Is this tire ready for the bin?

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
1st time in months i gave the bike a wash and spotted this. Its very odd, like an air bubble that has a very thin skin, it compresses very easy and moves the air about.
I'm guessing its a disaster waiting to happen but there's no evidence of damage just like a blister on your skin.
Hopefully the pics shows it, look carefully .

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Could it just be the decal coming away. Is there any deformation on the inside of the tyre?
Strange isn't it, that's what I thought but its very soft rubber behind the decal, I might just stick a pin in it lol.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
a Tannus armour and tube would work, if the tread is still decent and theres nothing else wrong with the tyre its a cheap fix. tyres now are £70 if you can find them in stock, the Tannus is £25 so it makes sense

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I'm guessing its a disaster waiting to happen but there's no evidence of damage just like a blister on your skin.

"Disaster" is a little dramatic, but the tire is coming apart from the inside. The tire is leaking, but not all the way through, and the result is a blister. This was really common in Specialized's 2Bliss tires back in the 2000's, and the tires would start exhibiting this symptom after several months. Sometimes the tire would get 4-5 blisters all at one time. It was clearly a defect, so Specialized would replace them. There was a period of about two years that I didn't have to buy new tires. It was great.

One thing's for sure. Eventually that tire will stop holding air. Talk to the store where you purchased the tires, and see if they can get the tire replaced.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I would contact Schwalbe directly on their website, it's a clearly a warranty case, they will send you a replacement tire ...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles