Looking for some user experiences with brakes..

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Hi all so basically I have code r and I’m looking to change , currently they are on my sam2 ebike and the stopping power is fine but I’m sick of the faff with sticky pistons and the lever losing a lot of feel as the pads wear down even slightly, so I’m looking at a change but you read horror stories of wandering bite point and shitty levers with shimano and magura, I was thinking about shimano zee or Magura mt5s.. what’s your experiences and recommendations?? Wandering bite points sound like a crash waiting to happen….

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
I've always liked Shimano's but they can be a bit on/off which some people don't gel with.
The moving biting point is caused by an air bubble in the caliper or lever and requires a good bleed.
I do the 5 min lever bleed every month and full bleed every few months and never seem to have issues. This method is the best IMO and doesn't require any syringes (which I don't think help):

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
I've always liked Shimano's but they can be a bit on/off which some people don't gel with.
The moving biting point is caused by an air bubble in the caliper or lever and requires a good bleed.
I do the 5 min lever bleed every month and full bleed every few months and never seem to have issues. This method is the best IMO and doesn't require any syringes (which I don't think help)

Ahhh right that’s great info I hadn’t realised that’s what caused the issue bleeding seems very easy too

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
TRP DHR EVO are pretty awesome bite feels the same as SRAM code RSC. solid and reliable. The trp disk is thick so I’m sure it’ll never warp on you.

Thanks mate I hadn’t really looked at TRP tbh I’ll give them a look

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
Hope Tech 4 V4s as another option? Easy maintenance and bleeding. Really good modulation on the brakes. Replacement pads reasonably priced. Swapped out my Code R's for them and not looked back. Having said that I also really like the Shimano XTs I have on another bike. Both good powerful brakes, would say Hope has the better modulation.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Shimono saints here
run them for years without issues
As already said, thou some people's issues are with bad bleed practise all thou i don't bleed mine from one year to the next just keep putting pads in when needed
I have run hope before but had problem with lever leaks and dot4 fluid is nasty for that
Also, magura mt5s noisy but they worked so no complaints here.

Im also more of a fan of mineral oil brakes as dot4 fluid has no place on a bike in my opinion.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
you read horror stories of wandering bite point and shitty levers with shimano and magura, I was thinking about shimano zee or Magura mt5s.

I think with the Shimanos you'll get reliability even if you don't maintain them. With the Maguras, I think you'll get power and modulation. I've never neglected my Maguras, so I don't know how well they'd do if I ignored them. Why do people have "horror stories?" Your guess is as good as mine. Personally, I'd go with the MT5's.

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
I’m thinking about possibly the shimano saint route if people are riding them on e-bikes without issues on power, would I be able to use them with my current sram centreline 220mm rotors ?

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
I've got XT four pots on two bikes (my eeb and enduro bike) and Saints on my fat bike. I've found the power and reliability to be excellent on the Saints and the older set off XTs (on my enduro bike) but I've had to do a few bleeds on the newer XTs on my ebike (which I've only had for a couple of months). That said, they're now feeling just like my other bikes with rock solid lever feel and huge stopping power. Shimano replacement pads are expensive but I've found Uberbike Race Matrix pads to work well, last well and not cost too much. I do think that Icetech rotors make a difference but my ebike came with the cheaper Shimano rotors in 200mm size and I've stuck an Uberbike 220mm (2mm thick) rotor on the front which seems to be okay. Unfortunately Shimano don't do Icetech rotors larger than 200mm. My only other experience with brakes in recent times was with Hopes which were okay but not a patch on the Shimanos in my opinion, especially given the extra price involved. If I was buying brakes I'd go for Saint all day long, super powerful and very reliable (although they do squeal when they get wet).

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
I've got XT four pots on two bikes (my eeb and enduro bike) and Saints on my fat bike. I've found the power and reliability to be excellent on the Saints and the older set off XTs (on my enduro bike) but I've had to do a few bleeds on the newer XTs on my ebike (which I've only had for a couple of months). That said, they're now feeling just like my other bikes with rock solid lever feel and huge stopping power. Shimano replacement pads are expensive but I've found Uberbike Race Matrix pads to work well, last well and not cost too much. I do think that Icetech rotors make a difference but my ebike came with the cheaper Shimano rotors in 200mm size and I've stuck an Uberbike 220mm (2mm thick) rotor on the front which seems to be okay. Unfortunately Shimano don't do Icetech rotors larger than 200mm. My only other experience with brakes in recent times was with Hopes which were okay but not a patch on the Shimanos in my opinion, especially given the extra price involved. If I was buying brakes I'd go for Saint all day long, super powerful and very reliable (although they do squeal when they get wet).

Aww brilliant mate thanks for the great response

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
The rotor I have has only done 300miles was hoping to get away with cleaning and re using 😀

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
The rotor I have has only done 300miles was hoping to get away with cleaning and re using 😀
Worst case scenario you might have to buy a new rotor and a set of pads if it doesn't perform but I suspect you'll be absolutely fine despite what the purists say. Bottom line is that you already have the rotor so why wouldn't you try it?

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I like my MT5s I do use the 4 individual pads from the MT7 also the brakes perform best with 2mm thick rotors

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Worst case scenario you might have to buy a new rotor and a set of pads if it doesn't perform but I suspect you'll be absolutely fine despite what the purists say. Bottom line is that you already have the rotor so why wouldn't you try it?

That’s what I was thinking unless it would definitely be an issue

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
I like my MT5s I do use the 4 individual pads from the MT7 also the brakes perform best with 2mm thick rotors

Do you use the one finger lever mate if not how have you found the standard 2 finger lever ?

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
One finger Loic Bruni levers although recently swapped levers to some Ali Express ones which are great

F5281834-1C80-4F0E-A2B6-38D077082237.jpeg

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I have a set of Saints i usually swap onto new bikes, they never seem to not work really well.
Bought a Whyte with Rsc’s on and they are great, don’t feel the need to swap to the Saints.
Also R2bikes have MT7’s on offer at the mo.

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
I have a set of Saints i usually swap onto new bikes, they never seem to not work really well.
Bought a Whyte with Rsc’s on and they are great, don’t feel the need to swap to the Saints.
Also R2bikes have MT7’s on offer at the mo.

Thanks mate I’ll check that out

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Ive had:

Guide R's - an absolute joke of a brake, should never even make it onto a gravel or XC bike.
Code R's - slightly better than the above but I hate the modulation (all SRAM brakes in general)

Saints - The best brakes period. Will stop a train
Zee's - Add metallic pads and its all the stopping power you'll need and cheap!

Currently on XT M8120 4 pots, fantastic, I'd put them up there with the Zee's but more $$ and more features.

When I pull the brakes I want instant power as soon as possible. Dislike the spongy lever feel on all SRAM brakes for that reason. Also have read great things about the TRP DHR's

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
SRAM Code RSC with SRAM HS2 220MM rotors F&R.

Great modulation, plenty of power & super reliable. These brakes are really confidence inspiring.

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Awesome feedback thanks guys I think saints will be what I go for , can’t seem to find zee rears, only fronts are they discontinued

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I’m thinking about possibly the shimano saint route if people are riding them on e-bikes without issues on power, would I be able to use them with my current sram centreline 220mm rotors ?
Tried a Sram 220 rotor (6 bolt) on the front of my Rail. It was fine when cool but when it got hot it got f*cking noisy. Took it off and went back to my Shimano RT-76 203mm rotor. Peace and quiet. Have cheap Shimano BR-M420 4 pot calipers with Shimano BL-M6100 levers (nice levers). The fancier 4 pot calipers with ceramic pistons are said by Shimano to be much more powerful, but are they really? Hmmm.

Last edited:

Scford

Feb 10, 2021
Santa Cruz
+1 for shimano by far my brake of choice, I tend to prefer xt but I find minimal if any difference between slx and deore. Definitely a good bleed mitigates the wandering bite point, and I’ve never had the brake not grab, it may just grab a little closer to the bar.

I’ve had/used sram guide rsc, level T, code r and rsc, the code rsc is the best but still prefer shimano greatly over any of those. Sram has a crazy soft bite in my opinion, many times I’ve been grabbing a fistful of brakes down to the lever and still not getting the bite I want. I also got a lot of wondering bite on the code rsc. Just my experience, everyone is die hard in their own preference/brand.

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
+1 for shimano by far my brake of choice, I tend to prefer xt but I find minimal if any difference between slx and deore. Definitely a good bleed mitigates the wandering bite point, and I’ve never had the brake not grab, it may just grab a little closer to the bar.

I’ve had/used sram guide rsc, level T, code r and rsc, the code rsc is the best but still prefer shimano greatly over any of those. Sram has a crazy soft bite in my opinion, many times I’ve been grabbing a fistful of brakes down to the lever and still not getting the bite I want. I also got a lot of wondering bite on the code rsc. Just my experience, everyone is die hard in their own preference/brand.

Tbh mate that’s the same experience I’m having with my codes, just a bit sick of them really and thought I would try something different

Scford

Feb 10, 2021
Santa Cruz
Tbh mate that’s the same experience I’m having with my codes, just a bit sick of them really and thought I would try something different

The code r is particularly annoying, every few rides I would have to reset the pistons to get a decent lever feel back. Sram uses 2 different pressures one in the hose/caliper and a second in the master cylinder, eventually they equilibrate and need to be reset. That gives the weak bite. Shimano uses 1 pressure hence a more on/off feel and imo a better bite.

At the end of the day a buddy of mine said if you’re thinking about it while riding just get something different because it’s bothering you.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
I've had all-sorts over the years. But more recently can run direct comparisons between the Shimano MT520's Zee's M8120's + Magura MT5's and MT7's. Ignoring all the 2 pots for obvious reasons, and ignoring anything SRAM - I'd rather use Clarks M2's 🤣.

The more basic Shimano stuff seems to have a more consistent lever feel, M520's have no right to be as good as they are, powerful and consistent. The other Shimano stuff all suffered with wandering bite points, the rear M8120 was particularly bad. But this has been cured by using GPR6 as brake fluid (have a search it's well documented). Mineral oil holds dissolved air, and turns to syrup at low temps. Use the GPR6 and warm it before you bleed, pull a vacuume on the syringe before bleeding etc etc....

The MT5's were superb but the rear lever never felt quite as firm or consistent as the front. The MT7's were on a DH bike that got hammered and they were hands down the best brakes I've ever owned. Ultimate power, endless modulation, and were consistent pad after pad over 4 years and multiple bleeds.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles