Is now a good time to buy bike parts from Europe to the U.K?

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
With more BREXIT led crisis looming with supply shortages to the U.K consumer, are imports likely to be hurried through the gates of our Island without import tax and VAT being applied to a lot of individual parcels? Or is this simply wishful thinking?

Barnicles

Aug 8, 2020
Uk
Yeah, that's what spawned my thinking after reading his good fortune. Been thinking of chancing sram AXS seat post and derailleur kits from Bike-discount.de
I bought the GX AXS through bike-discount.de and it evaded the fees. My next order didn't though so may have been luck.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I think I got lucky though. I should have paid import duty at 6% if the bike fell outside of rules of origin regulations, which, short of phoning the manufacturer & asking is a bit of an unknowable. Then VAT & DHL's fee.

As I understand it, DHL pay the vat & duty demanded by customs on entry to the UK & recharge the consignee on delivery. They obvs do that in order so their business doesn't end up with every parcel stuck at port while 0000's of punters argue the toss. I'm at a loss to explain why I paid nada but happy enough I didn't. Wouldn't necessarily rely on it though & I WAS ready to cough up if things had gone as I'd expected.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
For info, the bike was £4.5K, so duty roughly £300, VAT £900 & DHL's admin fee 2.5% of import duty ~ £7.50. Since the bike was going through the books, I get the VAT back quickly & didn't think £308 was much of a problem. If you're not in my position, it would obvs be a chunk on top of the purchase & delivery cost & so, worth thinking about.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
For info, the bike was £4.5K, so duty roughly £300, VAT £900 & DHL's admin fee 2.5% of import duty ~ £7.50. Since the bike was going through the books, I get the VAT back quickly & didn't think £308 was much of a problem. If you're not in my position, it would obvs be a chunk on top of the purchase & delivery cost & so, worth thinking about.
Thanks. You did really well. ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles