Liv INTRIGUE E+ 2 PRO Fork upgrade

Tabs2000

Jul 27, 2019
San Clemente ca.
I just bought my wife a Liv Intrigue E+ 2 Pro. It came with a Rock Shox Gold 35 RL. The fork has 150mm of travel and a 44mm offset. Her regular non ebike has a Fox Elite 34 with the fit 4 damper and has 150mm of travel and a 44mm offset. The steerer tube is about the same length with and 1/8 of an inch and i could easily swap it over.

My question is, the Fox 34 is not an ebike specific fork, would it be safe to use on her new ebike? I know the Fox fork inside and out and can really dial it in for her easily. I do not know much about setting up the Rock Shox fork as I have not used one in a long time. I am going to sell her regular bike and do not mind dropping the sale price to reflect the different fork.

He new ebike has a Fox Float DPS rear shock, I wish they would have at least put a Rythym 34 fork on the Liv ebike it makes sense to me to run a Fox fork with a fox rear shock.

Thank you in advance for any opinions on switching these forks.

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
Just swap and give it a try, depends on what terrain she's riding really, it will flex more but won't suddenly snap if just testing. If she's jumping or doing drops I'd be weary though.

Tabs2000

Jul 27, 2019
San Clemente ca.
Just swap and give it a try, depends on what terrain she's riding really, it will flex more but won't suddenly snap if just testing. If she's jumping or doing drops I'd be weary though.

Thanks I will give it a go. She is not hitting drops nor jumping just trail riding. My main reason is to dial the fork in so it handles well in corners.

federic0

Apr 5, 2020
Italy
which issues is she experiencing with the GOLD 35? i also have it in the e+ 3 pro, and honestly i feel it not sliding well at the beginning of compression phase (if you got any suggestion to improve more than welcome). i know it's basic range for a fork, but there's also a lot more cheaper on the market.

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
which issues is she experiencing with the GOLD 35? i also have it in the e+ 3 pro, and honestly i feel it not sliding well at the beginning of compression phase (if you got any suggestion to improve more than welcome). i know it's basic range for a fork, but there's also a lot more cheaper on the market.

They are on my partners Liv and the stiction certainly isn’t good. I had read that there may not be enough oil in there. Leave the bike upside down overnight - sounds zany but it helped. I’ll have to service them soon...

federic0

Apr 5, 2020
Italy
yeah i'll give it a try. i feel inertia when compression start, and then suddenly the fork start compressing, no smothness at all. it's bad feeling at the end, but fork upgrade is also a lot more expensive than brake upgrade i did.

Tabs2000

Jul 27, 2019
San Clemente ca.

My main reason is the upper part of the stroke is where she rides the bike the most is not supple or compliant. While the Fox 34 I already own is very plush and compliant for small bumps while turning. I was just not sure if a non ebike rated 34mm fork would be safe on a bike of this weight.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Agreat deal of this E-Bike component stuff is absolute rubbish in my opinion. Bigger stronger stuff is typically fitted as the market is actually aimed at bigger humans.

Consider this....
I assume the manual bike in question is about 12kg lighter than the LIV-E?

How much heavier than your wife are YOU?
Is it safe for you to ride her Fox34 equipped bike?

Or alternatively, could she still ride her Fox34 bike if she was carrying a really heavy backpack with 12kg in it?

Im sure the answer to both is yes. ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Personally I wouldn't go down the 34 route, if you are going to upgrade the fork go with something burlier, even if its a lower end model that you can upgrade in the future if needed. A basic 36, Marzochi Bomber or a RS Yari would be a better bet IMO for something that offers a genuine step up in performance, just because of the chasis strength.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I’ve just swapped out my 32mm stanchion Rockshox Recons for the 35mm Gold RL.

Not much of an upgrade in terms of damping, but the 35mm RLs are a lot stiffer and don’t twang about like the smaller Recons.

It’s important to cycle the forks whilst you’re setting them up to equalise the positive and negative air pressures. The manual mentions pumping up to recommended pressure (the riders weight in pounds converted to psi), disconnect the pump, cycle the forks 5 x 50% travel, reattach the pump and set desired pressure again, cycle again and then set pressure again.

I’ve done that with mine and I find them to be working really well, no stiction. I haven’t run any modern fox forks for years though, so they might still feel worse than Fox even when working correctly?

If that doesn’t work, worth checking the oil levels I suppose too.

Tabs2000

Jul 27, 2019
San Clemente ca.
Thanks for all the reply’s. I took everything into consideration and ended up going with a fox 36 rythym 150mm with a 44 offset. The Rock Shox gold RL was ok but the force to get the fork to break free was too much. Once the forks travel engaged it seemed to have 3 points of “stiction”. I put the Rythym on and my wife was totally blown away she said the bikes feels like a Cadillac.

I was lucky a buddy had it as a take off when he upgrade to a Fox Factory and was able to get it for next to nothing. My main concern was getting the bike to be compliant for her while turning and going over breaking bumps. This did the trick, she’s not jumping nor hitting drops just simply trail riding. This fork made the bike much more enjoyable for her to ride.

Thanks for the input I truly appreciate it.

Tabs2000

Jul 27, 2019
San Clemente ca.
I’ve just swapped out my 32mm stanchion Rockshox Recons for the 35mm Gold RL.

Not much of an upgrade in terms of damping, but the 35mm RLs are a lot stiffer and don’t twang about like the smaller Recons.

It’s important to cycle the forks whilst you’re setting them up to equalise the positive and negative air pressures. The manual mentions pumping up to recommended pressure (the riders weight in pounds converted to psi), disconnect the pump, cycle the forks 5 x 50% travel, reattach the pump and set desired pressure again, cycle again and then set pressure again.

I’ve done that with mine and I find them to be working really well, no stiction. I haven’t run any modern fox forks for years though, so they might still feel worse than Fox even when working correctly?

If that doesn’t work, worth checking the oil levels I suppose too.

Funny thing was we did not get any manuals for the fork or any tokens. We bought the bike brand new. We received the bike the keys and the charger that’s it. I had to search the interwebs to figure out walk mode and still have not figured out how to set it into auto mode.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles