Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL 20,000.00 Canadian dollars

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
What a total joke Spesh give your head a shake 20k Canada I. For a bike with half the battery and half the motor power?????
The normal expert Levo I bought from you was 11k that was crazy enough but 20k lol. Maybe I’ll have to start looking at other brands from here in.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
What a total joke Spesh give your head a shake 20k Canada I. For a bike with half the battery and half the motor power?????
The normal expert Levo I bought from you was 11k that was crazy enough but 20k lol. Maybe I’ll have to start looking at other brands from here in.
I do t usually get heated but from 11k to 14k now to 20 in three years is a bit more than inflation.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
If you can't afford it, don't moan about it. There's plenty of other bikes out there.
12,000 pounds SL

honestly it’s not about affording I’ve had 3 Levos in four years now and I’m jut fed up of the price increases. Every year I justified it with now it’s carbon, now the battery is bigger, now it’s a new motor. What I find insulting is this time it’s half the battery size and a motor that’s less powerful and the price has gone up again. It’s not about being able to afford it, it’s about Specialized apparent race with themselves to make the most expensive emtb on the planet. It’s about value of what we are getting for our money more than anything and , in my opinion, this bike doesn’t deliver that at 20,000 Canadian dollars (approximately 12,000 pounds).

Last edited:

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
12,000 pounds SL

honestly it’s not about affording I’ve had 3 Levos in four years now and I’m jut fed up of the price increases. Every year I justified it with now it’s carbon, now the battery is bigger, now it’s a new motor. What I find insulting is this time it’s half the battery size and a motor that’s less powerful and the price has gone up again. It’s not about being able to afford it, it’s about Specialized apparent race with themselves to make the most expensive emtb on the planet. It’s about value of what we are getting for our money more than anything and , in my opinion, this bike doesn’t deliver that at 20,000 Canadian dollars (approximately 12,000 pounds).

If you have better ideas to make it as light as it is, please share them.
It is hole different type of ebike than normal levo.
E:spesh will never be the ”budget” brand.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
But..but.. you get to beta test a completely new drive system too... that went well last time. Give it a year or two, you’ll have other lightweight choices from other manufacturers at lower prices.
Another good point

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
If you have better ideas to make it as light as it is, please share them.
It is hole different type of ebike than normal levo.
E:spesh will never be the ”budget” brand.
The battery is substantially lighter because it is half the capacity, sort of reminds me of the emperors new clothes lol

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The battery may be half the capacity, but it also discharges at a slower rate due to the motor output and it being a 48v system.

Dont be suprised if we see a full fat Levo in the near future with a more powerful version of this motor, that runs a 500wh battery with more range than the current 700wh.

These top end bikes are no different to someone buying a supercar or similar, same philosophy that has always applied to any sort of high end bike. If I had the money I would probably splurge out, if for no other reason that I would enjoy walking into my garage and looking at it!

The reality Is that unless you are genuinely a top top rider, anything above a mid range bike from any brand is just a vanity purchase.

I had the pleasure of riding with one of the worlds top riders recently, and they had a bike running fox performance suspension on an alloy frame - I queried this and he said it was all he needed and anything higher specced was just a hassle to set up and maintain unless he had a mechanic dealing with it for him.

I used to work in the snowboard industry, and the sad fact is most people bought boards based off the graphics and if they thought it looked cool, even if it was totally the wrong board for them. Same for boots and bindings.

You see a lot of this in the bike world too, with people buying the bike they think is cool rather than the one is best for them. If you have the money, and its the right bike for you, fair play, but if you have the money and your just buying it to show off, that's another matter.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
honestly it’s not about affording I’ve had 3 Levos in four years now and I’m jut fed up of the price increases.
But £6k will get you the Carbon comp. (Same frame, motor, battery. No?)
The S-Works/Founders models would be a complete waste of money for me as neither are anywhere near a spec I'd want anyway.
Realistically I could buy a C Comp, sell the brand new Fox fork, wheels and NX groupset and with that money buy a set of more suitable (for me) wheels. Lyrik and 10 speed shimano drivetrain (cheapAF, light* & more durable)
Tempting as that is in all honesty It's not really the right bike for me and because of that I couldn't really justify it to myself.

*lighter than 12 speed Shimano XT or SRAM X01

Last edited:

gmurad

Jan 26, 2020
Toronto, ON
The battery may be half the capacity, but it also discharges at a slower rate due to the motor output and it being a 48v system

The first reason (weaker motor) makers sense but I've heard this 48v myth repeated a few times, not sure where it comes from. The battery pack being 48v has nothing to do with it. Battery energy is measured in Wh (Watt hour) which is a product of current x voltage. Consumption can be measured as Wh/km. At the end of the day it's the total number of cells in the battery pack that matters.

For example, if you have 60 cells you can either make a 10s6p (36V) or 12s5p (higher voltage) battery pack. if each cell is rated at 3500mAh capacity than the 10s6p pack would have total capacity of 10s * 3.6v * (6p * 3.5A) = 756 Watt Hour and the 12s5p pack would be 12s * 3.6v * (5p * 3.5A) = 756 Watt Hour. In the example I presented above a battery pack of higher voltage doesn't have better capacity.

gmurad

Jan 26, 2020
Toronto, ON
Regarding the original topic, 20K is tough, these bikes are costing the same as new entry level cars now or as much as a decent second hand car. The prices have hiked up to automotive levels but the reliability has not. Also cars have 5 years warranty on the drivetrains. Some will say this is an apples to oranges comparison but it’s hard not to make it with these prices.

@Mountie maybe look at the YT Decoy bikes, it’s almost double the value of specialized

Last edited:

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Regarding the original topic, 20K is tough, these bikes are costing the same as new entry level cars now or as much as a decent second hand car. The prices have hiked up to automotive levels but the reliability has not. Also cars have 5 years warranty on the drivetrains. Some will say this is an apples to oranges comparison but it’s hard not to make it with these prices.

@Mountie maybe look at the YT Decoy bikes, it’s almost double the value of specialized
Thanks for respecting my point of view and yes YT does look good the only think is I haven’t tried an e8000 year that the engagement isn’t on or off. Maybe the one I rode was broken?

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
When you think of it, It is a bit crazy when one of these with gobs more electronics, precision parts, and most likely 30x more engineering and development intensive, costs less than an ebike...and the motors dont blow every 500 miles :D

OECJXF3AZR7R6IFBZBJ5S4RCLE.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
When you think of it, It is a bit crazy when one of these with gobs more electronics, precision parts, and most likely 30x more engineering and development intensive, costs less than an ebike...and the motors dont blow every 500 miles :D

View attachment 25809
Yes but bare in mind that motorcycles have been in existence for 100 plus year and subject to constant development over that time, with significant economies of scale compared to EMTB's many of which are ground up first time designs/developments

I dont disagree that comparing an EMTB to plenty of other products shows dramatic lack of value, but also its perfectly possible to get a great EMTB for sub 5k, and even considerably less than that.

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland

View attachment 25809

Kind a joke to compare ebike to a motorbike as they have been available since world was flat.
Ebikes have here for couple of years.

Just dont buy them if you are worried about some problems that might arrive.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
12,000 pounds SL

You forgot the part where its the same weight as a regular enduro bike.

HKP57

Jul 7, 2018
Central Scotland
Quite simple dont buy the Founders limited edition which is $20k CAD which at todays exchange rate is £11660 GBP, In the UK the RRP price is £12,500 GBP so who is getting ripped off here.

And anyway buy a non limited edition like Carbon Expert for under $12k CAD which is still $500CAD less than the UK and stop being a drama queen.

Founders CAD.JPG

Founders UK.JPG

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
The mid range price now is 16,999.00 as there is no base model of this bike just a comp. the price range is from 9k to 20k. Prior to the Levo was 6k to 14k that’s a big price jump for less battery and less power is more my axe in point.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
I lived in the UK for 14 years and yes you do pay way more than we do for the same bikes with a motor or.not.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
The mid range price now is 16,999.00 as there is no base model of this bike just a comp. the price range is from 9k to 20k. Prior to the Levo was 6k to 14k that’s a big price jump for less battery and less power is more my axe in point.

And less weight.

16.9kg is approximately 2/3 the weight of my kenevo, about 2% heavier than my Tracer (non ebike).

If you don't like the price, don't pay it, but the point of the SL is that it is much lighter than other levos and that's something you have to pay for. If you dont want to pay for it, buy a regular levo, or one of the other excellent ebikes on the market.

Bloody dentists.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
And less weight.

16.9kg is approximately 2/3 the weight of my kenevo, about 2% heavier than my Tracer (non ebike).

If you don't like the price, don't pay it, but the point of the SL is that it is much lighter than other levos and that's something you have to pay for. If you dont want to pay for it, buy a regular levo, or one of the other excellent ebikes on the market.

Bloody dentists.
How did you know?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles