed some silicone on the external part of the brake hose, and also into the frame routing and the brake hose just flew straight in and out. If you use silicone just make sure to protect all braking surfaces otherwise you’ll trash your pads before you even use them.
I didn’t know you could change the calliper rings until this thread either, so thanks for helping get the match right for my frame. Had a great ride yesterday, loving the Maguras on my Levo.
D429FE9C-BB39-4465-BA82-008245BCF7A5.jpeg

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
Great thread and thanks for the tips. I’ve just upgraded to the MT7s (transferred from the old bike).
Installation was incredibly straight forward, I sprayed some silicone on the external part of the brake hose, and also into the frame routing and the brake hose just flew straight in and out. If you use silicone just make sure to protect all braking surfaces otherwise you’ll trash your pads before you even use them.
I didn’t know you could change the calliper rings until this thread either, so thanks for helping get the match right for my frame. Had a great ride yesterday, loving the Maguras on my Levo. View attachment 136921
Good tip about the silicon Mine went through but was tight in a couple places but overall no problems

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles