Lost keys Rail 7

deserthi

Apr 6, 2021
OK, I have drilled out the lock and there is no lock left but I still can't get the battery out. I guess I will have to order those bits.
Thanks

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It's a bit late now, but why do you need to take the battery out?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I get that bit, just can't see why it was so urgent that you took to power tools?

deserthi

Apr 6, 2021
I get that bit, just can't see why it was so urgent that you took to power tools?
I just want it to be right. I want to be able to take the battery into the house to charge it. The bike shop I bought it from is a two and a half hour drive one way. There is the ability for the bike dealer to save the key number in the bosch motor but my dealer didn't do that. They told me if I brought it in that they would drill out the old lock so instead of driving 5 hours that I would just do it myself.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
I found this on another forum where someone had lost their keys:
If you have a Bosch eBike the key number will have been saved onto your motor if the bike shop you purchased from has their head screwed on! That’s right, Bosch have given a special memory slot on the motor to save the key number of an electric bike to enable dealers to recite the unique key number in the event of you losing both of your keys.
I hopefully can find a bike shop that can access this. Apparently Trek of Pasadena did not know about this because they blew me off telling me to go to a locksmith.
High Rock Ruti

That's how they found the number for my Trek keys, although I've heard that not all have it. I called ABUS they can replace the keys with the numbers of course.....?

Warm Regards

Ruti

deserthi

Apr 6, 2021
Thanks for the links. I am not desperate but I will be happy to put the new lock in and get things cleaned up.

j3ayy

Oct 10, 2020
North Yorkshire
I have lost both my battery compartment keys. I called the dealership, Trek o Pasadena, and the told be to go to a locksmith. No luck there as he could not pic the lock or make those kind of keys. I really don’t know where to go from here. Any ideas would be appreciated
Surely you have the tag with the code still?

deserthi

Apr 6, 2021
I know this but as has been discussed, I lost my keys and do not have anything showing my key number.

deserthi

Apr 6, 2021
I just finished putting a new lock with new keys into the bike. It took me forever to get the battery out. I tried everything then one day last week I got it. I had already ordered the new lock. It was a bear to put in but it's done and working perfect. I did chip my paint around the keyhole as I was prying the old one out but I have ordered touch up paint for that. After reading the flying battery thread I think I am going to put a velcro strap around it for now although it seems pretty tight.

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
I just finished putting a new lock with new keys into the bike. It took me forever to get the battery out. I tried everything then one day last week I got it. I had already ordered the new lock. It was a bear to put in but it's done and working perfect. I did chip my paint around the keyhole as I was prying the old one out but I have ordered touch up paint for that. After reading the flying battery thread I think I am going to put a velcro strap around it for now although it seems pretty tight.

After all the stress you've had getting the battery out, it's definitely going to fall out of it's own accord and you'll find the old keys straight after.

deserthi

Apr 6, 2021
In most cases I would say your are correct but.....I literally tore apart my house and my truck apart twice. I looked in the pockets of all my pants and shirts, under my couch and recliner, everywhere. I think I must have tossed it out in one of my getting rid of stuff episodes. Also just ordered velcro straps from amazon.

Carl Arnold

Feb 3, 2023
usa
You could try contacting the manufacturer of your battery compartment to see if they can provide a replacement key or a solution to open the lock. If that's not an option, you could also consider drilling the lock open, but be aware that this might cause damage and void any warranty. Finally, you could also look for a professional locksmith Hither Green who specializes in opening high-security locks, as they may have the tools and expertise to help you.

Last edited:

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
I have lost both my battery compartment keys. I called the dealership, Trek o Pasadena, and the told be to go to a locksmith. No luck there as he could not pic the lock or make those kind of keys. I really don’t know where to go from here. Any ideas would be appreciated
High Rock Ruti

Unless lock manufactures have changed, the company is ABUS well known for bike and other locks. With the number and receipt ABUS can provide replacement keys, more: I bought two Orbeas a year apart both had the same key. Still, There's a good chance that the bike shop also has matching keys from either new bike or spares, remember you need the key number, not the key. More still, sometimes the manufacturer keeps the key number with production information, my Trek had under the Bosch motor information the key number, it's their battery after all. And of course getting rid of the lock is best of all. Unless your stuck having to remove the battery today, you have options. Rob just had to replace a lock on the give-away bike.

warm Regards Ruti

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
This is 100% correct. The card has the re-order number on it. They are ABUS keys and easy to get from Trek
I'm in the UK. I got our spare keys from our local Timpson shop using the code on our Trek cards. They had to order them in and (IIRC) took week or two.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles