Kenevo differences...2018 & 2019

Superlukey

Aug 25, 2018
Hertfordshire
Hi. Quick question. Apart from the different colour schemes, there’s no difference between the 2018 and 2019 versions are there? Pretty sure there isn’t but thought I’d check. Thanks.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
2019 kenevo comp has a different spec 2018 and 2019 expert are the same (more or less)

Superlukey

Aug 25, 2018
Hertfordshire
Thanks Dave. Interestingly, checking the invisiframe website there is a kit for 2018 frame and 2018 updated frame. Wonder what the diff is?

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Hmm interesting. Im not sure but i have a feeling the chainstays on the 2019 are a slightly different shape but not certain. Do bear in mind if you go for the comp it has a different motor and a smaller battery

Superlukey

Aug 25, 2018
Hertfordshire
Hi again Dave. Sorry should have said only looking at the expert (for the reasons you mention). Interesting about the possible diff re the chain stays. Think I’ll drop them an email...

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Cool let me know what they say please

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Thanks Dave. Interestingly, checking the invisiframe website there is a kit for 2018 frame and 2018 updated frame. Wonder what the diff is?

i stumbled across the same on invisiframe and asked my lbs about it - he didn't know about two different 2018 Kenevo frames. But there was a slight change from 2017 to 2018 where the sink-hole in the bottom of the motor housing became bigger. Maybe this is what invisiframe is referring to?

Geoff

Aug 21, 2018
Australia
Pretty sure we came up with theres no difference (I think the forks are identical, both Lyrik RCT3).

The forks are identical by name on the specification for both 2018 and 2019 model Kenevo. The specification lists it as a Lyrik RCT3. Everyone is correct in this respect however if you look closely near the top of the stanchion on the air spring side of the fork of the 2019 Kenevo you will see the "DebonAir" logo. This indicates that it is a 2019 Fork (Released around March/April 2018) with the updated/revised lower friction version of the DebonAir spring. The below image shows the old version on the left and the new version on the right. The old version is plastic and the new version is metal.

There's plenty of reading on the internet about how its better and different from the previous revision. Essentially it reduces internal friction, updates the size of the negative air chamber, and produces a more consistent compression rate across the full travel of the fork similar to that of a coil spring. The updated DebonAir spring can be purchased relatively cheaply as an upgrade for the pre 2019 Lyrik, Pike, Revelation, Yari, etc.

Effectively if you can pick up a 2018 Kenevo at a good discount you could upgrade the air spring to the new/revised "DebonAir". You then have yourself a bike with the exact same suspension spec (minus the logo on the fork) as the 2019 model for a lower price overall.

Geoff

Aug 21, 2018
Australia
Interestingly, checking the invisiframe website there is a kit for 2018 frame and 2018 updated frame. Wonder what the diff is?

Curious about Invisiframe I visited their website and found the below info. It was in the "About this product" section at the bottom of the page below the photos. It's ok, I completely understand if you got distracted by the picture gallery ;). They do some nice work.

DO YOU HAVE THE UPDATED FRAME AND HOW CAN YOU TELL?
- Turn the bike upside down and measure the distance from the drain holes on the underside of the motor to the battery placement hook.

If it measures 80mm you have the 2018 frame.
If it measures 60mm you have the updated frame.

WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE 2018 AND 2018 UPDATED FRAME?
- The updated frame has a different design to back of seat tube and motor housing to the original frame.

Superlukey

Aug 25, 2018
Hertfordshire
Thanks all for the info on this one. To be honest the differences don’t sound massive but as the price reductions I’ve seen on the 18 models aren’t huge, just tempted to spend the extra and grab the 19. Thanks again for all of the detailed info. Appreciate the time and effort. Very helpful forum :)

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
The forks are identical by name on the specification for both 2018 and 2019 model Kenevo. The specification lists it as a Lyrik RCT3. Everyone is correct in this respect however if you look closely near the top of the stanchion on the air spring side of the fork of the 2019 Kenevo you will see the "DebonAir" logo. This indicates that it is a 2019 Fork (Released around March/April 2018) with the updated/revised lower friction version of the DebonAir spring. The below image shows the old version on the left and the new version on the right. The old version is plastic and the new version is metal.

There's plenty of reading on the internet about how its better and different from the previous revision. Essentially it reduces internal friction, updates the size of the negative air chamber, and produces a more consistent compression rate across the full travel of the fork similar to that of a coil spring. The updated DebonAir spring can be purchased relatively cheaply as an upgrade for the pre 2019 Lyrik, Pike, Revelation, Yari, etc.

Effectively if you can pick up a 2018 Kenevo at a good discount you could upgrade the air spring to the new/revised "DebonAir". You then have yourself a bike with the exact same suspension spec (minus the logo on the fork) as the 2019 model for a lower price overall.
This exactly

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Curious about Invisiframe I visited their website and found the below info. It was in the "About this product" section at the bottom of the page below the photos. It's ok, I completely understand if you got distracted by the picture gallery ;). They do some nice work.

DO YOU HAVE THE UPDATED FRAME AND HOW CAN YOU TELL?
- Turn the bike upside down and measure the distance from the drain holes on the underside of the motor to the battery placement hook.

If it measures 80mm you have the 2018 frame.
If it measures 60mm you have the updated frame.

WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE 2018 AND 2018 UPDATED FRAME?
- The updated frame has a different design to back of seat tube and motor housing to the original frame.
I bet that will give me an extra 10mph and 30 miles of range

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I have just upgraded mine its a very noticable improvement

If you change the air spring, damper, or both?

Does the 2019 bike have the Charger2 damper as well as the revised air spring?

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I just changed the air spring my forks have the charger 1 damper I think.
I think the new bikes have charger 2 and the debonair spring but not certain

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I just changed the air spring my forks have the charger 1 damper I think.
I think the new bikes have charger 2 and the debonair spring but not certain
It doesn’t mention anything in the spec sheet
8EC2CC84-5F16-4164-B44F-89919CD4D420.png

I wouldn’t let that dissuade me from buying a discounted 2018. The savings would be more than buying the upgrade

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
My wifes kenevo has the charger 2 damper but not the debonair
I was under the impressionn all 2019 lyrics have debonair irrispective of which damper is fitted

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles