Is it worth it to use a down tube insulation in the winter to protect the battery from 20-40 degree temperatures? Or colder?

mtnbikerva1

Mar 19, 2022
Mid-Atlantic
Wondering if it actually does any good to buy or make a neoprene cover for the down tube/battery for the winter temperatures and charge longevity and battery longevity longevity.
Thank you.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
I use one that a mate gave me. Not so much for the battery but more as a frame protector and it's easy to undo and get rid of all the mud.
it's quite a handy thing to have on the bike.
I doubt that you manage to keep the battery warm but keeping a bit of wind chill off it can't do any harm .

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
This is mine. I think it's from eBay and I use it during the winter months

PXL_20231125_130944798.jpg

mtnbikerva1

Mar 19, 2022
Mid-Atlantic
Is there any difference between having 30f temperature wind moving at 60-80mph vs stationary for a hour or 10hrs vs riding in 30f temperature?

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
Wind chill will not lower temps for inanimate objects to below the ambient air temperature. A cover may protect from spray and chemicals on the road but your battery will stay at air temperature. Wind chill affects humans and animals.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Any idea what you'd call that @Bones ?

Looks like just what I'm after. I use velcro straps around my battery which means the rubber cover doesn't seal 100% and I'm concerned water will easily get in, a similar cover to yours should sort that out.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate

Looks like just what I'm after. I use velcro straps around my battery which means the rubber cover doesn't seal 100% and I'm concerned water will easily get in, a similar cover to yours should sort that out.
Sorry no . I've had this for a couple of years now and the only small tag on it says xlg.
I have managed to get the Bosch 500 battery to fit in the frame and like you I use a large velcro strap and this cover does a great job of keeping it fairly watertight.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK

Amazon seem to have a number of neoprene downtube covers, perhaps start from here and find one the right size?

E-bike Cover for Battery Protective Universal 28-34 cm (11-13.5inch) Circumference Bicycle Neoprene Cover Waterproof Protection eBike Accessories https://amzn.eu/d/2cGmDxR

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles