Lightweight EMTB's - What are your thoughts?

RMez

Oct 7, 2020
Belfast
Myself and a couple of friends are thinking of making the switch to EMTB but for the type of riding we do here in Northern Ireland, my research so far, has me leaning towards the lighter weight bikes like the Specialized Kenevo SL, Lapierre Zesty AM or the NOX Helium. All are around the 18kg's mark but I was wondering if there are other options about the same weight and with the batteries around the 300-500 watt hours?

Cheers.

Hugh-Jazz

Jan 15, 2020
San Marcos, CA
There isn’t a Kenevo SL yet, as far as I know. The Levo SL is an amazing trail bike. Coming from a YT Decoy the Levo SL feels much more like a regular pedal bike but with plenty of help to make steep climbs less grueling. Expect to see bikes coming out that are in between the Levo SL and current full power e-bikes based around the Shimano EP8 motor.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I am close to pulling the trigger on a Levo SL (hoping to just get an S-Works frame and do a custom build around it). Part of my hesitancy is to wait to see what other manufacturers will be unveiling. I think a 35-38 lb eMTB is a perfect compromise for a "go farther, faster" bike.

RMez

Oct 7, 2020
Belfast
There isn’t a Kenevo SL yet, as far as I know. The Levo SL is an amazing trail bike. Coming from a YT Decoy the Levo SL feels much more like a regular pedal bike but with plenty of help to make steep climbs less grueling. Expect to see bikes coming out that are in between the Levo SL and current full power e-bikes based around the Shimano EP8 motor.

Sorry. I did mean Levo. Watching too many videos and lost my train of thought for a sec. :)

RMez

Oct 7, 2020
Belfast
I am close to pulling the trigger on a Levo SL (hoping to just get an S-Works frame and do a custom build around it). Part of my hesitancy is to wait to see what other manufacturers will be unveiling. I think a 35-38 lb eMTB is a perfect compromise for a "go farther, faster" bike.

The Lapierre drew my attention. The motor and battery are removable and you can replace the battery with a storage compartment and the motor with a crank set apparently and it turns into a standard MTB giving you the best of both worlds.

Neverbeentomoab

Jun 17, 2019
Middlesbrough
I own a base levo and I love it. I took a levo sl out for a lap of dalby which I ride a lot and didn’t really get on with it.I found it slightly more agile than my levo but it certainly didn’t feel like a normal bike.I used a lot more energy and came back sweating like a pig. I was significantly slower on the sl too about 25 mins for a full lap of dalby red. These are just my personal feelings so other people’s experiences will be different. I like having the extra power on hand if I need it but normally ride in eco and trail around dalby but used boost a lot on the sl.the one thing I liked about the sl was the range extenders they need to have them on the next normal levo.if not I’ll be buying a different brand that has them. I’d try full fat and lightweight e bikes if you can on a couple of different routes.

AB38D4D1-8EC2-4DA8-8FE3-80C4E04526A7.jpeg

EAC45AC1-D4D7-48EE-90EF-E62B19EE08D9.jpeg

RMez

Oct 7, 2020
Belfast
What are the trails like in Northern Ireland ? My wife’s from Bangor and might take the ebike over next time we visit family.

You have a few options but better if you have a car to get to the best spots. I would suggest:
Castlewellan Forest Park
Rostrevor (much better option for an ebike with the climbing involved)
Tollymore Forest which is where we spend our time. Great natural trails but the ebike is a nice to have to get the riding done as there is lots of ball breaking climbs.
Helens Tower (in Bangor, very VERY jump orientated but there is some good single track and trail riding to be done)
Cave Hill is another good option which is in Belfast

There are a few others but not really worth the effort for an ebike rider.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Myself and a couple of friends are thinking of making the switch to EMTB but for the type of riding we do here in Northern Ireland, my research so far, has me leaning towards the lighter weight bikes like the Specialized Kenevo SL, Lapierre Zesty AM or the NOX Helium. All are around the 18kg's mark but I was wondering if there are other options about the same weight and with the batteries around the 300-500 watt hours?

Cheers.
Take a look at Focus.
I have a Focus Jam2 9.6 Nine. That translates as a 150mm trail bike, carbon frame, 29er. It weighs 20.4kg and it has a 378Whr battery in the frame. The frame battery is not meant to be removeable except in the workshop. The motor is the Shimano e8000. I also have a Focus TEC pack that is an additional 378Whr battery (2.2kg) that clamps on to the downtube. I use it for trips expected to be longer than about 25m, or lots of climbing. I have been looking around and I can't think of what else I could by that would be better than what I already have.

Edit: The bike in question is a size Large!

Last edited:

Neverbeentomoab

Jun 17, 2019
Middlesbrough
You have a few options but better if you have a car to get to the best spots. I would suggest:
Castlewellan Forest Park
Rostrevor (much better option for an ebike with the climbing involved)
Tollymore Forest which is where we spend our time. Great natural trails but the ebike is a nice to have to get the riding done as there is lots of ball breaking climbs.
Helens Tower (in Bangor, very VERY jump orientated but there is some good single track and trail riding to be done)
Cave Hill is another good option which is in Belfast

There are a few others but not really worth the effort for an ebike rider.
Cheers for the tips. I’ll try a couple next time I’m over I’ve fancied doing rostrevor for a while now and helens towers is close enough to ride to from where I stay. Might even get a lap of kirroughtree in on the way over.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I have a Shimano based E160 and a LaPeirre eZesty. I think the choice really depends on who you're riding with. Ideally you'll all ride on a similar powered system or you'll equalise your group with bikes that allow you to travel together. On my local 12km XC loop which is hard ground and rooty the LaPierre is about 5-7 minutes slower than the E160. I still get up everything and on the really technical stuff there's not much difference. It's grinding up longer climbs where it's obvious. I work MUCH harder on the LaPierre if that matters from a fitness point of view. When I ride with my girlfriend or my son, who are beginners, it's much more fun for me on the eZesty.

If you're riding with accoustic bikes or all on lower powered units then the eZesty is great. But if you're riding with full powered bikes you need that.

The bikes are similar in geometry, except for the BB height and 10mm of fork but feel radically different on the trail. My 22.8kg Merida just blasts through everything. It feels incredibly planted and more stable. It has a short chainstay so it's still nimble. The 18.4kg LaPierre moves around on the same trail way more. Hopping over stuff is easier and I need to *ride* the bike more rather than letting the bike go on it own merry way. The E160 has double the battery life but not double the range. The LaPierre is far more efficient. Power wise the LaPierre on *rocket* is somewhere between eco and trail on the Shimano. I ride trail 95% of the time on the Shimano.

Both bikes are great fun. Just different.

Gordon

RMez

Oct 7, 2020
Belfast
Take a look at Focus.
I have a Focus Jam2 9.6 Nine. That translates as a 150mm trail bike, carbon frame, 29er. It weighs 20.4kg and it has a 378Whr battery in the frame. The frame battery is not meant to be removeable except in the workshop. The motor is the Shimano e8000. I also have a Focus TEC pack that is an additional 378Whr battery (2.2kg) that clamps on to the downtube. I use it for trips expected to be longer than about 25m, or lots of climbing. I have been looking around and I can't think of what else I could by that would be better than what I already have.

I didn't realise the Jam2 was as light as 20.4kg's.
The runs we do here would be lots less than 25 miles. Our longest run is about 30k's about 12k's of which would be steady climbing. That is why is was thinking something light with a 300 to 500 Watt Hour battery would more than handle we we would usually be throwing at it.

Thanks for the tip though. Having another bike in the mix gives me more options.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The runs we do here would be lots less than 25 miles. Our longest run is about 30k's about 12k's of which would be steady climbing. That is why is was thinking something light with a 300 to 500 Watt Hour battery would more than handle we we would usually be throwing at it.

Thanks for the tip though. Having another bike in the mix gives me more options.
Not all the Jam2 are as light as that. The alloy ones with the Bosch motor and 625Whr battery weigh quite a bit more. If you can get a carbon framed bike with the Shimano motor and the 378Whr battery, and then put on some lighter tyres instead of the 2.8" wide ones, and go tubeless, you could be looking at sub 20kg. I would still opt for the TEC pack as an option though. With a 756Whr battery, you have the option of an epic ride with zero range anxiety.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it's not.
Focus' published weighs will be for a size small with no pedals. so in reality it'll be closer to 21kg and with 25% less battery than a standard Emtb it really starts to become nothing special weight wise at all.
The REKON+ tyres they spec it with are exo casing so already very light (825g) so unless you go for an actual XC tyre you're not saving weight on tyres. Tubeless should save a small amount more weight though (so long as Focus haven't spec'd it with light weight tubes to keep the weight down)

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Riding buddy has the top of the range Focus and he has to use his tech pack when out with us on the Sl's or he'll be flat before us. Plus the electric shifting has been a nightmare, went over the bars and the cable severed inside the grip then later on ripped the mech off on a rock and had to pay £300 for a new one ???

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
it's not.
Focus' published weighs will be for a size small with no pedals. so in reality it'll be closer to 21kg and with 25% less battery than a standard Emtb it really starts to become nothing special weight wise at all.
The REKON+ tyres they spec it with are exo casing so already very light (825g) so unless you go for an actual XC tyre you're not saving weight on tyres. Tubeless should save a small amount more weight though (so long as Focus haven't spec'd it with light weight tubes to keep the weight down)
Err, yes it is!
The 2019 carbon frame weighs about 1kg less than the alloy frames. I have no idea about the 2021 bikes, where the alloy ones seem to have incurred a serious case of bloat.

My size Large 2019 Focus Jam2 9.6 NINE carbon framed bike weighs 20.4kg. It has 2.5" Maxxis HR11 3C WT Maxx Terra EXO TR front and rear, not the lightweight 2.6" Rekons, set up tubeless. There is a Mucky Nutz permanently under the fork and I have Ergon GP1 grips (which are heavier than the OE). The weight is without pedals. The Rekon tyre weighs 890g and the inner tube was 239gm, Total 1129gm. The HR11 weigh 1016gm, with let's say 100gm of sealant, total 1116gm. Nothing in it really as regards tyres.

I agree that the battery has 25% less Whr than the standard 504whr Shimano battery, but mostly it is all I need. I was happy with the proposition when I bought the bike and I remain so. When I add the 2.2kg TEC pack, I have 50% more than the standard battery Whr, and 20% more than the 625Whr Bosch batteries. I have yet to run out of battery on that combo.

Of course, the loophole that will make everyone happy is that I haven't checked the accuracy of my big scales! :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I stand corrected. and yeah, that's a really good weight Steve.
But have you weighed it recently?
what with all the compost it's been through and frequent attention from your watering can It may well have grown heavier :p

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I stand corrected. and yeah, that's a really good weight Steve.
But have you weighed it recently?
what with all the compost it's been through and frequent attention from your watering can It may well have grown heavier :p
The frame might be full of water of course!

Following the challenge, I went to double check what I'd written and found a slight flaw. The weight of 20.4kg was with tubeless 29x2.6" Rekons, whereas what I said above was that it was with tubeless 2.5" HRIIs, which are slightly heavier than the Rekons. So the bike will weigh 252gm more than I said, ie 20.65kg, not 20.4. Not that I had noticed!

The bike really needs washing before I will chance weighing it again or I may struggle to lift it off the ground. ?

ALLMTN

Aug 21, 2020
Northern Califonia
when buying your first E bike realize they weigh more and ride differently than regular light weight Mtb. one has to learn how to make the weight work for them. with regular mtb ,i want the lightest, most agile, well suspended bike to throw the highest and land the longest. with weighted powerful E bike i want to use the motor power to do more than i can do myself., so i must sacrifice some handling characteristics for power.E bikes increased my riding from 7-8 miles12 on a big day , to 25 to 40 on every ride. it really surprised me how much more
i wanted to ride. Enjoy the trails of the world.

CodyDog

Oct 22, 2020
Colorado/Texas
I looked at the Levo SL but ended up with the Levo Comp. I was intrigued with the lower weight but the increased power (4X versus 2X) and higher capacity battery of the Levo Comp fit my needs better. The SL is a very nice bike and worth the money if you are searching for a lighter EMTB.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles