Kenevo SL Kenevo SL for self-shuttling?

Wooders

Mar 28, 2019
Oxford
Hey all,

I'm pondering a KSL for self shuttling at UK bike parks like Aston Hill, 417 and also at FoD and wondering if I could get some advice from KSL (or LSL) owners?

On those sorts of riding days I'm looking to save my strength for the descents, with the aim of getting say 8-10 full runs in on a visit. Is the KSL powerful motor enough to make the climb back up to the top (fireroads, not too steep) trivial on the legs, or am I better looking at a FF motor? I really like the idea of the lighter bike as I'm doing a tonne of work on my core skills (bunny hops etc.) at the moment and think I may wreck myself trying those on a bigger bike!

For info, I'm 70kg and moderately fit!

Last edited:

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Hey all,

I'm pondering a KSL for self shuttling at UK bike parks like Aston Hill, 417 and also at FoD and wondering if I could get some advice from KSL (or LSL) owners?

On those sorts of riding days I'm looking to save my strength for the descents, with the aim of getting say 8-10 full runs in on a visit. Is the KSL powerful motor enough to make the climb back up to the top (fireroads, not too steep) trivial on the legs, or am I better looking at a FF motor? I really like the idea of the lighter bike as I'm doing a tonne of work on my core skills (bunny hops etc.) at the moment and think I may wreck myself trying those on a bigger bike!

My KSL hasn’t arrived yet but this might help answer re. self shuttling:

FWIW I’m hoping for the KSL to double my typical analog laps but still offer the same (or similar) workout in the same time frame.
We’ll see…?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Hey all,

It sounds ideal for your light weight and fitness.
Aston and 417 have some pretty steep sections to get back to the top and me at 100kg with little fitness wouldn't want less than my FF kenevo provides.
I wouldn't count on Aston hill ever reopening though, I sadly feel we have lost that great site for good.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Hey all,

The bike just rips gravity, no contest! It does it so easy and with composure. It also pedals uphill really well for a slacked out long beast. Throwing it around and playing with it is also way easier than a FF.
It has plenty of power to get you up hills but won’t do it as quick as a FF. Still much quicker and easier than a normal mtb though.
At your weight I wouldn’t bother with a FF.

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
I have 3 rides on my Kenevo SL. I also own a YTDecoy Pro Race full power Ebike. The Kenevo is exactly what I have been looking for in an Ebike. The lighter weight is very noticeable. It is more maneuverable and much easier to get in the air off jumps. It rails the downhills. The motor has plenty of power for climbing, just at a slower pace than boosting around on a FF bike. I am getting 20-22 miles with 2,000’ of climbing without the Range Extender Using a mix of Eco and Trail modes. I am currently running Eco in 80% assist. I’m going to lower it to 50% assist which will add more mileage. Due to the lower weight of the bike, Eco on the Kenevo feels just as powerful as Eco on my Decoy. I am liking the little extra workout I’m getting as well. My conditioning has suffered with the FF bike. With the Range Extender, it will take me anywhere I want to go.

My final take. No other Ebike combines the benefits of Ebikes and regular pedal bikes as well as the Kenevo. I like it so much I am going to sell my FF and buy a Levo Sl for flatter less technical trails.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I have 3 rides on my Kenevo SL. I also own a YTDecoy Pro Race full power Ebike. The Kenevo is exactly what I have been looking for in an Ebike. The lighter weight is very noticeable. It is more maneuverable and much easier to get in the air off jumps. It rails the downhills. The motor has plenty of power for climbing, just at a slower pace than boosting around on a FF bike. I am getting 20-22 miles with 2,000’ of climbing without the Range Extender Using a mix of Eco and Trail modes. I am currently running Eco in 80% assist. I’m going to lower it to 50% assist which will add more mileage. Due to the lower weight of the bike, Eco on the Kenevo feels just as powerful as Eco on my Decoy. I am liking the little extra workout I’m getting as well. My conditioning has suffered with the FF bike. With the Range Extender, it will take me anywhere I want to go.

My final take. No other Ebike combines the benefits of Ebikes and regular pedal bikes as well as the Kenevo. I like it so much I am going to sell my FF and buy a Levo Sl for flatter less technical trails.
I just reverted my levo sl to more trail bikey (150mm fork and stock shock - anyone want to buy a storia v3?). May try to give it a rip around to see if there is enough space between the ksl and the sl to keep both. I am leaving towards selling it though this summer.

to the OP: I don’t have much to add, but take note of your priorities. If it’s to maximize descending AMOUNT in a given amount of time, it’s hard to beat a FF. If you want to optimize Descending quality against amount, the ksl is the ticket.

Wooders

Mar 28, 2019
Oxford
If you want to optimize Descending quality against amount, the ksl is the ticket.
That’s exactly it. Ultimately I want to maximise my time spent working on downhill and trail skills to take back to my normal MTB, rather than trying to max out the number of laps but learn less transferable skills.

Last edited:

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Warning: if you buy a KSL you will have no use for a normal bike, so maybe you should buy a FF.
It's true. That's the other way to look at it:

If you are wanting a different experience and/or supplement to your normal bike riding - go FF.

If you are wanting a solution that is your "do-it-all" and don't plan on having a big quiver - go SL/KSL.

My other bike right now is an aggressive hardtail, which is different enough to make it a unique experience. I think a short travel trail bike would be similar, but still it's hard to figure out scenarios where I would prefer to ride that over the KSL.

Wooders

Mar 28, 2019
Oxford
It's true. That's the other way to look at it:

If you are wanting a different experience and/or supplement to your normal bike riding - go FF.

If you are wanting a solution that is your "do-it-all" and don't plan on having a big quiver - go SL/KSL.

My other bike right now is an aggressive hardtail, which is different enough to make it a unique experience. I think a short travel trail bike would be similar, but still it's hard to figure out scenarios where I would prefer to ride that over the KSL.
That's really helpful and marries up with my thinking:

I've been doing the Ryan Leech coaching stuff for a year and plan to carry on with that indefinitely. I'm figuring most of that (manuals, jumping, trials skills etc.) is going to be a lot easier to learn on my short travel trail bike than on even a lightweight ebike. But, once I've started to dial in those skills, then on days when I want to put that into practice on the real trails I'm hoping a KSL or the like will allow me to do a lot more practice (i.e. more laps) for a given amount of time.. that's the theory anyway!

My biggest bike at the moment is a 130mm travel 650B, so the eMTB will be doing duty as my big bike too, or that's the plan.

I'm with you though, once I have the skills dialled in a year or two I reckon the lightweight ebikes will have lost another couple of pounds and I don't see myself ever riding a normal MTB again at that point!

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
That's really helpful and marries up with my thinking:

I've been doing the Ryan Leech coaching stuff for a year and plan to carry on with that indefinitely. I'm figuring most of that (manuals, jumping, trials skills etc.) is going to be a lot easier to learn on my short travel trail bike than on even a lightweight ebike. But, once I've started to dial in those skills, then on days when I want to put that into practice on the real trails I'm hoping a KSL or the like will allow me to do a lot more practice (i.e. more laps) for a given amount of time.. that's the theory anyway!

My biggest bike at the moment is a 130mm travel 650B, so the eMTB will be doing duty as my big bike too, or that's the plan.

I'm with you though, once I have the skills dialed in a year or two I reckon the lightweight ebikes will have lost another couple of pounds and I don't see myself ever riding a normal MTB again at that point!

KSL is a big bike - 170mm, plush, long, low, slack, etc - there is no hiding it. But it's not a boat IMO. My old large 2018 Kenevo (650b, 53lb, 180mm) , which was much shorter with shorter chainstays was much harder to maneuver nimbly. The thing with the KSL is that trails with speed is where it shines. It probably wouldn't be my first choice in a bike if everything was super tight, janky, tech, etc. It can handle that type of riding, but it's not the forte.

Those are all obvious statements. Practically for me, it's a bit harder to manual and bunny hop, take a bit more body english to change direction, very stable in corners and rough, jumps great, pops if there is any bump just as easily as most of my bikes in the past. One other note is you could adjust the geo on this bike to be a bit more reactive if the terrain and mood suits. I haven't done that as of yet, but keen to try it when I get to terrain that would match.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles