Kenevo Gen1 Kenevo Comp 2020 - engine bearings?

jallabanan

Oct 12, 2018
Norway
Hi,

A very slight cracking sound is coming from the crank on my Kenevo Comp 2020, mostly when it hasn't been used in a while.

Bike shop tells me it's the "engine bearings" that needs a change.

Problem is they are having issues with getting parts, and I've planned a eMTB holiday in a week+.

Honestly never heard of "engine bearings" before, and can't seem to find much on Google either.

Any idea if I mess anything up by not changing these now, before I go 14 days on the bike every day?

Thanks!

jallabanan

Oct 12, 2018
Norway
Thanks, but didn't really answer my question; do you know if there is any chance of catastrophic failure if I don't change them, if they are worn down?

jallabanan

Oct 12, 2018
Norway
yes, also if the motor has had any water get in to it every pedal stroke will just destroy everything in a matter of days or weeks and spare parts are limited.
Great, thanks.

Very likely some water has gotten inn there, as I live in a very wet area.

Aussie78

May 11, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
The roller bearings are unprotected from water and dust.

Once the spindle becomes damaged that the roller bearing runs on, it’s new motor time. Spindles are not available as a spare part

Aussie78

May 11, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
IMG_5213.jpg

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I didn’t think bike shops can open the motor if it’s still under warranty! , they just swap for a new one !

jallabanan

Oct 12, 2018
Norway
The weird thing is, I don't think they have opened anything.

I presume they probably recognize the sound from previous cases.

Btw. I bought the bike 2 years and 3 weeks ago, so warranty is out anyway?

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey

Mate you got a 4 year warranty on a 2020 kenevo 😉

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
The roller bearings are unprotected from water and dust.

Once the spindle becomes damaged that the roller bearing runs on, it’s new motor time. Spindles are not available as a spare part
Spindles (crankshafts) will be available from us at Ebike Motor Centre within the next few weeks. In the meantime, we do have a few new and good condition used ones to keep you going if needed.
BTW slight cracking on a Brose is usually the chainring to spider bolts not tight enough, or the motor bolts not tight enough. Loud clicking and popping is usually the spag clutch bearing starting to fail.

weihlac

Subscriber
Oct 12, 2020
USA

2020 Kenevo has a 4 YEAR WARRANTY

July 31, 2020
The Best Bike Repair Is No Bike Repair: New Extended Warranty and Firmware Update for
all model years 2019/20 Levo FSR & 2020 Kenevo
For any rider, the best kind of bike repair is no bike repair – that’s our goal. If one of our bikes has let
you down when you were counting on it, we’re not ok with that and we’ll make it right. Period.
Our job is to make bikes that give riders the absolute best in performance and reliability. The Specialized
Turbo Levo & Turbo Kenevo have delivered on this promise for hundreds of thousands of riders across
millions of km/mi around the globe. Innovation at Specialized will never stop. When we find a way to
make a bike better, we do it as soon as possible. We make dozens of small improvements to our bikes
and mobile apps on a rolling basis - it’s what allows us to deliver riders the very best, often before it is
available elsewhere.
Some time ago, it came to our attention that we were experiencing a small but unacceptable number of
early-life failures in some of our Model Year 2019/20 Levo and 2020 Kenevo motors. Since then, we
have worked relentlessly to drive a number of improvements to eliminate any issues. These have
included steps to reduce noise, fitting a stronger belt, updates to the freewheel assembly and further
optimizations to address strength and overall reliability.
All of these hardware-based improvements are featured on motors fitted to Model Year 2021 Levo &
Kenevo. To ensure peace of mind for you as a rider, we’re extending the motor warranty on impacted
bikes from 2 to 4 years for all owners of Model Year 2019/20 Levo FSR and 2020 Kenevo from the date
of purchase. This warranty is transferable should you decide to sell your bike.
Recently, we also identified a bug in the 2.1 motor firmware which has contributed to belt failures. In
response we’ve just released a new version of motor firmware that improves belt reliability without
compromising power or performance. We strongly recommend that you update your motor firmware
by arranging a service visit with your local retailer.
There is nothing further you need to do in order to activate your extended motor warranty, however we
strongly recommend you to register your Turbo bike on Mission Control to access future updates and
alerts about your bike (go to ‘DIAGNOSE’  ‘REGISTER). Should you have any questions please do not
hesitate to get in touch with your local retailer.
Thanks for your continued support and commitment.
Mike Sinyard – Founder and CEO

The voz

Jun 17, 2020
Cornwall
On the 4 yr warranty I purchased bike in july 2020 and was told it’s the 2021 model so only 2 yr and that is directly from spech as the shop I bought bike from no longer deal with them must say they’ve been brilliant took it to lbs and had new motor within an hour

Aussie78

May 11, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
Spindles (crankshafts) will be available from us at Ebike Motor Centre within the next few weeks. In the meantime, we do have a few new and good condition used ones to keep you going if needed.
BTW slight cracking on a Brose is usually the chainring to spider bolts not tight enough, or the motor bolts not tight enough. Loud clicking and popping is usually the spag clutch bearing starting to fail.

Yep, axevo had stock too that I’ve bought previously, but I have also worked out how to turn down the damage in the lathe and sleeve with a hardened blank and grind back down to size. Wanted to use spray welding (sexy) but sleeving is just as good.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Yep, axevo had stock too that I’ve bought previously, but I have also worked out how to turn down the damage in the lathe and sleeve with a hardened blank and grind back down to size. Wanted to use spray welding (sexy) but sleeving is just as good.
We tried the sleeving method which worked well on the needle roller bearing surface, but too many cranks also had sprag bearing surface issues and turning down, sleeving, hardening and grinding that part was just too expensive. Don't worry though, we have a solution on its way and to be announced soon! Just for future reference, if you're still living in Australia, we do have a partner on the Gold Coast who should be easier and faster than using our partner in Italy. You can find a list of all our partners here: Ebike Motor Centre Worldwide Partners

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles