Focus Sam 2, how to remove the dropper post?

Will337

Jan 11, 2021
South East
Hey all - The thread on the stock seatpost collar on the Focus Sam 2 6.8 seems to be made out of chocolate! Managed to rip out the entire thread, I always use a torque wrench and set at 6nm as necessary.. Anyway having trouble removing the dropper post, not enough cable slack. I'm assuming it's a battery or motor drop at this point? If so what a complete faff for something so trivial!

Thinking of getting a Hope or Nukeproof QR clamp will either of these be sufficient? Also open to recommendations, thanks!

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
On my Focus Thron I pop off the battery and then pull the slack of the cable that is by the bars down to the bottom bracket, then giving me enough slack to remove the post. Then when done, pull the slack back to the bars.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Haven't had to do it yet on mine, but what Landy Andy says sounds about right, take out the battery and I think there are a couple of cable clamps behind it. Even if pulling the slack from the bars doesn't get you enough to get the post up high enough in the seat tube to see the where the cable connects to the dropper post, you can easily disconnect the cable at the lever end to give you more slack. I think any aftermarket clamp will be great, personally, I always think a quick release type one is much better than just a bolt type one.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
You should be able to get it out by slackening the lever clamp & if necessary removing it from the bars. This will give you enough slack to pull the post up beyond the top of the seat tube & remove the collar nut from the post. Can't remember exactly how it went with my Sam but you may have to move the Purion & brake lever too in order to get to the lever clamp.

Will337

Jan 11, 2021
South East
Thanks guys got it off.. I had to do this :

* Undo the 3mm hex screw holding the dropper switch, removing it from the handlebar
* Undo the front of the stem 4 x 4mm hex bolts (It has this stupid cable management system (load of crap)
* Find the keys for the battery lock and unlock it
* Undo 2 2mm hex screws at the bottom of the battery cover, then 2 more 3mm hex screws holding this metal clip thing.
* Drop the battery out and unclip the dropper cable from the guides
* Push the cable through the stem until enough slack to pull the seat post out

Not too bad, avoided a motor drop at least.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles