Kenevo and magic marys

Mgbudd

Jun 18, 2018
Chichester
Hey,

Just thought I would share my thoughts after swapping to magic mary 2.6 tyres. All round bike feels so much better, grip is better all around, much more progressive when you are pushing and they begin to slip (trails still super dusty!).... The biggest difference I noticed though was just how much more agile the bike felt, much easier to adjust the direction and click the bike around.. 100% improvement in my opinion....

Mgbudd

Jun 18, 2018
Chichester
Went for these:

Schwalbe Magic Mary DH- Addix - U-Soft - Tyre Rigid

To be honest didn't really notice any extra rolling resistance, just lots more grip and confidence. Maybe I was just having a good day!

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Went for these:

Schwalbe Magic Mary DH- Addix - U-Soft - Tyre Rigid

To be honest didn't really notice any extra rolling resistance, just lots more grip and confidence. Maybe I was just having a good day!
I have just ordered these from chainreaction, at 36 quid each, whilst they are still in stock.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I used to ride 2.8 Butcher rear 2.6 MM soft front, just changed to 2.8 MM soft front and its better

On the terrain I am riding on my local trails in Brechfa, Wales..... I will stick to the MM 2.6 DH Ultrasofts thanks. They really are a great tyre, grippy, super strong carcass and immense sidewalls. Heavy... but I have not noticed the weight. You would notice the weight on an acoustic bike for sure but we are fortunate to have assistance which appears to hide the weight very well ;)

I just replaced my MM 2.8 Softs. Where I am, they are too fragile and get cut/slashed. The big decision was made as I pinch punctured over a square edge this week (I was running them with 17 psi and I weigh around 73kg all kitted up) so I threw a tried and true new set of MM2.6s DH on and for me, they will continue to be my go to tyre.

Horses for courses, for sure. You may be fine with the skinny walled (compared to the MM 2.6 DH) 2.8s where you are. I just like having the security of an almost bullet proof tyre where I can forget punctures so I can focus on riding?

Last edited:

Sparkydave

Aug 7, 2018
Derbyshire, UK
Just ordered 2 x 2.6 MM Supersoft DH wire bead. £38.99 each from Chain Reaction. Found a discount code for £5 off with a quick Google search, so £73 for the pair

profgruen

Aug 19, 2018
Austria
hi all

after recommendation especially from kiwi i ordered the mm 2.6 dh ultrasoft and replaced
the butcher 2.6 from my kenevo expert.
just right enough before going to reschen/nauders where we are right now.

what shall i say: enormous grip both on stones and earth trails, dry and wet. very good control. wouldnt say that it became more agile than with the butchers.

rolling is best: nearly no difference to allmountain with conti mountainking 2.4 from my bike buddy !

i still had no opportunity for direct comparison with butcher performance on my hometrails. i will post this as soon as i am back in austria and can ride them.

only one disadvantage but that was clear before: 2x1.4 kg mean +0.8 kg on a kenevo which is heavy itself. no problem on all cable cars in austria which are mostly modern but try to put the kenevo on the hooks at the furniculars in reschen ...

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Changed the tires today and switched to the tubeless. Easy job, pop up to the rim with a floor pump.

Weights.
Old:
- Spesh Butcher 2.8, 1094g and 1070g
- tubes, 306g and 315g
New:
- Schwalbe MM 2.6 Addix Soft, 1014g and 1032g
- 2 dl tire sealant to both tires

Topov

Fitted this today to the rear, will let you know how it rides tomorrow.
Fitted tubeless went on easy with only plastic levers and a track pump... really stiff sidewalls

20180913_140124.jpg

eddy.jpg

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
They were available from Germany but sold out in 2 days, first batch due in UK at the end of the month

Snap! I got one delivered yesterday from Bike-Discount DE. Could not find a front one anywhere though.....
Did you?
I am putting mine on tomorrow, your are right Super Gravity sidewalls are stiff, almost as stiff as the DH sidewalls versions.
20180915_182821_resized.jpg
20180915_182830_resized.jpg
002.PNG

Its a very chunky tyre with loads of nobs so should give loads of grip. Hopefully it wont clog up too much with the Welsh mud.

Last edited:

Topov

Snap! I got one delivered yesterday from Bike-Discount DE. Could not find a front one anywhere though.....
Did you?
I am putting mine on tomorrow, your are right Super Gravity sidewalls are stiff, almost as stiff as the DH sidewalls versions. View attachment 5133 View attachment 5134 View attachment 5135

Its a very chunky tyre with loads of nobs so should give loads of grip. Hopefully it wont clog up too much with the Welsh mud.

Was out today at Swinley with mine, rear never let me down once, feels like a great tyre, BUT the 2.8 MM on the front is a huge no no on sand, had it wash out twice on me the worst on Babymaker after the first table top trying to take the burm … looks like bent handle bars possible stem and steerer, we will see oh and very sore Left Bo*****K hey I tell it as it is

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Fitted the Eddy Current rear this morning.
It definitely comes up smaller than some of the other 2.8s I have recently fitted. In fact it is not much bigger than the MM 2.6 DH it replaced.

Have a look at the photo and you will see what I mean. 2.8 Eddy on the left, 2.6 Magic Mary on the right.

I am not complaining as I actually prefer the 2.6 size anyway so I guess I have managed to get what I wanted in the first place. ?

0F0EE763-F21E-4910-B070-90C456D17597.jpeg

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Fitted the Eddy Current rear this morning.
It definitely comes up smaller than some of the other 2.8s I have recently fitted. In fact it is not much bigger than the MM 2.6 DH it replaced.

Have a look at the photo and you will see what I mean. 2.8 Eddy on the left, 2.6 Magic Mary on the right.

I am not complaining as I actually prefer the 2.6 size anyway so I guess I have managed to get what I wanted in the first place. ?

View attachment 5199
Just to let you know that the tyre will expand up to 4mm over use, so might be worth another measure after a ride. Looks like the 2 halfs of the tyre are out of alignment.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles