Levo Gen 3 Levo replacement motor older than original motor

msruby64

Mar 25, 2020
US
I bought a 2022 Gen 3 Levo several weeks ago. The motor had a loud buzzing sound, so I had the bike shop order a replacement motor. The original motor had a build date of Dec 3, 2021. After the replacement motor was installed, I noticed the build date was Nov 29, 2020--older than the original motor. Just curious if anyone else has had replacement motors that were 2 - 3 years old and if it's anything I should be concerned about.

msruby64

Mar 25, 2020
US
I’d imagine that the replacement motor is a rebuilt unit. If it is then I’d think more attention was used in the rebuilding, fully tested and such. I wouldn’t worry about it.
Hopefully, the rebuilt motor has all the latest upgrades such as improved belt and sprag clutch.

msruby64

Mar 25, 2020
US
It would have all the updates…. There’s probably more attention paid to a rebuilt motor than one that comes off the assembly line.
I spoke with Specialized customer support, and the person assured me that the motor would have all the latest updates, however, he said that it would not be a rebuilt motor. Supposedly, It's one of a group of motors that they have as replacements.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I spoke with Specialized customer support, and the person assured me that the motor would have all the latest updates, however, he said that it would not be a rebuilt motor. Supposedly, It's one of a group of motors that they have as replacements.

I may be wrong (there is a lengthy motor thread which goes into details) but I thought the major new components such as the new belts and clutches were only introduced in motors built after July 2021? (i.e. the 2.2 motor internals)

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
For new motors yes they had some slightly upgraded internals, but if they are providing you with a reman unit, then it would have used the new part numbers for the post 07/2021 updates. Also, if its under warranty, don't worry about it, unless your planning on a endurance cross-country race, and you need additional assurance that you won't break down. However, if I was doing something like that I would probably just buy a spare motor anyway.

msruby64

Mar 25, 2020
US
I may be wrong (there is a lengthy motor thread which goes into details) but I thought the major new components such as the new belts and clutches were only introduced in motors built after July 2021? (i.e. the 2.2 motor internals)
If anyone can point me to the thread that indicates when 2.2 updates occurred, I'd appreciate it.

msruby64

Mar 25, 2020
US
For new motors yes they had some slightly upgraded internals, but if they are providing you with a reman unit, then it would have used the new part numbers for the post 07/2021 updates. Also, if its under warranty, don't worry about it, unless your planning on a endurance cross-country race, and you need additional assurance that you won't break down. However, if I was doing something like that I would probably just buy a spare motor anyway.
Definitely not doing any endurance races, but I would like to make sure that the replaced motor has all the updates.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles