Let’s Be Careful Out There - Cannock Chase Mugging

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Get a canister of pepper spray and strap it to your bars.
Always tricky when you read snippets like this. You’re never in possession of all of the facts.
Chances are it was very close to the car park (easy escape). Difficult to imagine how two men could make a quick get away together, one with an ebike. I mean, he didn’t simply jump on it, select turbo and wheelie off at high speed.
I think I’d be able to follow closely and keep up if it was me then make an almighty row once back at the car park screaming RAPE or similar.

Aikone

May 28, 2021
UK
It crossed my mind last time my house insurance renewed to check this was covered and it is.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
You really don't want to do that - as far as I am aware, Pepper Spray is classified as a firearm in the UK and possession carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison!
I didn’t necessarily mean that particular device, more the sort of thing a female would carry, whatever that is.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@JetSedgwick In the American movies that we see in the UK, the police always turn out in force for just about anything. Never less than two armed officers for even a noise complaint! In the UK, you can get high definition CCTV evidence of the perpetrators, car number plates etc and all you get is a crime number so that you can lodge a claim with your insurance company. Yet they never seem to be lacking in numbers for "hate crimes" which in this country can be perceived as one, therefore they are one; even if they do not meet the legal definition of an actual crime. It appears that anything "woke" is OK, even violent protests. For example the mob in Bristol that demolished and defaced a statue and tipped it in the river, were not hindered by the police who were in attendance.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I didn’t necessarily mean that particular device, more the sort of thing a female would carry, whatever that is.
A 130db noise alarm. It is that loud close up that it not only temporarily deafens you but is painful and disorienting as well.
I gave one (an alarm) to a female friend of mine and she decided to demonstrate it in a quiet market town at lunchtime. Ye Gods!!! :eek:

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
This seems to be getting common….. Some insurance companies are even offering cover for this now (e.g. Assetsure who aren’t a rip-off company)…

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
The risk will only do down when they implement what car radios, sat nav and mobile phones have had. Some form of bricking them if they are stolen.

Bikers should be demanding that from Shimano and Bosch. Some one mentioned in France all bikes have to be registered I won't mind that.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Air Tags? Hidden some on my Bikes. Seem to work. I don’t think they’re the only solution.

C5430C62-F737-476B-9022-2480F104AEED.jpeg

Oct 22, 2020
California
Situations like these always concern me since I often ride solo. Closest thing I've experienced to this are half a dozen threats from cycling purist who deeply oppose electric mountain bikes. Because of this, I bring a Byrna HD loaded with pepper projectiles in my hip pack.

I've not personally tested the pepper projectiles on myself but youtube vids shows that these projectiles are very effective.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Closest thing I've experienced to this are half a dozen threats from cycling purist who deeply oppose electric mountain bikes. Because of this, I bring a Byrna HD loaded with pepper projectiles in hip pack.
That would get you arrested in the UK for simply carrying it, never mind using it on a poor disenfranchised yoof who was always good to 'is ol mum and never dun nuffink to no one gov.

And on another, more serious note, you'd actually use that on someone you were having a disagreement with? I find it hard to believe that these cycling purists would get physical over what bike you ride!

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Any keyboard warriors would do well to remember that no bike is worth dying for, so unless you really are Chuck Norris the only things that'll get damaged if you hand it over are your pride and insurance excess.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I am. Aren't you? The bike is on my house insurance as a named valuable which has theft cover that includes mugging. Even if you're not insured it's still not worth dying for.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I am. Aren't you? The bike is on my house insurance as a named valuable which has theft cover that includes mugging. Even if you're not insured it's still not worth dying for.
yes I am, not with the house cos it only covered to a grand and only theft from home so I bought a separate policy for about £25 / month..
I bet not everyone does though..

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
separate policy for about £25 / month..
I bet not everyone does though..
At those prices I'm not surprised. I don't pay much more than that for home contents insurance with Lloyds!
Like you, bikes up to £1000 were insured without being listed, but it allowed me to add my other bikes as named valuables with new for old and accidental damage cover for about £4pm extra.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
At those prices I'm not surprised. I don't pay much more than that for home contents insurance with Lloyds!
Like you, bikes up to £1000 were insured without being listed, but it allowed me to add my other bikes as named valuables with new for old and accidental damage cover for about £4pm extra.
I wish my insurance was that cheap :D my home insurance was recently just over £2K but I managed to get it down :D

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
If you have to fight to keep you bike/wallet what ever just give it to them.

My mind change on this when I lived just off the local high street in a fairly posh area but drunks, dodgy types and teens would hang around the alley next to us. I was always having to go out and scare them off. This one day there was a bunch of 14/15yearold girls at the back of my place (which i had no access to but could see) they looked mostly like teen girls but were being really loud but I couldn't work out what was going on. I was about to tell at them to clear off when suddenly one girl grab another and a few of them tussled, hitting each other. I screamed at them and the fright broke up. One of girls pulled up her shirt and she'd been stabbed in the stomach, I don't think she even knew till she saw it, she didn't react either. I told my wife to call the police and an ambulance.

I never saw the knife, I never thought girls of 14-15 would stab anyone.

Oct 22, 2020
California
@Doomanic electric mountain bikes hasn't been fully accepted in California. Some parks are making efforts to allow e-mtbs by doing pilot programs to study the effects of e-mtb on trails:

With this said, the e-mtb community in my area is a minority group and we do experience negative encounters from the non-electric mountain bike community from time to tiime. I, myself, have been corralled and threatened by 4 gents on acoustic mountain bikes demanding me to get off the trail eventhough e-mtbs were allowed. I've also had somebody try to push me off a cliff after getting their permission to pass. There was even one time, were 2 women mountain bikers had jumped in and saved me from a very aggressive gentlemen. Again, all my negative encounters have all been on e-mtb allowed trails.

Just to clarify, I have no animosity or hatred towards non-electric mountain bikers but I do want to protect myself.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
@Doomanic electric mountain bikes hasn't been fully accepted in California. Some parks are making efforts to allow e-mtbs by doing pilot programs to study the effects of e-mtb on trails:

With this said, the e-mtb community in my area is a minority group and we do experience negative encounters from the non-electric mountain bike community from time to tiime. I, myself, have been corralled and threatened by 4 gents on acoustic mountain bikes demanding me to get off the trail eventhough e-mtbs were allowed. I've also had somebody try to push me off a cliff after getting their permission to pass. There was even one time, were 2 women mountain bikers had jumped in and saved me from a very aggressive gentlemen. Again, all my negative encounters have all been on e-mtb allowed trails.

Just to clarify, I have no animosity or hatred towards non-electric mountain bikers but I do want to protect myself.

Jeez that’s mental. Why the hatred towards emtb’s ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles