Levo: Question about the correct charging process

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
The Specialized manual says:
1) Plug the charger’s plug into an outlet (100 - 240V)...
2) Uncover the charging socket on the battery, then connect the charging plug with the charging socket on the battery.

I always thought you make it up the other way.
(And that's how I did it with my KTM Kapoho):
First battery plug, then mains plug.

How do you do it?

estoril

Patreon
Sep 28, 2018
UK
I always leave my charger plugged into the wall whether it is charging the battery or not

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Whichever order you make the connections the socket should not be switched on until last.

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
I'm sorry to ask again:
If I get you right, you recommend to first connect charger to ebike and then plug in to socket?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
As far as I am concerned you complete all connections then switch the socket on. What order you connect everything should make no difference if the circuit is not powered.

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
Ok, I get it!
(I was a little bit confused because my wall socket outlet has no switch, the power-cable doesn't have a switch either.)
That is, as described in the Levo manual (see opening-posting), one should not do it.

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I assume the manual makes the assumption that you are using a switched socket, hence the order they recommend. I would change to using a switched socket if you have one, it does not matter what order you make the connections then provided the socket is switched off. When all connections are made then switch the socket on. If you do not have a switched socket I would think it safer to connect the plug to the socket last.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles