Kenevo SL Kenevo SL Comp wheels

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
Does anyone know the spec on the Kenevo Comp SL wheels? I can’t find a lot other than alloy. Looking at upgrading mine, but not to a mega bucks carbon set, but something more like Industry nine Enduro S. Not sure whether this would be much of an upgrade over stock? Anyone swapped out there Como wheels and what did you go with?

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Does anyone know the spec on the Kenevo Comp SL wheels? I can’t find a lot other than alloy. Looking at upgrading mine, but not to a mega bucks carbon set, but something more like Industry nine Enduro S. Not sure whether this would be much of an upgrade over stock? Anyone swapped out there Como wheels and what did you go with?
The standard wheels are fine imo if maybe a little flexy. For me I don't think going to the I9 wheel would be much of an upgrade or money well spent. Is there something about the wheels you don't like?
I have a set of We Are One carbon wheels and for me the difference in these to the standard wheels is substantial. Bike turns in better and generally has a sharper more solid feel on the trail but yeah not cheap.

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
Thanks for the reply,
I see that on the Expert and S-Works they specify the Rovals and hubs but on the Comp nothing. As a lot of people say wheel upgrades make a big difference I wondered if this was an area where money was cut for the Comp.
I haven’t had issues with the wheels, just the electrics (waiting on a new harness), but that’s another story. Will be hitting some very rocky tracks at the end of the month so that will be a good test.

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
Not sure if the Expert has the same wheels but I suspect so. They are inexpensive wheels. They are obviously heavy but that is not the bigger issue for me. For me, they feel flexy. I'll have to upgrade at some point. If I go carbon (most likely) I'll find some that are relatively compliant like the Revel wheels/rims. I find SC Reserve wheels to be super harsh, for example. My old ENVEs were too though I hear the new ones are better. I do not like these stock wheels much at all. I do think they are the same between the Comp and Expert.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Not sure if the Expert has the same wheels but I suspect so. They are inexpensive wheels. They are obviously heavy but that is not the bigger issue for me. For me, they feel flexy. I'll have to upgrade at some point. If I go carbon (most likely) I'll find some that are relatively compliant like the Revel wheels/rims. I find SC Reserve wheels to be super harsh, for example. My old ENVEs were too though I hear the new ones are better. I do not like these stock wheels much at all. I do think they are the same between the Comp and Expert.
I have these Roval Traverse Alu and actually they are not heavy. Weights about the same as DT Swiss E1900 wheels and are quite good.
I have Expert model and keep those wheel until they broke down.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I have these Roval Traverse Alu and actually they are not heavy. Weights about the same as DT Swiss E1900 wheels and are quite good.
I have Expert model and keep those wheel until they broke down.

Which model did you get? I bought the Kenevo SL Comp as previously stated, the wheels are listed on the Specialized website as --, which makes me wonder just how cheap they went on them. I would like to sell them to help finance my next upgrade. Any idea what they are worth?
Not THAT Special.jpg

Next Upgrade:
I swapped out the stock wheelset with some DT Swiss 511 rims on Hope hubs prior to riding the bike so I have no idea of how much of a difference I missed from the stock wheels. Will I notice a big difference switching to carbon? If so, I now have "permission" from La Jefa to buy a carbon wheelset (We Are One with I9 Hydra hubs) but I am looking for the most passionate and flavorful phrasing to justify the price ($2000 Cdn). Logic is not necessarily required but all responses are welcomed.

MetroNeck

Aug 13, 2020
North Van
Which model did you get? I bought the Kenevo SL Comp as previously stated, the wheels are listed on the Specialized website as --, which makes me wonder just how cheap they went on them. I would like to sell them to help finance my next upgrade. Any idea what they are worth?
View attachment 89579
Next Upgrade:
I swapped out the stock wheelset with some DT Swiss 511 rims on Hope hubs prior to riding the bike so I have no idea of how much of a difference I missed from the stock wheels. Will I notice a big difference switching to carbon? If so, I now have "permission" from La Jefa to buy a carbon wheelset (We Are One with I9 Hydra hubs) but I am looking for the most passionate and flavorful phrasing to justify the price ($2000 Cdn). Logic is not necessarily required but all responses are welcomed.

I like the i9’s because they are super easy to work on, but performance and durability wise, my 1/1’s seem equal, and a sizable cost savings on the WAO build.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
View attachment 89579
Next Upgrade:
I have the WAO carbon rims with Onyx Vesper hubs and back to back with the standard wheels there is a significant positive change and for me there weren't any negatives. Steering is more direct, more communicative with the front tyre and don't ping off line. The back end loses that looseness/flexiness when pushed into corners. They don't dent! I have to run an insert with the alloy wheels to help with avoiding denting them (same tyres and pressures on both sets of wheels..Butcher Gravity F&R 25/28psi). Overall if you can afford the $$ they are great.

Have you checked out the Berd wheels? I'm curious about them because of the huge weight reduction compared to everything else. 1/2kg is significant on wheels.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I have the WAO carbon rims with Onyx Vesper hubs and back to back with the standard wheels there is a significant positive change and for me there weren't any negatives. Steering is more direct, more communicative with the front tyre and don't ping off line. The back end loses that looseness/flexiness when pushed into corners. They don't dent! I have to run an insert with the alloy wheels to help with avoiding denting them (same tyres and pressures on both sets of wheels..Butcher Gravity F&R 25/28psi). Overall if you can afford the $$ they are great.

Have you checked out the Berd wheels? I'm curious about them because of the huge weight reduction compared to everything else. 1/2kg is significant on wheels.
Thanks for your input. I use Cushcore in my DT Swiss 511 wheels (F18 & R20 PS) right now and so far have not dented a rim but I have not been to Whistler with this bike. Although I am interested in a little weight reduction, I am more interested in the feel of the wheel. In the end, if I don't like them, my wife can use them as she is insensitive and probably wouldn't notice any ways. Nobel and We Are One are both made here in BC with very good reviews and warrantees so I will most likely pick one of those manufacturers.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles