Is this time of year bad to buy a new eMTB?

Bordtea

Oct 2, 2022
Gloucester, UK
Hey all. Newbie here. Looking to upgrade from my 2021 Haibike AllMtn 4 and have been looking at a couple of options (Mondraker Crafty RR and Giant Reign E+0).

However it struck me that the 2022 bikes have been out for a little while now and the 2023 models may be coming through soon. I’ve not seen anything announced from either brand, so perhaps there’s a few more months yet before they hit the stores, but I want to avoid a scenario where I buy a model that’s replaced within a couple of months! Grateful for thoughts 😄

Last edited:

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
If you want a bargain, now is usually a good time to buy. With the new models coming in, there's usually discounts on current models.

Unless there's a new motor of some new fancy tech, new models are usually worse than the previous year in terms of spec. Inflation/ shrinkflation means the new models tend to get lower spec components to maintain the same price point in the market. Either that or they're more expensive because they've got the newest tech in suspension or whatever the current hype is.

If you can find something your size in stock at the moment, I wouldn't discount it purely because new models are around the corner.

Winger

May 28, 2020
Birmingham
Hey all. Newbie here. Looking to upgrade from my 2021 Haibike AllMtn 4 and have been looking at a couple of options (Mondraker Crafty RR and Giant Reign E+0).

However it struck me that the 2022 bikes have been out for a little while now and the 2023 models may be coming through soon. I’ve not seen anything announced from either brand, so perhaps there’s a few more months yet before they hit the stores, but I want to avoid a scenario where I buy a model that’s replaced within a couple of months! Grateful for thoughts 😄
The mistake you are making is the assumption you can just sell your bike and go and buy what ever you want when you want it and I can assure you that is a mistake, we have waited literally months for a 23 Cube Action Team and ironically it has just turned up in the last couple of days and we have had a change of heart and gone Turbo Levo, felt guilt telling the shop, they informed us there were 6 others in the queue so don’t......

Bordtea

Oct 2, 2022
Gloucester, UK
Thanks all. Yes I rather rashly sold the Haibike recently on a whim and now don’t particularly want to be stuck without a bike!

The lead times I’m aware of - I was originally planning to replace it with a Haibike Nduro 8 which I’ve had my name down for since Feb with no sign of them appearing yet, but I think I’ve tracked down some stock of the Giant and Mondrakers.

I guess if 2023 stock doesn’t start hitting stores until Feb/March next year that’s a very long time to be without a bike for…

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
The mistake you are making is the assumption you can just sell your bike and go and buy what ever you want when you want it and I can assure you that is a mistake, we have waited literally months for a 23 Cube Action Team and ironically it has just turned up in the last couple of days and we have had a change of heart and gone Turbo Levo, felt guilt telling the shop, they informed us there were 6 others in the queue so don’t......
23 model? Didn't even know they were announced. What changes are there from the 22 version?

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Have found discounted offers now on a Crafty XR (Ohlins 😋😋) and a Reign E+0.. If they were equally priced, which would you go for? 🧐

Ideally you need to try them for fit, see which geometry suits you better.
Mondraker has the 750 Bosch smart system and ohlins suspension... Know which I'd choose😉

Shooter

Oct 3, 2022
Stockport

I know what you mean but it’s very difficult to get the size and model most bikes you have to preorder taking sometimes months to get hold of .

Feb 3, 2021
UK
1665251313848.png
2023 Crafty will come with top tube battery level rubber/plastic gauge and wireless controller/adjuster BUT you will be looking at March 2023 onwards if you want one unless things change in the supply chain for the better or worse. Mondraker 2023 model embargo was up on OCT 18th BUT has now been delayed until Nov 8th so IF no rush you will get to see the 2023 crafty then. I can tell you that one of the colour schemes on the 2023 Carbon RR is orange/matt black because a french guy leaked video of 2023 model walk around BUT was taken down within 5minutes and I missed it BUT someone did take 1 screenshot of the orange/matt blk crafty rr. Here are 2 images I got lucky and found on mondy website,Posted on fb group and mondy removed them from there website. 2023 Foxy and crafty.

2022-08-25 at 3.55.43 PM.jpeg 2022-08-25 at 3.55.44 PM.jpeg

Last edited:

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
Trying to decide myself, pull the trigger on a discounted 2022 jam2 6.9 that probably won't get a lot of winter use, but I'll kick myself if the same bike next year is 3kg lighter with a Bosch Race motor!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles