Magura MT5 brake chatter

MrHeils

Jun 1, 2021
Lausanne Switzerland
Hey gang,

was out last week riding some very steep terrain on my Allmtn 4 and suffered quite a bit from brake chatter - especially on the front brakes. I’ve noticed this a bit before on this bike but it’s never really been much of an issue until last week when it was quite uncomfortable at times.Anyone notice the same and have a solution ?

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
What discs are you using?
are the pads bolt through or the standard one-piece?
6 bolt or centre lock discs?
Bolt through or QR axle?

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
I had that problem once and it turned out to be the pads backing plate was not long enough. This caused them to vibrate up and down.
New pads sorted it out and it's never been an issue since. That was about 3 years ago.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Very experienced in Magura brake noises, finding solutions can be difficult. I'd start by sanding down your pads and rotors with fine sandpaper like 300 grit, clean thoughly with alcohol or brake cleaner including brake dust in calipers (on pads look for shiney spots/glazing and remove). Then realign your caplipers over the rotor, like to use a white rag below caliper to facilitate alignment. Pad alignment to rotor critical for Magura. If noise persists I would go for organic pads like Kool Stops because they tend to be less noisy/cause less vibration than Magura pads or other metallic brands I've tried.

Also when you wash the bike, clean the rotors and calipers thouroughly every time as this will cut down on Magura's inherent tendency to squeak, squeal or vibrate.

I love the feel of Magura but hate the maintainence.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles