Jockey wheels maintenance?

IonutF

Oct 9, 2020
Romania
question for the ones more experienced, please :)

my NX derailleur has the upper pulley with 12 teeth, while the lower one with 14 teeth and I am planning to change these with some color ones.
Asking a bike shop around my area, where I found colored ones, but not with 14t, the bike mechanic there said that it works even if I mount 12T pulley instead of 14T one....does this make sense?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
question for the ones more experienced, please :)

my NX derailleur has the upper pulley with 12 teeth, while the lower one with 14 teeth and I am planning to change these with some color ones.
Asking a bike shop around my area, where I found colored ones, but not with 14t, the bike mechanic there said that it works even if I mount 12T pulley instead of 14T one....does this make sense?
Yes. it'll "work" just not exactly how it was designed to.
The bottom jockey just tensions the chain. and because it's under more tension wears quicker. part of the reason it was designed with more teeth. more teeth also take up slightly more slack which matters across wide ratio cassettes

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
it would result in less chain wrap on the lower pulley wheel and the smaller wheel would sit away from the guard rail of the lower cage. I suspect the chain would also be a little slacker.
Not a good idea I don't reckon!

IonutF

Oct 9, 2020
Romania
Thank you guys for your inputs, all make sense, hence, will continue searching for 14t & 12t colored pulleys.
Luckly the stock ones are 3 months old, so I have time to find propet setup

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
I fitted Hopes to my Levo on Oct and ride it in shitty conditions , clean down after every ride . But last week realised the jockeys were near solid ! Took out and removed the covers , loads of mud gets in , cleaned , greased and put back on .
LBS said they are a bit known to do this if you ride in slop in the British Winter . So I will now do mine every three months now .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles