Levo Gen 2 Levo vs Vado for commuting

deanlute

Jul 21, 2020
Johannesburg, South AFrica
Hi all.
First time posting on this forum, and would be grateful for any advice your eminences could give to me.
I would like to get a commuter ebike for a new venture in my life.
rules where I am - 25kph limit, pedal assist only.
The vado options are limited. only the 3.0 is available to us but none in stock until around november
The levo options are better. I have test ridden the levo turbo comp carbon and really like it.
I weigh 100kg and will be travelling 20km each way. 40km per day.
I want to arrive at work as least hot and sweaty as possible. I understand that an ebike requires some effort but I do other exercise (mainly running).
Both the levo and vado options are within my budget.
Is it inappropriate to use the levo as a commuter ebike? does the vado have a material advantage in terms of function? Is the levo 3.0 woefully underpowered for what I am looking for?
I have read on this forum that changing to road tires is helpful. I understand that getting mud guards will be necessary as well.
I have read that some are using a turbo levo as a commuter ebike and would like to hear more about your experience if you are willing to share.

thanks in advance

dean

deanlute

Jul 21, 2020
Hi all.
First time posting on this forum, and would be grateful for any advice your eminences could give to me.
The vado options are limited. only the 3.0 is available to us but none in stock until around november
The levo options are better. I have test ridden the levo turbo comp carbon and really like it.
I want to arrive at work as least hot and sweaty as possible. I understand that an ebike requires some effort but I do other exercise (mainly running).
Is it inappropriate to use the levo as a commuter ebike? does the vado have a material advantage in terms of function? Is the levo 3.0 woefully underpowered for what I am looking for?
I have read on this forum that changing to road tires is helpful. I understand that getting mud guards will be necessary as well.
I have read that some are using a turbo levo as a commuter ebike and would like to hear more about your experience if you are willing to share.

thanks in advance

dean

To add
I like the idea of a 700wh battery and the 2.1 motor.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
I can't say which would be better for you, but i use my levo to ride to work.
I just swapped the original tyres for better rolling on tarmac.
I've fitted a rapid racer small proguard to the front, a central coast mudguard for the rear junction and an SKS clip on rear guard for when it rains to stop my back getting soaked.
When it's really muddy and wet, I have a mudhugger rear guard I can fit.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Hi all.

thanks in advance

dean
Either way it's the best possible way to get to work.

Probably the most relevant question to ask - what are your roads like? Smooth & flat? Mountains of pain? Full of potholes like here? Typically Vado for smooth, Levo for rough although not necessarily. Are you able to take both for another test ride side by side? If you can, you will be the best judge. If you can't, I'd say get the Levo because dual suspension can go anywhere.

rockcypher

Jan 28, 2020
USA
I recently bought the wife a Vado 3. Just sold my specialized AWOL commuter, as my business has been impacted by the coronavirus and I’m no longer commuting by bike. If I were choosing between my Levo and a Vado, I would choose the Vado hands down for commuting. With the fenders, rear rack, lights, and front shock to take the edge off, it’s a no brainer. Plus you get class 3 abilities.

deanlute

Jul 21, 2020
I recently bought the wife a Vado 3. Just sold my specialized AWOL commuter, as my business has been impacted by the coronavirus and I’m no longer commuting by bike. If I were choosing between my Levo and a Vado, I would choose the Vado hands down for commuting. With the fenders, rear rack, lights, and front shock to take the edge off, it’s a no brainer. Plus you get class 3 abilities.
Class 3 not legal where we are so the bikes are (unfortunately) limited. I wonder if my weight and distance (40km) per day might overwhelm the vado 3.0

deanlute

Jul 21, 2020
Either way it's the best possible way to get to work.

Probably the most relevant question to ask - what are your roads like? Smooth & flat? Mountains of pain? Full of potholes like here? Typically Vado for smooth, Levo for rough although not necessarily. Are you able to take both for another test ride side by side? If you can, you will be the best judge. If you can't, I'd say get the Levo because dual suspension can go anywhere.
good roads. no major potholes. fairly flat. but no vados in stock anywhere so a test ride not possible at the moment. i'm in no major rush either. only going to make the change in feb/march next year. I am wondering whether the levo and vado are significantly different from eachother or whether the levo includes all the advantages of the vado (once I add mud guards etc)

rockcypher

Jan 28, 2020
USA
Class 3 not legal where we are so the bikes are (unfortunately) limited. I wonder if my weight and distance (40km) per day might overwhelm the vado 3.0
Hah! The wife’s Vado came with a class 1 sticker in the owner’s manual, I peeled off the class 3 sticker from the frame and applied the class 1. ?

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
I have a Levo SL, my brother has a Vado (class 3) so I have ridden both. His Vado also has a suspension seat post. We ride a mix of paved trails and dirt/gravel roads, I am happy to have my full suspension on the dirt but he has no trouble riding 20+ miles on dirt. On pavement the Vado has the edge even though I have cross-country tires. If your commute is paved I would say the Vado is your bike.
The Levo has only one water bottle spot and is not made for a rear rack or even a seat pack. Of course there is always the Vado SL... ;)

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Horses for courses dude. I would get a new wheelset for commuting with a separate cassette as you will wear out your lower cogs if you commute and then ride MTB at the weekend. As you say pop some road tyres on and the rolling resistance will be far less. You'll screw MTB tyres on the road.

Vado is just literally for road, but the Levo you can use off road as well. You can lock out the shock so it wont bob but honestly, if it was me I would get the Levo as you can do both. With road tyres it will roll really well. You should get there and back on one charge of the 700wh. Vado will be more 'comfy' but I can't say the Levo would be uncomfy for 40k a day.

rockcypher

Jan 28, 2020
USA
The wife is having no issues riding fire roads in CO on her Vado. These roads certainly aren’t single track, but the are loose surfaces and wash boarded and I would wager far exceed what would be encountered on a typical commute to work. So, depending on one’s definition of a road, saying the “Vado is just literally for road” may not be entirely accurate. Have you considered an ebike gravel style bike?

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
I can't say which would be better for you, but i use my levo to ride to work.
I just swapped the original tyres for better rolling on tarmac.
I've fitted a rapid racer small proguard to the front, a central coast mudguard for the rear junction and an SKS clip on rear guard for when it rains to stop my back getting soaked.
When it's really muddy and wet, I have a mudhugger rear guard I can fit.

Just curious which tire and size you're running? My wife has a Levo that she only rides on the street. Personally, long rides on a Levo on the pavement are not that fun. We'll be selling her Levo and buying her a Vado SL when they are available again.

Last edited:

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Just curious which tire and size you're running? My wife has a Levo that she only rides on the street. Personally, long rides on a Levo on the pavement are not that fun. We'll be selling her Levo and buying her a Vado SL when they are available again.
You didn't ask me specifically but I am running 27.5 x 2.2 Continental RaceKings. They are good on pavement and dry hardpack, not so good on mud or deep loose stuff. My other bike has Maxxis Crossmarks, still good on pavement and better on loose stuff than the Contis.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Running Vittoria mezcal 29x2.6
They're better than the stock tyres for pavement/road, but something like the maxxis hookworm would probably be better if I were only riding on tarmac

tnull5

Sep 2, 2020
Valencia, California
I have a Turbo Levo that I have totally upgraded. The only thing stock are the crank arms. That said, I find I ride mostly pavement. I have done up to 35 miles so far, will likely do longer rides in the future. Actually sold my Tarmac road bike. I do have two sets of wheels. For the road, running Pathfinder 42's. It makes the ride much more road bike like. I am in the process of putting on gravel bars and shifters. It is basically the most capable gravel E-bike out there. I keep up with many road riders on the routes I frequent. I have ridden some dirt roads and trails with only the 42's and had no problems. The MTB tires on the other wheels make it even more off road worthy.

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
I have a Turbo Levo and I have tried to use it for both mtb and commuting. In rain there is no question that a Vado is much better, as well as carrying load. I will most likely buy a Vado 5 to use for me and my wife to commute every other day.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I'm over 110 kg and commute on a '21 Levo Comp. Love it. I got an additional wheel set on eBay and commuting tyres, which made the 25 km/h wall much less obvious. Also made coasting the bike a reality. However, the more aggressive riding position makes it difficult for me personally to just cruise, so I still turn up at the office a bit sweaty. I spend a good portion of the ride at over 25, but the motor give some nice support, especially when accelerating away from lights, etc.

The full suspension makes going up and down curbs and steps a breeze :) Oddly enough, I also rather like using the dropper post when I know I'm going to be standing at a traffic light for a while. Both feet flat on the ground, giving the crotch a break!

If you go for it, I'd highly recommend getting commuting tyres. There have been several discussions about this topic. Plus an extra wheel set to reduce the faff of swapping tyres.

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
If I should have just one bike it would have to be the Levo. But it is not as good for commuting.

cuaion

Sep 16, 2019
Denmark
Vado SL all day! It ride sooooo good! If I couldn't choose Vado, I will take Levo SL.
Levo SL vs Vado SL, I will still pick the Vado

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
maybe a eMTB Hardtail with 500wh, less weight than full speced, needs also less energy, more flexible on terrains than an urban bike (vado).
There are also solutions with Male Rear Hub (quit, efficient) mostly Gravel Bikes, but you can change the bar to flat if that is a point. good luck.
if you start thinking of commuting with an eBike you should think about grocery. thats a big poont in some cases.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles