Land Rover Explorer?

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
I desparately need an alternative to Paper OS maps because out on the trails and wind the maps are a PITA and becoming shredded.
I dont have a smart phone but my family desperately want me to get one so they can find me when I fall off!
Anyone using the Land Rover Explorer its both phone and satnav ,pricy but on special offer with £100 off with OS maps and dedicated SatNav and extended battery........ sounds interesting .....any MTB reviews?? Christmas is coming and I need a pressie for me !! Or what is the alternative ?
Have fun
Ps yes there are several #navigation# threads but not found this LR explorer mentioned.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Just buy a cheap Android phone, job done.
Styled that out...
Like a boss!

meme-glasses-with-joint-or-thug-life-or-like-a-boss-vector-id944193146

mymodel6

Oct 2, 2018
Hertfordshire
You could/maybe should, get a second hand one. It's to go on a bike first of all, smashy smashy crashy crashy. You'll easily get one for under £100 that'll do everything you want to do and then you really can do the coke and hookers thing...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Whoever it was that first suggested the coke and hookers thing has since deleted their post!

Thanks for that! :)
Er... No Dude the original suggstion is still up there.
You're probably just giddy from reading the words of such a dreamy guy.

mike tatt

Oct 11, 2018
Worsthorne, Lancashire
Hi OldBean

I use the Ordnance Survey App

If you're in the UK - you could purchase an Explorer map for your area - about £8 - you get a code with the paper map to download a digital version of the map to your phone (when you get one - lol)

It's as high res as it gets - loads of detail - and if you get lost - as I frequently am - press a button onscreen and it shows your location.

I tried a few other map apps - but they didn't give the detail the OS version does - and it's pretty simple to use.

Cheers
Mike

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Hi Mike that is the direction I was thinking....need to obtain a Samsung Galaxy S7 as this has good reviews for SatNavitus.
And there is no beating the OS maps. With the saving over the LR Explorer I will be able to buy TEC battery extender for my Focus.......too old for the other suggestion!!
Thanks and Have Fun

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Leftfield suggestion I know but have you considered buying a dedicated bike GPS unit for your mapping?
You can pick up S/H Garmin 800s for around £80 and the OSM mapping (very close to OS) is free to DL
Then any old smart phone in your pack for emergencies and no need to worry about battery life of either device

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
The dedicated sat nav screens are far too small for my old eyes and as far as I can telldont support OS maps .
Going down the larger screen, rugged smart phone route or Iphone 7plus with rugged case .....just as soon as I can find a good deal..
Trying not to fall off but had alarming pedal strike in Thetford forrest yesrerday.....thought I was going to kiss a rather jagged stump but survived with teeth intact. (They were in my back pack)!
Still saving for my TEc pack.
Have fun

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The dedicated sat nav screens are far too small for my old eyes and as far as I can telldont support OS maps .
As already said I use OSM maps with my old Garmin 800. They have pretty much the same level of detail as OS maps and are free to download. But fair enough on the rest

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles