Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL 2023 Megathread

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
On my Gen 1 I used to ride mine with the rubber band actually over the plug. Never had an issue with the extender coming out or the plug coming out.
To be honest though, even when I forgot it a few times the cable never came unplugged.
Maybe I don’t do big enough jumps!
The new shorter cable has zero play on my bike. I may need to lower the bottle cage, but the battery will rub against the door cover. I’m thinking any movement while shaking is pulling on the plug. Anyways I’m going to experiment with a fidlock or something…..making switching batteries even easier. Just not sure if a fidlock is strong enough to keep the battery attached to the bike….

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
Anyways I’m going to experiment with a fidlock or something…..making switching batteries even easier. Just not sure if a fidlock is strong enough to keep the battery attached to the bike….
I have used the RE mounted with Fidlock for some months with no problems - Twist Universal Connector
The battery plus Boa holder weighs 1.1 kg
Fidlock does not mentione any weight limit.
But Fidlock sells a holder for the Abus Bardo 6000/90 lock.
The lock weighs about 1.2 kg plus holder = 1,3 kg

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
I have used the RE mounted with Fidlock for some months with no problems - Twist Universal Connector
The battery plus Boa holder weighs 1.1 kg
Fidlock does not mentione any weight limit.
But Fidlock sells a holder for the Abus Bardo 6000/90 lock.
The lock weighs about 1.2 kg plus holder = 1,3 kg
Thanks for this info

Would you happen to have a pic of your set up?

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
My frameset has just arrived.. it really is a great looking bike! Colour also look better in person . I’m still going to order some frame/forks decals to brighten it up!
Does the rear brake cable just push through like the other Specialized bikes I’ve recently bought without dropping the motor?

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
My frameset has just arrived.. it really is a great looking bike! Colour also look better in person . I’m still going to order some frame/forks decals to brighten it up!
Does the rear brake cable just push through like the other Specialized bikes I’ve recently bought without dropping the motor?
Rear brake cable just pushes through.

You will need to drop the motor if installing a mechanical mech or dropper...

Lexle

Jun 4, 2023
Germany
My Black Beauty iss ready to rumble..

IMG_8932.jpeg
IMG_8927.jpeg
IMG_8928.jpeg
IMG_8925.jpeg
IMG_8924.jpeg
IMG_8922.jpeg
IMG_8917.jpeg
IMG_8929.jpeg
IMG_8931.jpeg

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Finished this with 26% battery - riding the whole thing on Trail, which I have set at 20/80. Just the main battery - no Range Extender.

I’ve done that ride many times before on my SL 1.1, which Trail was 30/80… and finished with about 40-45% battery.

Although I feel that 20/80 on the SL 1.2 is actually more powerful than 30/80 on the SL 1.1, I’m a bit worried about the battery consumption.
I have a route that uses about 80% of that ride, but adds another enormous climb to it and another 8 or 9 miles that I could ‘just’ do on my SL 1.1. There is no way I’m doing that on the main battery alone on the SL 1.2.

My Garmin actually warned me near the end that there wasn’t enough battery for my route!!

I might have to dial down to something like 15/50 and see what that comes out with.

IMG_4529.png

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
Finished this with 26% battery - riding the whole thing on Trail, which I have set at 20/80. Just the main battery - no Range Extender.

I’ve done that ride many times before on my SL 1.1, which Trail was 30/80… and finished with about 40-45% battery.

Although I feel that 20/80 on the SL 1.2 is actually more powerful than 30/80 on the SL 1.1, I’m a bit worried about the battery consumption.
I have a route that uses about 80% of that ride, but adds another enormous climb to it and another 8 or 9 miles that I could ‘just’ do on my SL 1.1. There is no way I’m doing that on the main battery alone on the SL 1.2.

My Garmin actually warned me near the end that there wasn’t enough battery for my route!!

I might have to dial down to something like 15/50 and see what that comes out with.

View attachment 119889
I'd be interested to see what the battery consumption is with the assistance set the same as the old bike. From what I have heard it's only above the 1.1 power limit, will the 1.2 use more battery as that's where the additional power is made.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I recommend using the microtune, really helps battery management on the sl and the FFs
How'd you mean?

I should really read the manual... but so far I've just set the 3 defaults (Eco 5/20, Trail 20/80, Turbo 100/100) and ride on Trail all the time. I'm 1 press away from Turbo when I need help on a technical climb.
I like the 'set and forget' simplicity!

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
How'd you mean?

I should really read the manual... but so far I've just set the 3 defaults (Eco 5/20, Trail 20/80, Turbo 100/100) and ride on Trail all the time. I'm 1 press away from Turbo when I need help on a technical climb.
I like the 'set and forget' simplicity!
So if you hold + on the controller, the bike goes into microtune mode. You'll increase the power in 10% increments, when riding normally i have 50% on trail, then 20-30% on fire roads, 70% if a climbs hard etc.

(note your display will no longer say eco etc but a percentage)

You adjust this on the fly using the + and - features on the remote. This saves visiting the app all the time and means you can cater your battery management with a lot more precision.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
So if you hold + on the controller, the bike goes into microtune mode. You'll increase the power in 10% increments, when riding normally i have 50% on trail, then 20-30% on fire roads, 70% if a climbs hard etc.

(note your display will no longer say eco etc but a percentage)

You adjust this on the fly using the + and - features on the remote. This saves visiting the app all the time and means you can cater your battery management with a lot more precision.
I did have a little play with that, but didn't spend a lot of time with it.

To be honest, I don't want to have to adjust the output whilst on the trail. I want to find a setting that I like, and leave it! I found 30/80 on my previous bike was ideal - gave me enough power, and optimum battery life / range. If I was struggling, I could knock it up to Turbo 100/100 for a few seconds to get over whatever obstacle was in my way. If my battery was at 30% and I still had a long way to go, then I could put it down to Eco (10/50) to finish the ride.

20/80 is too much on the SL 1.2. I think I'll try something like 15/50 next time.

The Microtune only lets you set both Support and Peak Power to the same level doesn't it?

Harold

Oct 30, 2020
Brussels
I did have a little play with that, but didn't spend a lot of time with it.

To be honest, I don't want to have to adjust the output whilst on the trail. I want to find a setting that I like, and leave it! I found 30/80 on my previous bike was ideal - gave me enough power, and optimum battery life / range. If I was struggling, I could knock it up to Turbo 100/100 for a few seconds to get over whatever obstacle was in my way. If my battery was at 30% and I still had a long way to go, then I could put it down to Eco (10/50) to finish the ride.

20/80 is too much on the SL 1.2. I think I'll try something like 15/50 next time.

The Microtune only lets you set both Support and Peak Power to the same level doesn't it?
While the former gen SL got dislike because of weak power (by some), I start to feel this new gen will be because of weak range. This is sad cause aside from unchanged small battery this bike is very appealing! A 400wh battery would have hit the sweet spot!

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
While the former gen SL got dislike because of weak power (by some), I start to feel this new gen will be because of weak range. This is sad cause aside from unchanged small battery this bike is very appealing! A 400wh battery would have hit the sweet spot!
Agree with this a lot. Battery management is definitely a lot more of a priority on the new model, which is a bit of a shame as it handles so good.

I do find I can get decent life out of it but I have to pay attention to what I’m doing a lot more than the older model.

It will be interesting how KSL owners get on with the new model which has the same battery/motor but with the added weight the KSL has.

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK

That’s correct bud. I understand not wanting to adjust all time but when you get use to it, it is a real game changer.

I’ve used MT on my full power since I’ve owned it, so I’m kind of use to it. I find it makes a lot of sense when your on those flats to turn it right down/off and with adding and deducting I find I can push myself to put more effort in also.

Each to their own! I use to run my Levo sl 1 in 30/80 and was perfect for battery.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
That’s correct bud. I understand not wanting to adjust all time but when you get use to it, it is a real game changer.

I’ve used MT on my full power since I’ve owned it, so I’m kind of use to it. I find it makes a lot of sense when your on those flats to turn it right down/off and with adding and deducting I find I can push myself to put more effort in also.

Each to their own! I use to run my Levo sl 1 in 30/80 and was perfect for battery.

30/80 was perfect for me about 99% of the time. Set and forget!

I'll have to have a play with the Microtune and see if I can get onboard.

Trail Blazer

Jun 13, 2021
Sweden
So basically...you will get SL 1 range and power with a SL 2 frame.
If you would like to ride it like a Rise 35-40-50 nm or similar you will need range extender when using to get a decent range.

Feels like the SL2 is a 2022 bike and now we are 2023 and awaits Bosch SX bikes this fall and early next year...

So is worth pulling the trigger for a Comp or Pro at this stage or wait for "sale" of stock bikes in September or wait for x,y,z to come to market?

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
So basically...you will get SL 1 range and power with a SL 2 frame.
If you would like to ride it like a Rise 35-40-50 nm or similar you will need range extender when using to get a decent range.

Feels like the SL2 is a 2022 bike and now we are 2023 and awaits Bosch SX bikes this fall and early next year...

So is worth pulling the trigger for a Comp or Pro at this stage or wait for "sale" of stock bikes in September or wait for x,y,z to come to market?
As much as i like the bike, I have to agree. You ain’t really using all the power it has, but I’ve heard same things goes the trek fuel exe? The trek was the only other one that peaked my interest but with weights or 19kg it just wasn’t light enough for me.

Trail Blazer

Jun 13, 2021
Sweden
As much as i like the bike, I have to agree. You ain’t really using all the power it has, but I’ve heard same things goes the trek fuel exe? The trek was the only other one that peaked my interest but with weights or 19kg it just wasn’t light enough for me.
I just sold my Rise M10 XL that was one size too big...just to buy SL 2 size S4 or large Exe....but a bit hesitant based on only a few mixed range reports.

Most of my riding 1-1.5 h 300-450 m elevation with the Rise was in a 35 nm ECO set up where 20-30% of battery was used. So it was not really any issue with a 360 battery and the RS tuned engine throttles well.

One can be a bit "biased" of a recent purchase of a bike, car, boat and looking at the pros vs cons to protect and investment.

I just also purchased the Orbea Wild M10 for my extended mountain tours so I am not trying to have a FF experience from SL2 or EXE. The Wild does not feel its weight but its not was agile as a lighter e-mtb.

Long story short...I want to have a bike that is more of an "analog" trail bike with enough power and range without the need to constant have a range extender. That hopefully won't loose half its value the first 2-3 months due to forthcoming SX bikes.

The Exe are on sale 20% at some dealers...

afk314

Apr 22, 2023
Boise, ID
The Levo SL is my first emtb. I wanted the closest thing to an acoustic bike that could give me some extra power to do the following things: go further on time constrained rides, make long rides much possible for me, and allow easy rides when my body needs a rest but I still want to get out. The SL does all of those for me. Anything that would drain the battery for me would be a big ride, and bringing the range extender would be no biggie. I charge to 80% and come home with 30% for my average run-of-the-mill ride 1.5 hours, 300m, avg heart rate of 135 or so.. 6', 200lbs on a S4 (probably shoulda got an S5). Little turbo, some mix of eco and trail. FWIW.

cañonaco

Feb 3, 2020
España
For me, the SL 2 runs much more than the original SL and consumes the same or less, obviously not if you go continuously in high modes.

ECO 20 is more powerful than the previous ECO 30 and also TRAIL 45, since I don't need more assistance, it consumes less!!!

Last Sunday, only 66% main battery, without RE.
Saturday 90% without RE.

IMG_2765.png IMG_2766.png

Trail Blazer

Jun 13, 2021
Sweden
The Levo SL is my first emtb. I wanted the closest thing to an acoustic bike that could give me some extra power to do the following things: go further on time constrained rides, make long rides much possible for me, and allow easy rides when my body needs a rest but I still want to get out. The SL does all of those for me. Anything that would drain the battery for me would be a big ride, and bringing the range extender would be no biggie. I charge to 80% and come home with 30% for my average run-of-the-mill ride 1.5 hours, 300m, avg heart rate of 135 or so.. 6', 200lbs on a S4 (probably shoulda got an S5). Little turbo, some mix of eco and trail. FWIW.
Sound like the one I'm looking for

Lloyders88

Jun 18, 2023
England
I‘m replacing 180mm rotors for 200mm with sram rsc code brakes on Levo SL gen 2, any one know the correct sram branded mounting brackets for front and back? Thanks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles