Loud whine when riding hard in turbo

Thesag

Feb 27, 2021
Fort Worth; Texas USA
I have a 2021 trek rail with about 1200 miles on it. The motor has been bulletproof performance standpoint. I normally ride in EMTB mode when by myself or with my normal group and the motor is perfectly quiet. I also ride with a group of ex pro Moto guys who go fast as hell and I have to ride on turbo and push hard to keep up. I have noticed the last couple times riding with this group my motor gets very loud. it’s so loud the other guys in the group can hear it while we’re riding and everybody thinks my motor is about to die but, there doesn’t seem to be any drop off in performance. It’s just loud as hell. Once it gets loud like this, it will still stay loud when giving a when giving assistance even if I drop down into a lower assistance mode. It’s almost like it’s gotten hot or something. The crazy thing is, I can do another ride the next day on EMTB mode and it’s back to sounding perfectly normal and relatively quiet.

Has anyone else experienced this? If the motor was loud all the time I would assume it’s going bad, but for 90% of my rides it’s just fine. It’s only on turbo when I’m pushing hard that it happens. I am in Texas, but it is not a heat thing because this has happened in cool weather. BTW, I am a light rider at about 155 pounds.

Thanks,
Steve

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles