looking to replace a allmtn 7

avman

May 24, 2021
hull
Hi guys

looking to replace a haibike allmtn 7 (might be moving it onto my son so we can both ride together, if he uses a eeb and i have the analogue it spoils his ride)
currently these are my options:

Orbea rise m20 ( wanted a 10 but cant find a m10 anywhere) Local LBS
Trek Rail 7 again may needs some updates to tweak it ( semi local LBS 60 miles away)
Moustache29 trail 10 delivery only

what do you guys and girls think
welcome further suggestions

All mtn is a good bike but had issues with wheels and dropper being poor quality
Cheers
Jon

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I like the Trek Rail 7. There are several in my small circle of riders and a few Rail 9.7’s. There’s only been a few small issues with the Rail 7 but not with the frame. Most are slowly upgrading the components (shiney-things) with better parts over time.

Jun 16, 2019
Northants
Would really benefit from knowing your riding style/location before being able to help properly.
Motor that gives its power in accordance to how you pedal(ie are you a masher or a spinner)
Then it comes down to your body dimensions(short/long legged, helps with geometry sizing.. . Likewise upper body for reach etc)
Then it's a matter of your budget/preference to brand and whether theres a dealer nearby.

Most bikes these days are pretty good.. But knowing the above allows you to discount certain bikes straight away and close the net on one's that really suit you.

In the spirit of recommending what you have, I've just picked up a 21 giant trance e 29 and have passed my old focus jam2 onto my 14yo son if that's any help

Last edited:

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
I'd say as you have a Rise on the list that is telling you something.I'm 56 and fairly fit.Just moved from a FF Cube to M20 Rise because keeping fit was a critical element of riding.On the Rise my heart and lungs still get a good work out but kinder on my legs.With the extender you can blast around all day or without and go on xc or shorter challenges.Just a really flexible package and in hindsight, I didn't need the Cube or my upgraded manual bike.

avman

May 24, 2021
hull
hi
thanks for the replies, im 50 fairly fit, 5 9 short legs tho on 30.5 in seam,
riding style "not sure, not too bad i think ", tbh i just got a couple of koms on bridleway downhills in wykham forest near dalby so i can go down fairly fast,
i like to bike parks red bit of black but not jumping also i surprising like climbing again after getting an ebike, i also like a long day out and have managed to do 37 miles in wales 6000ft climbing on the allmtn7 using all the battery, range anxiety kicked in for that one,
what i dont like about it, its too heavy i want some thing i can throw about if needed, maybe this is technique as i can see the likes of pros doing it no problem. it doesnt help having a bad back though
i also dont like the feeling of it hitting the wall when reaching 16mph

hope that helps

avman

May 24, 2021
hull
i have just noticed the medium mustache reach is shorter than the allmtn, this might be an issue.

Jun 16, 2019
Northants
You are the same height as me but with a slightly longer inseam... Riding style sounds very similar to me also😱.... Scary

What motor is on the am7? . I've only ridden the bosch v4, steps e8000 and yamaha pwx2 (in the form of giant sync drive.

The shimano is the most notable once above the limit and so far the yamaha pwx2 has the least drag(not sure if that's actually the case but it has been in my experience)
I'm deffo more of a spinner when climbing as I'm a heavy bugger and don't want to really over stress the motor by slower cadence/high torque style climbing.
The e8000 motor I have on one bike has done 2300 miles so far with no issues as yet. (don't know if me being kind to it makes any difference but I'd like to think so)
It's early doors with the pxw2 motor as I've only done 2 rides on it so far but first impressions are decent(2x28ish mile rides and about 55% battery used each time.. 625wh battery)
For reference.. I'm now on a medium 2021 trance e 29 if you wnat to check out the geometry tables.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles