Lev dropper post and upper clamp failure

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
My 2018 Jam2 came with a 125mm LEV dropper post. I was able to find a 150mm version of that model online and sold mine for the same amount so it was an even trade. I used the 150mm version until it developed a lot of rotational motion and decided to upgrade to a 175mm Lev Integra. This fit except for the fact that the upper collar area is about 10mm taller than the dropper it replaced. Since I planned to run it inserted all the way, it turned out to be a bit tall for me. So I had to order the 150mm LEV Integra (The Integra is an upgrade).

In swapping out the two posts I noticed that the upper clamp had failed. It was bowed and cracked in four spots, one very noticeable. I ALWAYS use a torque wrench to tighten all fittings on my bike and in this case I never tightened the upper seat clamp up to or beyond the 10 nM etched on the part. I only went to about 8 nM since I thought 10 nM was pretty high. I am very sure of this. And the new 150mm upper clamp is a different design and a much stiffer part (I'm a mechanical engineer that has a background in finite element analysis). The US vendor claims I over torqued this in spite of my insistence otherwise. Guess that means he is calling me a liar, lol. Oh well so much for the customer is always right.

It's only a $15. part so I tried to order the stronger part and found that in the US there is yet a 3rd design of this part, hopefully stronger than the first. I did find the 2nd stiffer design online but only from European stores, very odd. Given that there at least 3 upper clamp designs out there and I found online comments of this part being a weak link with LEV droppers, it's obvious LEV knows about this. The first design is dangerous in my opinion since if this fails in the wrong situation it could cause serious injury. I'm just lucky I'm a very picky rider or that might have been my result. If you have a LEV with the first design I suggest that you at least inspect it and look for cracks. I would never run one of the weaker clamps again and will probably go to something like the Bike Yoke dropper in the future. The first pick is one of the failed weaker part on the left and the new one on the right. I've also included a link to what I had to order as a replacement here in the USA. I'll post a backside pic once I get it to compare. I hope this helps to inform and protect others.

IMG_5850.JPG

IMG_5851.JPG

IMG_5852.JPG

new part and old cracked part.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles