Lack of e-mtb Choice in Australia

marcuskmt

Apr 26, 2020
Adelaide
Hi Guys,

I'm from Australia and getting into easy trail riding, currently on my 10yo Specialized Rockhopper.

I am looking at getting an e-bike being in my late 40's (not as fit as I used to be) for these easy trails. I was going to get a hardtail e-mtb but see the hatred for them here. I will probable get a basic FS e-bike as it will allow me to do harder trails if I get better.

There are lots of good recommendations on this forums but notice that many of them aren't easily available in Australia.

For example, I can't source a local Vitus E-Sommet VR E-Bike, Haibike (even though we do have local dealers) and YT Decoy amongst others.

So I'm looking at:
Merida eOne Sixty 500SE 2020 (AUD$5k)

If I get a good tax return, I may be able to afford a:
2020 Specialized Turbo Levo (AUD$7.6k)

Other brands we can get are Norco, Trek, Cube, Giant and Focus.

I'm in no rush since we're heading into winter in Australia and could possible wait for the new 2021 bikes to come in.

Any recommendations based on the choices we have in Australia? Should I wait for the 2021 ranges?

mas

Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Hi Guys,

I'm from Australia and getting into easy trail riding, currently on my 10yo Specialized Rockhopper.

I am looking at getting an e-bike being in my late 40's (not as fit as I used to be) for these easy trails. I was going to get a hardtail e-mtb but see the hatred for them here. I will probable get a basic FS e-bike as it will allow me to do harder trails if I get better.

There are lots of good recommendations on this forums but notice that many of them aren't easily available in Australia.

For example, I can't source a local Vitus E-Sommet VR E-Bike, Haibike (even though we do have local dealers) and YT Decoy amongst others.

So I'm looking at:

I'm in no rush since we're heading into winter in Australia and could possible wait for the new 2021 bikes to come in.

Any recommendations based on the choices we have in Australia? Should I wait for the 2021 ranges?
Coming up to June is when the bargains normally happen as they get ready for the new year models to come in. Merida and Cube tend to be the cheapest from 99 bikes. Checkout bikeexchange.com.au if you havent already to see pricing Australia wide and ex-demo bikes.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
New models come in around September, so hunt for run out models before this.
Get on as many demo bikes as you can, to see what’s good for you. Can’t go past a Specialized imo, if you can afford it. A lot on here rubbish them, but I think it’s just sour grapes most of the time. Warranty is as good as it gets if there are any problems. All ebikes have motor issues at some stage

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
All ebikes have motor issues at some stage

Bit of a broad statement I have a 3 year old Scott with a Shimano motor and it has not missed a beat.

Not sure about specialized as the bike specs don’t seem to match the price they are asking, I have heard Giant have very good support and seem to be value for money.?

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Marcus , even the most basic emtb is going to be a revelation after a 10 yo rockhopper, so perhaps start by deciding what local resources you have. Is there a local store that will support you, and if not how far are you willing to travel to save a few $ ? Oh, and do you really need new / the latest bike?

Play with bikexchange, but don't be afraid to see what's available locally - and remember dealers are keen to unload expensive floor stock at the moment.

Where are you? Eg Bendigo - $5 k for a merida e160 900 ( much better running gear than the 500) Merida eONE-SIXTY 900 2019 | Electric Mountain Bikes for sale in Bendigo

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
Hi Guys,

?
I'm a 50+ Queenslander that's just taken the plunge with a Cube Reaction Hybrid Eagle 500.
I wouldn't get too bothered about the FS elitism here - I know my skill/daring/stupidity factor means it's highly unlikely I'll be venturing into territory where i'd need FS, so it would just be an extra $2k+ for pose value (or degraded components on the hardtail). I got 4 pot brakes, air forks, SRAM Eagle chainset for about $3700 - retail $5k which I am happy with.
It's already been said however that it's a low end cheap bike because it uses old school BB races in the headstock.....I knew I should have sold the Ducati and bought a better eMTB...LOL.

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
I'd put the highest priority on having ebike with local support. Lots of things can (and will in time) go wrong with this relatively new technology. Sending bike with error code interstate is not fun.

Last edited:

Apr 26, 2020
Out west
For me, one of the biggest considerations in the decision to purchase a emtb was motor noise. I've been biking out in the woods since the days of Gary Fisher. The Brose system is the smoothest quietest system I've ridden. It also seems to have maybe more issues but they all do to some degree.

If your going to be riding alongside traffic it's not a consideration. But if your in the woods you may want to factor this into your decision. I've yet to get in any brand bike - motorized or non motorized made in the past few years that wasn't more capable than my riding skills. I'm a reasonably fit, skier, biker, paddler. Some bikes are better at climbing, some better at descending but any bike costing a few thousand dollars with decent components would satisfy 95 percent of recreational riders. The differences really come down to various shades of Gray at this point in their evolution..... And man have they come a long way!

aussieskier

Feb 4, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Guys,

So I'm looking at:

I have a couple of mates who are very happy with their Meridas.

I bought a Levo Comp in January, pricy at $9k I know, I went for that over the base model due to the 700wh battery over the 500wh, and I'm stoked I made that decision, I've been spending the iso time up at Mt Buller where there is some pretty serious vertical on offer and I've rolled back in to home plenty of times with 10-15% battery left which would have drained a 500wh.

Also you can get Scott eBikes in Oz, they have them at a shop that I drive past most days, Bikes.com.au | Cheapest Bikes for Sale in Melbourne | Online Bicycles Store

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Also you can get Scott eBikes in Oz, they have them at a shop that I drive past most days, Bikes.com.au | Cheapest Bikes for Sale in Melbourne | Online Bicycles Store

I'm ashamed to say I bought my daughters scott 940 from there - but in my defence they weren't available locally.

That place makes a supermarket feel like a gourmet deli! I'm sooo glad I knew exactly what I wanted before stepping inside, because the sales staff seemed too impatient to wait for me to finish punching in the pin on my visa. Pre delivery prep was a joke - but I guess for what we saved I could have paid our lbs to take the bike apart and rebuild it.

aussieskier

Feb 4, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
Also re: Haibike, a friend of a friend is the importer, apparently they have a supply issue ATM as they had some sort of delay with developing their own motor, and by the time they realised this it was too late to secure supply of Bosch(??) motors.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Merida, cube and norco for value for money in Australia. Jump on bike exchange and check out the prices Aus wide. 99 bikes sell merida, cube and norco and will price beat by 5%. Even check out your local giant dealer once a model has been out for a bit they are very price competitive. Might be a little harder now to haggle because everyone has gone bike crazy since covid.

davowood

Feb 14, 2019
Australia
I am in Tas where the bike options are even more limited! I went for the 2019 Merida e160 900e - an absolute beast of a bike. Like the earlier comments, EOFY is the time - I picked it up late June 2019 from a bike store that was clearing floor stock for tax & winter & new stock reasons. Check bikeexchange but also call or Facebook all the shops in a 2h radius. You never know what they are trying to shift!
It appears that the market has jacked up the prices on the 2020 models, so keep your eyes peeled for a 2019 model and save some serious dough. I can’t fault the Merida - the Specialized is way overpriced in Australia , for what it offers. Beautiful bike no doubt - but the $$ difference vs spec offered doesn’t stack up if you’re on a budget.
Good luck!

ScuzzII

Mar 23, 2020
Adelaide
Marcus,
I'm in Adelaide too.
I'm 57 ( ex enduro and MXer).
I've had a Giant Reign Pro EO for 6 weeks and luv it.
I spent 4 wasted weeks agonising over the major brands ( Norco/ Merida/Spesh/Trek/ Giant).Tested them all by hiring all ( almost)the top line models for a day.
IMHO, they all have pros and cons if your an expert.
Otherwise , they will all do all Adelaide's trails well.
I bought a Giant Reign EO pro off Will Ride.
Spend as much as you can to get the best components you can.
Dont fret over chain length or motors ( although f its a Shimano, you need the 8000 , not the 7000) or an extra KG weight.
They are bikes with motors.

Its about handling ( shocks and brakes and rims and tyres etc).
As WillRide said (He is a passionate ebiker. That's all he sells) , he carries all the 4 major motors and can have you back on the trail in a day.

Dont wait for 2021. You will lose 6 months ride. Plenty of dry days still. Any discounts on last years models means you are probably not getting best components.

marcuskmt

Apr 26, 2020
Adelaide
I'm in Adelaide too.
Tested them all by hiring all
As WillRide said (He is a passionate ebiker. That's all he sells) , he carries all the 4 major motors and can have you back on the trail in a day.

Did you hire them all at WillRide?

When you did say a half day hire, were you able to ride many bikes over the half day or just the one you hired?

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
While we don't have some small volume brands, I think we do pretty good. I recently went through the exercise without any brand favorites. First and foremost demo as many bikes as you can. Some frames just don't fit. The Treks were the most uncomfortable, good bike just not suited. I narrowed it down to the new Merida e160s and the Turbo Levo as both frames fit me well. When I ran a head to head comparison, the Merida offered much more value for money and I felt you were just paying for the Specialized name although I did like the 700W battery option on the Levo. If you can afford the $7.6k, i would still go for the Merida. I settled on an 20 E160-9000 and very happy with my selection. Only modification was that I still needed was a higher rise on the handlebars so went with Renthl carbon fatbars with a 40mm riser.
Good luck choosing.

ScuzzII

Mar 23, 2020
Adelaide
Give Willride a call.
He carries the whole range.
You are spendin $8000 upwards on a bike .
Worth outlaying the money to hire a bike for a half day, or a day or a w/E.
He hires the top end of the bike range, including Kenevo's.
Given they are $8000 plus bikes you are hiring, I thought rental was cheap.
And you get the hire money back if you buy the bike.
Check out Sams e mtb clips.
He recently visited Adel and hired a Giant from WillRide for 2 days.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles