Long time MTBer going E.

sethius

Jan 2, 2023
Australia
Hi lads! Long time (20yrs+) mountain biker and grew up in the industry from retail and running my own wholesale gig years ago. Injuries and health problems aplenty from the good ol huck days.

Looking to swap over to a bafang equipped bike being 100kg after a while off the bike. Haven't ridden a modern ebike since 2018 where they were clanky and geo was out of whack. Used to race downhill and enjoy drops/steps down but no longer up to it.

Currently on a custom last Glen MX which I'd like to move everything across from. Dengfu E10 completes this nicely, but no idea what the extra powers like, or if I'm going down the wrong path and should be going down the rise/siryon path. Local stores are a pita and don't know much outside their inventory stock/brochures.

Average ride is 15-20km, constant elevational change from my doorstep. Climb home takes 45min alone right now after a single-track session.

Any bigger guys riding the new gen light mtbs or sticking to full fat?

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
I'm about the same weight and ride both SL and full-fat.

Just need to decide what's more important to you:
Downhill tech, easier handling, traditional MTB feel - Lightweight / SL bike
Uphill tech, more range / elevation / assist - Full-fat bike

Both are great, but if I had to pick just one I'd recommend full-fat: It's absolutely true that sometimes less is more, but oftentimes more is more.

sethius

Jan 2, 2023
Australia
I'm about the same weight and ride both SL and full-fat.

Just need to decide what's more important to you:
Downhill tech, easier handling, traditional MTB feel - Lightweight / SL bike
Uphill tech, more range / elevation / assist - Full-fat bike

Both are great, but if I had to pick just one I'd recommend full-fat: It's absolutely true that sometimes less is more, but oftentimes more is more.
Elevations not a huge thing here, local tracks probably only pulling 300-400m with some heavy short elevation on the climbs back up. Always had fairly light builds and not hard on the gear.

Uphill tech isnt really a thing on the local tracks either, so that's really good insight! Appreciate it Gyre. Good to know from someone with both at hand.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Elevations not a huge thing here, local tracks probably only pulling 300-400m with some heavy short elevation on the climbs back up. Always had fairly light builds and not hard on the gear.

Uphill tech isnt really a thing on the local tracks either, so that's really good insight! Appreciate it Gyre. Good to know from someone with both at hand.
No worries. In that case you may be better served with a lighter bike (Specialized SL, Trek Fuel EXe, Orbea Rise, Pivot Shuttle SL, etc.).

I'd suggest giving a lot of points something that has the option of using a range extender - ideally an extender with a form factor that could fit nicely in your pack if you need two. That way you start with a bike that feels a lot like a regular MTB, and just purchase/carry however much extra you need according to your ambition.

JP66

Dec 11, 2022
Ohio
Hi lads! Long time (20yrs+) mountain biker and grew up in the industry from retail and running my own wholesale gig years ago. Injuries and health problems aplenty from the good ol huck days.

Looking to swap over to a bafang equipped bike being 100kg after a while off the bike. Haven't ridden a modern ebike since 2018 where they were clanky and geo was out of whack. Used to race downhill and enjoy drops/steps down but no longer up to it.

Currently on a custom last Glen MX which I'd like to move everything across from. Dengfu E10 completes this nicely, but no idea what the extra powers like, or if I'm going down the wrong path and should be going down the rise/siryon path. Local stores are a pita and don't know much outside their inventory stock/brochures.

Average ride is 15-20km, constant elevational change from my doorstep. Climb home takes 45min alone right now after a single-track session.

Any bigger guys riding the new gen light mtbs or sticking to full fat?
Welcome to the page. Same with me. Mountain biked since early 90’s. I’m 58 now and lost some pounds. About 226lbs. I went with a Norco VLT Sight with the big 900 battery. The bike weighs 54lbs!!! I’m loving the bike and the Shimano motor. So far so good. Still a great work out if you don’t boost the power like a rocket sled. I’m glad I made the move. The extra miles are awesome!!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles