Looking to Build a mountain Ebike

Nrth

May 29, 2021
Colorado
I am from the USA so it sounds like its hard to get a frame? I am looking to either purchase a carbon or aluminum frame. I would like to put a bosch performance CX motor in it. Can someone lead a newbie in the right direction. I have built several carbon frames before however an ebike is new to me. I am just not willing to pay what brand name companies are looking for.

Thank you for your help!

Sunburntwily

Jan 28, 2021
Australia
I am from the USA so it sounds like its hard to get a frame? I am looking to either purchase a carbon or aluminum frame. I would like to put a bosch performance CX motor in it. Can someone lead a newbie in the right direction. I have built several carbon frames before however an ebike is new to me. I am just not willing to pay what brand name companies are looking for.

Thank you for your help!
You can get everything you need from aliexpress. Including the carbon frame you can't import. It's from an aliexpress re-seller. I agree with the ridiculous prices of ebikes. You can buy cars cheaper. However my build here in Australia using low end rock shock's etc is still going to be near $7K. A merida e160 with better spec can be had for less with a warranty and local support. So in a nutshell the journey has been fun and I am looking forward to ridding it someday, but their are no real savings to be had. The E10 bikes are coming in at 24-25 kgs and the Merida E160 is closer to 22kgs. I love the journey, but not one I would recommend for those looking to save money. If you have parts from another bike then yes, otherwise register your name with a bike store expressing an interest in purchasing an ex-demo bike. Good luck and post pics ?

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
You can get everything you need from aliexpress. Including the carbon frame you can't import. It's from an aliexpress re-seller. I agree with the ridiculous prices of ebikes. You can buy cars cheaper. However my build here in Australia using low end rock shock's etc is still going to be near $7K. A merida e160 with better spec can be had for less with a warranty and local support. So in a nutshell the journey has been fun and I am looking forward to ridding it someday, but their are no real savings to be had. The E10 bikes are coming in at 24-25 kgs and the Merida E160 is closer to 22kgs. I love the journey, but not one I would recommend for those looking to save money. If you have parts from another bike then yes, otherwise register your name with a bike store expressing an interest in purchasing an ex-demo bike. Good luck and post pics ?
I take it you are building a Dengfu? I did the maths a while ago & thought they were pretty expensive for what they are in comparison to something you can return to your bike store if there's a problem. There must be cheaper alternatives out there? Isn't China the home of knock offs? How come then noone is knocking off the Dengfu & selling it for $50 a frame

Sunburntwily

Jan 28, 2021
Australia
I take it you are building a Dengfu? I did the maths a while ago & thought they were pretty expensive for what they are in comparison to something you can return to your bike store if there's a problem. There must be cheaper alternatives out there? Isn't China the home of knock offs? How come then noone is knocking off the Dengfu & selling it for $50 a frame
Yes it is the dengfu e10. And if you know what you are doing then you can see the savings are not there. I didn't know any better and proceeded without du-diligence. I don't regret it it is a beautiful bike and the quality is there. We are not talking about a cheep and nasty bike when to comes to this build. I did buy carbon fibre wheels off aliexpress and they are awsome and also got my forks and shocks (unboxed rock shock) so saved some money there. Dengfu is a chinese owned and operated company so it is doubtful they will allow any knockoffs in their own country. I think the bargains we used to see coming out of China are slowly disappearing.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Dengfu is a chinese owned and operated company so it is doubtful they will allow any knockoffs in their own country. I think the bargains we used to see coming out of China are slowly disappearing.
You mean like honour among thieves scenario :geek: They could name it The new Dengfu.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles