Levo Sizing

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
Hi all I am hoping for some advice. I have on order a Levo Comp Carbon in size medium and I'm having second thoughts about the size. I am 5ft 10 with around a 32 inch inseam. I was told by a local Specialized Concept store that large would be much too big based on me sitting on a 2018 s works (this was static though and I didn't ride it. I've been to see Chris at Berkshire which is where I placed the order and from what I have read large is more in line with my measurements, its also more in line with the size of mountain bikes I already have. Based on the specialized website I am in the middle of medium and large and I wondered did anyone have any advise on whether to size up or down.

Cheers all.

Jon

Hector

Oct 24, 2018
South West
I cannot give advice but have a similar issue. Specialized Concept Store suggested a medium, I then briefly test rode a large alloy 2019 Levo elsewhere (I have not ridden a medium) so have ordered a large Carbon Comp from Berkshire in blue tint.
I am also 5ft 10 with a 32inch in seam at 75KG, but have been wondering if I should have ordered a medium? I think because we are in the middle of sizing it is hard to say for sure without spending a day out on each.
Currently I ride a 2010 Lapierre 314 in medium and find it OK for climbing etc but riding all day I feel a little cramped due to its size and geometry.

I wonder also if any owners of 2019 Levo with the same body stats as us can give any recommendations?

Regards

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
If its any help im about 5.10 and i ride a a 2018 large and if anything i wouls say its a little short for me. The 2019 bikes are about 15mm longer in the top tube and and about the same in the reach for me that would be perfect.
My wife rides a 2018 medium levo and she is 5.6

Whizz

Oct 23, 2018
Belgium
I have a specialized enduro 2017 size M (reach 430mm) and my turbo levo 2019 size M feel more stretched.

It should be 440mm of reach with my 50mm stem instead of 45mm originally on the bike but I measure 457mm of reach with 1 spacer of 5mm under the stem

I’m 5’10, and 32" for the legs

Last edited:

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
I went the other way. On paper between small and medium at 5ft 5. Demoed a medium and it felt like a tank, so went for a small to get as much playfulness as possible. IMO many size up for stability but the weight of an ebike provides this, without needing to increase the wheelbase. Definitely the right decision for me as I can throw the small around much easier.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I am 5 9 and currently ride a Large 2018 Levo, I did shorten the stem to a 45 mm one as I was a bit stretched.
However I have to have the seat post pushed all the way into the frame to the collar, and it's only just about right.
As a result of the 2019 models being a bit longer and now having a 160mm dropper post, I have opted for a medium.

Chris hannan

Aug 12, 2018
Chesterfield
Hi I've got the Levo comp fsr in large 2019, I'am nearly 6ft, 32 inch inside leg, large really does feel better, I tried X land med, large felt so much more comfortable

Hector

Oct 24, 2018
South West
Hi, Just an update I collected my Comp Carbon Levo yesterday from Berkshire bikes.
Chris and his team were really helpful I might add, and if anyone is in the market for a bike I would strongly consider paying them a visit.
I test rode both a medium and large back to back and found the large a better fit for me. They do look big but after some basic measuring this morning the actual seat tube and reach match my medium Lapierre.
Hope this helps others with sizing dilemmas.

Cheers

Motoxfreak

Oct 5, 2018
San Antonio, Texas
Hi all I am hoping for some advice. I have on order a Levo Comp Carbon in size medium and I'm having second thoughts about the size. I am 5ft 10 with around a 32 inch inseam. I was told by a local Specialized Concept store that large would be much too big based on me sitting on a 2018 s works (this was static though and I didn't ride it. I've been to see Chris at Berkshire which is where I placed the order and from what I have read large is more in line with my measurements, its also more in line with the size of mountain bikes I already have. Based on the specialized website I am in the middle of medium and large and I wondered did anyone have any advise on whether to size up or down.

Cheers all.

Jon
Thats strange. Went to my local Specialized store, they had a medium and large and said I needed a large. I am 5'9". I demo'd that bike all weekend and found it to be great for me. Good luck with your choice.

Cal

Nov 1, 2018
Edinburgh
Hi Guys, I'm 6'1.5" (187cm) with 34.25" (87cm) inseam. I rode a 2019 Levo in L and it seemed fine. Seat tube length was perfect but I rode a stumpjumper Evo with a larger reach (S3 size, as they didn't have an XL Levo) and I liked the extra reach. They're getting an XL Levo in from the warehouse for me which I'll try on Sunday so see how it goes but it has a 2" longer seat tube! It seems I'm right on the limit between L and XL so I can ride either. I've been riding a Medium (which was a mistake) 2012 Giant Trance for years so the L Levo 29er will already be a massive increase in stability, perhaps the XL will be overkill? I prefer the colour and price of the L which is available in the base whereas the XL is in the comp spec. I'm thinking I'll upgrade the shock and fork anyway so might as well save the money and go for the cheaper model if size wasn't an issue. Thoughts? Thanks.

Nando Lope

Sep 30, 2018
Jaca y Zaragoza
Hi Guys, I'm 6'1.5" (187cm) with 34.25" (87cm) inseam. I rode a 2019 Levo in L and it seemed fine. Seat tube length was perfect but I rode a stumpjumper Evo with a larger reach (S3 size, as they didn't have an XL Levo) and I liked the extra reach. They're getting an XL Levo in from the warehouse for me which I'll try on Sunday so see how it goes but it has a 2" longer seat tube! It seems I'm right on the limit between L and XL so I can ride either. I've been riding a Medium (which was a mistake) 2012 Giant Trance for years so the L Levo 29er will already be a massive increase in stability, perhaps the XL will be overkill? I prefer the colour and price of the L which is available in the base whereas the XL is in the comp spec. I'm thinking I'll upgrade the shock and fork anyway so might as well save the money and go for the cheaper model if size wasn't an issue. Thoughts? Thanks.

Hi there!
I’m also a 187cm tall rider riding happily the new XL Levo. I was also worried about bike sizes but I got both answers form local dealer and Specialized Spain: “You are XL” I come from an 2014 L 29’ stumpy and I can feel the difference (only 3 rides in local trails). I feel better on the XL. It is maybe a bit more difficult to control in hard turns but it’s due to heavier bike and the increase of speed downhill.
When I watch myself riding the previous bike (in my videos) I look more like a NBA player. Now I think the bike fits better with my body. Anyway, I’d probably ride well a L size.
To sume up, I would take manufacturer’s advise into account, they designed the bike!!!
Hope it helps. Good riding!!

OrionNZ

Oct 23, 2018
New Zealand
I am also the same dimensions as the OP and went with a 2018 Medium. Enjoy the 'agility' of the slightly smaller frame compared to a L through tight twisty stuff, and don't feel cramped at all on steady open terrain. Have a lot of time on road race and dirt motorcycles anyway so like to get my weight over the front wheel a lot. Climbing and descents are fine.

Berberi123

Nov 3, 2018
Finland
Hi,
Another sizing question here. Im about to order Levo 2019, and would need a bit advice with the correct size. I'm 5'11 with longer limbs and shorter torso (inseam around 34).

I'm thinking that size L would be correct for sure? I'm about to pull the trigger and order one, but just wanted to double check from here. I really prefer bikes that fit me rather large than smallish.

Thanks in advance!

Cal

Nov 1, 2018
Edinburgh
Hi,
Another sizing question here. Im about to order Levo 2019, and would need a bit advice with the correct size. I'm 5'11 with longer limbs and shorter torso (inseam around 34).

I'm thinking that size L would be correct for sure? I'm about to pull the trigger and order one, but just wanted to double check from here. I really prefer bikes that fit me rather large than smallish.

Thanks in advance!

Large for sure.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I'm 5 9 and had a 2018 Levo in large, have just bought the 2019 in medium, took it out for a 30 mile ride today, absolutely made the right choice in size, and I was agonisingly like yourself.
It's so much more nimble and flickable than my 2018.
I think you should go with your gut and get the medium, at 5 10 you are still in the correct size range.
I also moved my stem up one spacer and it feels perfect now.

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
Well today was the day. As it happens there was a mix up with the sizing when I went to collect. This resulted in a size medium being brought out. Now given that I had only experienced a size medium in the 2019 model and a large in the 2018 Kenovo it meant that today was the first time I got to try medium and large in the 2019 Levo 2019 range. The medium was a carbon and the large was an alu so yes the large certainly felt like it was more to heft about. The shop adjusted the rear shock pressure for the correct sag on the medium and got the saddle to a more suitable height and out I went again. I have to admit that the large felt much more comfortable to sit and pedal, the medium felt like I was more cramped and I felt like I was leaning forwards a lot more. Whilst there is not a lot in it in terms of bike length there is a big difference in bar height and I think it was this that made the large just feel more comfortable. I have a Whyte T129 in size medium which always felt like I was leaning too far over the front wheel, my 19.5 inch Remedy always feels like I am in more control in terms of not going over the bars. Long story short I went with the large but cant stop wondering if medium would have been better. The guy in the shop had some really good advice which was ignore the spec on paper, ride the bike and see which one feels more comfortable, then get out there and ride.

In an ideal world I would have got a demo on one and taken it to my usual trail but that wasn't possible.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Simply because slacker H/As don't steer as nicely with overly long stems.

Longer explanation:
Just Bend your elbows a tiny bit more and bring your chest closer to the stem to weight the front tyre more.
It's the riders weight placement that weights the wheels for grip. not the position of the stem. Especially stood up where it matters.
Having your bars too high also affects weighting the front wheel.
it's all a compromise though.
on an mtb adding 15-20mm to the stem length makes a smaller difference to fit than it does to steering response. it's not like it's a roadbike where you're pedalling in one position most of the day.

Having said all that fit whatever you want. it's your bike.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks. And how does handlebar length and seat position (fore and aft) come into play?
Come into play with what? Sizing?

Saddle should ideally be positioned for efficeint comfortable pedalling and seated comfort while climbing and on the flat.
Saddle position is fairly irrelivent while descending as it'll be dropped and onlr really used as a contact point to use with your inner thigh/ or pinch of suicide no handers are your thing)
bar width is an entirely down personal preference. a wider bar can give you more control and stability but too wide and it can become detrremental.
Bar and controls position should always be set up for best control when stood up rather than seated as that's where it matters most.

All of these things will be somewhat personal to you, your flexibility and your riding style and the terrain you prefer riding.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Try reading what I actually said.

But... to confirm.
You're washing the front end out while cornering seated?
Is there a reason you're cornering on terrain loose enough to wash the front tyre while seated that you haven't disclosed?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles