Jam2 9.6 Plus - Size L

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Hi all.

I test rode a used Jam2 9.6 Plus today on some very hilly bitumen. The bike was thoroughly impressive and a good candidate for my first eMTB.

The steering was nice and sharp - maybe that was due to the 27.5 plus wheels? My other experiences (2x hire bikes) were 29" wheels.

My only remaining question is frame size. It was size L. I'm 188cm and this is bang in the middle of the 186 to 190cm size range recommended for the L on the Focus website. But the bike felt small to me today. My legs seemed to be too bent at the bottom of the pedal stroke. The current owner is probably 183cm so also in the L range recommended by Focus.

I did have the seat post raised by the current owner, but only 2.5cm or so from where he had it.

Any other 188cm tall Jam2 9.6 owners here? Any advice for me?

Would there be a maximum seat post extension marker on the seat post? The bike is a few hours drive from me, but I'm sure the current owner would be willing to check.

Good advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Hi all.

I test rode a used Jam2 9.6 Plus today on some very hilly bitumen. The bike was thoroughly impressive and a good candidate for my first eMTB.

The steering was nice and sharp - maybe that was due to the 27.5 plus wheels? My other experiences (2x hire bikes) were 29" wheels.

My only remaining question is frame size. It was size L. I'm 188cm and this is bang in the middle of the 186 to 190cm size range recommended for the L on the Focus website. But the bike felt small to me today. My legs seemed to be too bent at the bottom of the pedal stroke. The current owner is probably 183cm so also in the L range recommended by Focus.

I did have the seat post raised by the current owner, but only 2.5cm or so from where he had it.

Would there be a maximum seat post extension marker on the seat post? The bike is a few hours drive from me, but I'm sure the current owner would be willing to check.

Good advice appreciated.

Thanks.
I cant help specifically but other bikes I've had I'm a Large but Focus recommend the JAM2 Medium for me and it fits!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm 183cm and have a Large Focus Jam2 NINE and it feels perfect. But I probably have a different ratio of leg length to height compared to you. That is what can make a very big difference. I have had to reject brands of bike because the Large was too short and the XL was too tall. Similarly on another brand, the Medium was too low and the Large was too long. I could have ridden any of them as a hire bike, for the day, but not for several years!

Take a look at the geometry chart and compare it in detail with the charts of bikes that you know fit you. Pay attention to reach and stack.

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for the replies. I can see why a good Dealer would be such an asset at the time of bike purchase. I only wish I had the money to buy new.

I can't remember the exact website (Commencal or Specialized or Merida) but apparently my height, leg length and arm length puts me at the "normal" male ratios.

Would I be right to assume the Kind Shock E30i seat post on the 9.6 is 150mm travel? If that is correct then the minimum insert length is 90mm and my guesstimate is I would have another 50mm or so available to extend out of the frame.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
If you buy it whilst you think it feels small you will always be thinking in the back of your mind that it is wrong .
If you can test an ~XL you can check.
I was on the cusp of Med/Large ...bought M but have felt that L would have been a better fit .... my mistake was not trying other sizes and being lead by the dealer/sales person ....my choice though.

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks again for all the contributions.

I will re-study the geometries between sizes and brands. But it is a bit of a minefield for the average Joe. It seems the 9.6 Plus wasn't made in an XL frame size and even within the Focus stable, the different year models have different geometry specs.

Would a combination of seat post height out of the frame, stem length, stem rise and handle bar geometry morph an L into an XL?

I did enjoy the feeling of the 9.6 Plus. It was the first 27.5" bike I've ridden and it's wheelbase was probably shorter than the XL Levo and Rail 9 that I've hired previously.

Mar 29, 2021
UK
Hi all.

Good advice appreciated.

Thanks.
I messaged Focus last week and the reach on a large Jam 6.9 is only 445mm. That's why it feels really short and they don't to my knowledge, do it an XL. The medium is only 420mm!!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

Would a combination of seat post height out of the frame, stem length, stem rise and handle bar geometry morph an L into an XL?

I did enjoy the feeling of the 9.6 Plus. It was the first 27.5" bike I've ridden and it's wheelbase was probably shorter than the XL Levo and Rail 9 that I've hired previously.

You can do a lot to make a bike that almost fits into one that is pretty much perfect. Also, don't forget saddle position and bar width..

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks all.

The current owner is being very helpful and has offered to take the bike to his usual LBS so it can be sized up against me :) Very kind offer.

My home town of Brisbane is now in a 3 day Covid lockdown and with the following Easter holidays it's unlikely I'll be able to do anything until later next week. I'm hoping the cookies crumble in my favour (for once).

I'm dreaming of 9.6 ownership.

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Hi again.

I can't forget the idea of buying this 9.6 Jam2. It is a beautiful bike with lots of good things going for it. The L vs XL frame size is still nagging me though.

According to the specs the frame geometry of the 9.6 E8000 (only came in S, M and L) is the identical to the same vintage 6.8 E8000 (although it also came in the XL). I've drawn the XL and L frame geometries in AutoCAD.

Both bike models apparently had a BBB stem for 31.8mm bars and 55mm length. This seems to be a Jumper BHS-38Di2 stem according to the BBB website.

The BBB website also lists a range of BHS-36 DownForce stems. There is a version with a 70mm length and a 17 degree angle. By my estimation, fitting this would turn the reach of the L to be come very close to that of the XL. The longer stem length may alter the handling of the bike, but with its 27.5" wheels it is already much more lively than the 29" Levo and Rail I've previously ridden.

Seat height and position could probably take care of other related dimensions.

The only remaining fixed differences are head tube length (XL = 160, L =140) and wheelbase (XL = 1251mm, L = 1218mm). But how important are these remaining differences anyway?

The trails I'm most interested in are flowing single track type with a few berms to take at moderate speed and few obstacles at lower speed that require a good line selection. And I want to teach myself to wheelie and bunny hop. I can't imagine ever seeking out torturous rock gardens or high jumps.

And the bike will be used to do the occasional commute to work which is a 50km round trip. I think the 9.6 Large could be a good choice but interested in any further comments or suggestions.

Thanks.

6.8 XL vs L.jpg

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
Sounds like you’ve already talked yourself into it??. I’m 189 tall & have a 2020 6.8 Jam2, With Bosch motor. (Not sure how the dimensions compare)& I couldn’t get away with a L. Having said that, like you suggested changing components to get a better set up is an option. Also how soon do you want to get into the emtb scene?, this bike is readily available by the sounds of it. I would take the vendor up on the offer of a sizing at the LBS, which I think is a great idea, if it is on the cusp of been slightly undersize, they may be able to suggest stem, dropper post etc options.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles