Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL Expert - Demo Ride

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
While my Levo receiving some much needed TLC from Bike Scene I borrowed their Levo SL Demo Bike.

The route was 16miles 2500ft climbing; I used 2 extenders first and finished with 84%. I used eco 65, trail 75 turbo 80 with 100% peak power on all.

With the 2 extenders, it's probably the same range as my Levo, maybe a touch more. The extenders work exactly like normal batteries, I was expecting it to feed the main battery! The first extender I got down to 4% before it felt like pedaling in sand, the 2nd to 8%. I had to power off\on to switch back to the main battery. I had a water bottle and the extender in my backpack didn't notice the weight.

Along the trail, it felt pretty much like my Levo just a touch slower. Strava said my average speed was a couple of mph slower than normal.

Climbing; This is where I noticed a massive difference. You have to work harder and quite a lot. I didn’t clean the stone staircase which I've cleaned on my Levo. Yes, the conditions were grim (storm Dennis) + had a different rear tire. But I did miss the punch of the Brose motor on the short techy climbs. I could see bits on my local trails where I'd be pushing the SL!!

Downhill; it pretty much feels like a normal bike, more lively and poppy. But I did miss the weight of my Levo through the rocky sections.

Other things I noticed; I changed gear loads, from the dinner plate cog to the next one down (maybe not used to 12sp?)! I was really impressed with the 2.6 Butcher tire. Motor noise isn't much different from the Brose. Lifting it over gates was easier. I loved the grips, they felt like the ODI from BTID.

I would love an SL for riding with non-ebikers.

Totally get the bike it’s gonna shake things up just not for me.

levo sl.jpg
stairs top view 2.jpg
stairs.jpg
levo sl.jpg stairs top view 2.jpg stairs.jpg

Last edited:

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Wow that climb looks insane!

BTW stock tyres at 2.3 on the SL - so I'm not sure they had changed them for you.

I was surprised you liked the stock grips, I hate them, they are coming off in the next few days.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
So you used 2 range extenders fully and the in frame battery with 84% left in that over the ride?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I take two range extenders and I have about the same range as my S-Works had with it's 700wh battery.
I have to work harder on the climbs, but it's faster everywhere else.

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
I take two range extenders and I have about the same range as my S-Works had with it's 700wh battery.
I have to work harder on the climbs, but it's faster everywhere else.

What’s the overall weight difference between the 700w Sworks vs the SL with two range extenders?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
What’s the overall weight difference between the 700w Sworks vs the SL with two range extenders?
Only one range extender fits on the bike, so the other one is in my hydration pack. The difference is almost 10lbs with how that bike is set up.
The thing I like the most about the SL is being able to pedal past the 20mph top speed, it just feels more natural.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
Only one range extender fits on the bike, so the other one is in my hydration pack. The difference is almost 10lbs with how that bike is set up.
The thing I like the most about the SL is being able to pedal past the 20mph top speed, it just feels more natural.
That's a good point. I never noticed the motor cutting in and out.

Al, how do you find the SL with other ebikers and the climbing?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
That's a good point. I never noticed the motor cutting in and out.

Al, how do you find the SL with other ebikers and the climbing?
It depends on wether or not they are using turbo or if they are derestricted. If they are in trail or eco there’s almost no difference.
Personally I hope to see more Ebikes going this direction than the bloated electric moped route.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles