Kenevo Turbo Speed Restriction

jimbobwr

Sep 22, 2019
Dursley
Hi guys, I've just downloaded the BLEVO app and notice that there is a speed option (see pic) does anyone know what this setting is for? It's my understanding that its not possible to increase the boost speed above 25kmh. I haven't had chance to get out on the bike yet and see if changing it makes any difference. I've changed it to 40kmh from the 25kmh it was showing and the setting seams to have stuck (disconnect/Reconnect) it's still on 40kmh?
Screenshot_20190922-200038_BLEvo.jpg

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Well I’m possibly the only dufus to lower the speed limit - accidentally - and that worked down to 25 km/h. Can’t get it back to 28.4 km/h now - something to do with the preset wheel diameter that I must've also reset to standard 2255 mm. In any case 28.0 km/h seems to be enough for trails around here :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hi guys, I've just downloaded the BLEVO app and notice that there is a speed option (see pic) does anyone know what this setting is for? It's my understanding that its not possible to increase the boost speed above 25kmh. I haven't had chance to get out on the bike yet and see if changing it makes any difference. I've changed it to 40kmh from the 25kmh it was showing and the setting seams to have stuck (disconnect/Reconnect) it's still on 40kmh?

From what I've read, Blevo doesn't actually change the speed limit, it edit's the wheel size to reflect the speed limit you select - so it pretends to change the speedlimit. (Which in real life, because the bike thinks the wheels are smaller, means the speed limit is higher).

Because Blevo knows you've changed this it can still show and calculate the correct speed, otherwise the speed displayed would be too low. I think it you ran Mission Control instead, it would display the wrong speed.

Keep in mind that by changing the wheel size/speed limit could invalidate your warranty.

Well I’m possibly the only dufus to lower the speed limit

I tried lowering mine to 20kph to see if that gave me more range with the thing I've said I won't talk anymore about (my battery) .. it didn't, well, maybe a smidge, but I was about 10 times more knackered from riding more above the assistance limit and then was too knackered to ride in Eco, so used Trail more .. but then as on my bike Eco and Trail seem to use as much power as Turbo the whole thing seemed pointless. Maybe I need to lower it further and stop being such a pussy.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I just used eGenesis (Eva) to get mine back to default. It’s also an excellent app and it’s free.

Also just checked - no data transfer! (at least on Android so presumably no collection on iOS either)

Last edited:

jimbobwr

Sep 22, 2019
Dursley
Berm out for a proper spin tonight, yes the speed restriction has definitely changed! As mentioned the Mission Control app now reads the wrong speed while the BLEVO app speed is correct.

Any ideas if there are any other consequences to making this change i.e. if the motor is being tricked into thinking the bike is travelling at a certain speed when it isn't will it try and deliver power in a way outside its design parameters?

Also....sorry to go on!

Is there any data being recorded internally on the bike (motor/battery) that can be acessed at a later date by Specialized? I'm sure using BLEVO to modify setting has warranty implications? Am I in danger of voiding my warranty by increasing the assist speed?

Thanks Guys

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Is there any data being recorded internally on the bike (motor/battery) that can be acessed at a later date by Specialized? I'm sure using BLEVO to modify setting has warranty implications? Am I in danger of voiding my warranty by increasing the assist speed?
2019 Kenevo (and 2018 Levo) - No (when not using Mission Control app).
As long as you put it back to standard before getting it serviced, Specialized has no way to detect that it had been modified. And since no bluetooth pairing code means (insecure) anyone could have changed it, so no way to know that it was you who modified it. However, it does record the total number of charge cycles of battery, and the total distance traveled. When you increase speed limit by reducing wheel circumference the average distanced traveled per charge cycle will be higher (not lower) but the amount of motor power (watts) will be higher -- so they kinda cancel out each other.

2020 Kenevo (and 2019 Levo) - Yes (I believe so).
For each ride, all motor parameters are recorded with date/time stamp plus start and end location (if available via Mission Control). This is done for later analysis to help determine why motors are failing.

Mission Control app uses your smart phones date/time and GPS location to log start & end of each ride. MC also uploads data to server @ Specialized. Warning - when you close the app it's still running in the background.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
When you increase speed limit by reducing wheel circumference the average distanced traveled per charge cycle will be higher (not lower)

If you increase the speed limit by reducing the wheel size, then the circumference of the wheel will be smaller (in effect), so as far as the bike will know, you'll do LESS distance per revolution, so as far as it's concerned, LESS distance per charge ????

In a desperate attempt to get more range out of mine, I reduced my speed limit with Blevo to 20kph. On mission control my average distance per charge increased to a whopping 24.7km's up from a meagre 24km's a charge - but only because it thinks I had larger wheels, so in turn, it thinks I'm covering more distance.

jimbobwr

Sep 22, 2019
Dursley
Thanks for your comments guys, So basically anything with the 2.1 motor is sending info back to the Mother Ship? 1.2/1.3 motors aren't?
Incidentally is the 1.3 motor a Brose S motor? I've been looking for a timeline of the motor development to try and get an understanding of what I actually have. I know its a 1.3 (kenevo 2019) but not sure of anything else. Thanks for the info so far, very helpful.

Joeyrotundo

Apr 13, 2019
Canada , Vancouver Island
Thanks for your comments guys, So basically anything with the 2.1 motor is sending info back to the Mother Ship? 1.2/1.3 motors aren't?
Incidentally is the 1.3 motor a Brose S motor? I've been looking for a timeline of the motor development to try and get an understanding of what I actually have. I know its a 1.3 (kenevo 2019) but not sure of anything else. Thanks for the info so far, very helpful.

My understanding...

Specialized Brose 1.2 = Brose T ALU
Specialized Brose 1.3 = Brose S ALU
Specialized Brose 2.1 = Brose S Mag

Ride
Smile
Recharge
Repeat

Joe

jimbobwr

Sep 22, 2019
Dursley
My understanding...

Specialized Brose 1.2 = Brose T ALU
Specialized Brose 1.3 = Brose S ALU
Specialized Brose 2.1 = Brose S Mag

Ride
Smile
Recharge
Repeat

Joe
The 1.3 and 2.1 are very different motors unlike the 1.2 and 1.3.

The 2.1 is a complete redesign, the fact it's made of Magnesium not Aluminium like the 1.3 is the least of the differences.

I think the naming convention is slightly confusing, S-ALU and S-MAG suggest that they are very similar but just made of different material, this isn't the cace they are completely different.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest

Motoren_bersicht.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles