Is the e13 crank issue now fixed?

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
With the updated guidance for torque, threadlock, and the pinch bolts facing the oppisite side to the "hole" in the ep8 spindle - has the cracking spindle issue on the motor now been fixed?

Has anyone heard a report of this issue, since the updated guidance and with the new setup?

Thanks.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
With the updated guidance for torque, threadlock, and the pinch bolts facing the oppisite side to the "hole" in the ep8 spindle - has the cracking spindle issue on the motor now been fixed?

Has anyone heard a report of this issue, since the updated guidance and with the new setup?

Thanks.

It's fixed by replacing them with Shimano cranks. Contact your Orbea dealer - Orbea will pick up the cost of the replacement cranks + give you a $100 credit on their eStore. Hard to say how long the wait is to actually get them though.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
It's fixed by replacing them with Shimano cranks. Contact your Orbea dealer - Orbea will pick up the cost of the replacement cranks + give you a $100 credit on their eStore. Hard to say how long the wait is to actually get them though.
Whoa! Say what? Is this official news? I haven't seen this anywhere. I haven't received my rise yet, it is meant to come in April.

Is there any notification about this or terms somewhere? Thanks!

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
Replacement is for the carbon cranks. Alloy cranks, I think you've seen enough posts around here to say there are still issues. My experience included.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
Replacement is for the carbon cranks. Alloy cranks, I think you've seen enough posts around here to say there are still issues. My experience included.
I wondered if he meant the carbon ones. Seems pretty shitty that Orbea are using cranks that the motor manufacturer themselves have said are incompatible with the spindle. Seems the em600 cranks are compatible and SUPER cheap compared to the em900/XT ones, but I don't know if they weigh a bomb and I can't find weight specs anywhere on those.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I have the carbon cranks

Sadly the only shimano cranks I can find in stock are The lowest budget FC EM600 these aren’t the hollow tech ones

I know they will fit just not sure about losing my high end cranks for the budget Shimano ones

anyone got any opinions on these arms as in the Em600 ones ???

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
I have the carbon cranks

Sadly the only shimano cranks I can find in stock are The lowest budget FC EM600 these aren’t the hollow tech ones

I know they will fit just not sure about losing my high end cranks for the budget Shimano ones

No idea, but em900 and XT look identical in pictures, but the em900 are always a bit more expensive for some reason....

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I have the carbon cranks

Orbea should be providing you a free set of the EM900's - contact your dealer.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Received the crank arms today what tool is used to tighten up the preload caps is it a shimano special tool
image.jpg

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Only for carbon cranks. I contacted them about my wife's H30 and they sent the instructions for installing the cranks backwards. I bought Shimano cranks on my own dime, not going to wait for the e*thirteens to fail and/or Orbea to get their shit together...

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
Two questions:
1. Why the heck are the Shimano crank arms impossible to find in the US???
2. Are the pre-load caps for the Shimano arms just standard shimano crank pre-load caps or are they e-bike specific?

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay

Thanks.
Just had a reply from Orbea and they don’t mention the pinch bolts to be at 180deg to the hole? Just that the crank arms to be at 180deg

AF36791D-D61C-49AC-AFBE-84425B09B302.png

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
Just had a reply from Orbea and they don’t mention the pinch bolts to be at 180deg to the hole? Just that the crank arms to be at 180deg

View attachment 85073
The way that reads to me is that the hole should be the same side as the pinch bolts, which is wrong as the crank arm should the the same side as the hole and the pinch bolts should be 180 to the hole. This is pissing me off.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
The way that reads to me is that the hole should be the same side as the pinch bolts, which is wrong as the crank arm should the the same side as the hole and the pinch bolts should be 180 to the hole. This is pissing me off.

Ah ok I see what you mean. Why they don't just include the photo I have no idea :(

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Two questions:
1. Why the heck are the Shimano crank arms impossible to find in the US???
2. Are the pre-load caps for the Shimano arms just standard shimano crank pre-load caps or are they e-bike specific?
  1. Ask Shimano?! Most stuff has been out of stock for months, not just the crank arms. Also since Orbea is using Shimano cranks for their recall that's going to suck up some of the supply.
  2. Seem to be standard.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Just out of pure curiosity
What is the reason behind the e13 failures ?
the only thing I can see different with my shimano arms is they have dual pinch bolts

so if that the reason the e13 fail or is it down to some other problem

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
Just out of pure curiosity
What is the reason behind the e13 failures ?
the only thing I can see different with my shimano arms is they have dual pinch bolts

so if that the reason the e13 fail or is it down to some other problem
The alloy e13 are also double pinch bolts

image.jpg

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I agree. This is very annoying to not be able to get a definitive answer as to placement of the crank arms in relation to the hole.
Should we take a poll and go by majority rule or just flip a coin? Does it really matter. Probably not.
The answer is definitive, not sure what you're confused about. The wording of the email above is a little confusing, that's true, but the solution is not.

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
Right. As others have posted here, Orbea says to install the e*13 cranks with the hole in the spindle opposite from the pinch bolts in the crank arm; that is how mine was delivered from Orbea. Shimano uses a stopper plate which sits between the pinch bolts and locks into that hole in the spindle, so when installing Shimano arms, the hole goes on the same side as the pinch bolts.

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
Right. As others have posted here, Orbea says to install the e*13 cranks with the hole in the spindle opposite from the pinch bolts in the crank arm; that is how mine was delivered from Orbea. Shimano uses a stopper plate which sits between the pinch bolts and locks into that hole in the spindle, so when installing Shimano arms, the hole goes on the same side as the pinch bolts.
Not being picky, but that’s opposite to what they emailed me?

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Not being picky, but that’s opposite to what they emailed me?
No, it isn't. I can see why you might find the wording confusing, but when I read your email I understood it to mean the actual solution. They are saying attach the crank the opposite way of Shimano cranks. But the wording isn't specific enough, I agree. They really should have just included the photo (this is the one they sent me).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles