Is this opening designed to be there?

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
15693319278718928241546604835605.jpg
I removed my rear wheel today and noticed this opening into the motor compartment just below the swingarm. It this how it was designed? Looks like a perfect way to get dirt/mud/water into the motor compartment. Did I lose a cover?

I was thinking I might cover it but am a little worried it may be there for a reason (venting?).

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I can't tell in your pic but there should be some moto foam in there. Yes, it's for venting and don't worry about it. The motor is sealed and any crap that gets inside the cover should exit the bottom drain hole

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
View attachment 19069 I removed my rear wheel today and noticed this opening into the motor compartment just below the swingarm. It this how it was designed? Looks like a perfect way to get dirt/mud/water into the motor compartment. Did I lose a cover?

I was thinking I might cover it but am a little worried it may be there for a reason (venting?).

Early MY19 models have this issue. Specialized meanwhile has a kit available which your LBS can order for you. The kit consists a sponge and a rubber flap to be patched on the outside.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
I can see some grey foam in there...I guess I will leave it alone. Seems like there would be a better way though...

I am almost sure you didn't have the official modification yet. The foam is normally clearly visible as it is pushed to the outside (on the inner side of the motor housing). I hope you can understand what I mean. Next to that the rubber flap is missing. I recommend to do the official mod. I saw movies on the internet where the motor housing was full of mud, wet (where they electric connectors are) and even worms where crawling though the inside of the housing.

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
Does anyone have a picture of the "official Specialized mod"? I just got this bike a month ago...seems like any mod for 2019 models would have been on it.

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
Ok...I found a video so I know
my bike has the new pivot mod...however I don't think the foam is correctly inserted because it looks stuffed to far in...debris can find its way in there. I think I may go to my LBS where I bought the bike and see what they say.

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
Sorted! Took the bike to the LBS and they dropped the swingarm so we could see what was going on...the foam was stuffed too far down into the compartment it was meant to protect...put it back where it needs to be and put it all back together and she's good to go.

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread. Especially Ridgeway rider...your picture was exactly what I needed to see to know something wasn't right.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles