Levo Gen 2 Is it better to upgrade fork or shock first

Rich Jones 16

Dec 24, 2020
Essen Germany
I have a 2020 turbo levo which I will upgrade slowly. I was after Magura mt5s with 220mm disk, but there aren't any at the moment. So I am faced with the option of a new fork -probaly pike, or a new shock - probably rock shox super deluxe ultimate. Which is best to install first? Will be a few months before I can get the next upgrade. Thanks

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Which fork do you have now? It seems unlikely the Pike will be an upgrade, that's a noodly fork for a Levo.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I would upgrading the fork will make the most significant difference..........assuming you go for a decent fork, probably best defined by at least offering 36mm stanchions and both high and low compression settings. The other aspect that can make a huge difference depending on your weight and type of riding, is the tune of the fork. In my experience going for a medium tune gives you the most options unless you are quite heavy and/or most of your riding is bike park jump lines!
I chose 2021 160mm Lyric Ultimate and really rate it.

Rich Jones 16

Dec 24, 2020
Essen Germany
Which fork do you have now? It seems unlikely the Pike will be an upgrade, that's a noodly fork for a Levo.
It's the rock shox 35 silver and the most basic deluxe select debonair damper. I do not do big jumps so I was just looking for a set up which will give me more security on flow trails, I am 110kg though so something with a bit more "quality" would be great - this is

I had read that the pike was the best fork for all round use while the Lyrik and Zeb were a bit more downhill focused - I don't really ride hard enough to warrant a 36/38 fox fork. Moving to a fox 34 seems like a small improvement for a reasonable amount of expense, and I do not want a bright orange fork.

The bike is only a few months old but the shock sucked itself in (something to do with negative pressure) and it is being repaired. But the guy in the specialized shop said it was just one of those things and not down to overloading. He said the dpx2 was the best shock but I don't want to spend that much and the super deluxe ultimate is almost half the price.

Rich Jones 16

Dec 24, 2020
Essen Germany
I would upgrading the fork will make the most significant difference..........assuming you go for a decent fork, probably best defined by at least offering 36mm stanchions and both high and low compression settings. The other aspect that can make a huge difference depending on your weight and type of riding, is the tune of the fork. In my experience going for a medium tune gives you the most options unless you are quite heavy and/or most of your riding is bike park jump lines!
I chose 2021 160mm Lyric Ultimate and really rate it.
Thanks, i will have a look at the different tune options

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
It's the rock shox 35 silver and the most basic deluxe select debonair damper. I do not do big jumps so I was just looking for a set up which will give me more security on flow trails, I am 110kg though so something with a bit more "quality" would be great - this is

I had read that the pike was the best fork for all round use while the Lyrik and Zeb were a bit more downhill focused - I don't really ride hard enough to warrant a 36/38 fox fork. Moving to a fox 34 seems like a small improvement for a reasonable amount of expense, and I do not want a bright orange fork.

The bike is only a few months old but the shock sucked itself in (something to do with negative pressure) and it is being repaired. But the guy in the specialized shop said it was just one of those things and not down to overloading. He said the dpx2 was the best shock but I don't want to spend that much and the super deluxe ultimate is almost half the price.

Based on the weight and the fact that they spec the 35 for eBikes, I suspect the 35 is actually a Lyrik chassis with cheaper damper and air spring. Otherwise it's Pike-based. The point is, if you switch to a Pike, you're going to get something with the same or more flex. Not really an "upgrade".

I noticed the flex of a Pike while riding the flats, nothing to do with jumping or downhill. It was especially noticeable on small bump "chatter". I'm about 84KG so it's only going to be worse for you. On the other hand if you don't notice the flex now, who cares? :p

The Lyrik is not "downhill" focused IMO, especially in the context of a Levo. Aggressive Levo riders are doing the Zeb/38, which are measurably stiffer. The 38 is overkill for me, so there's no reason to add the extra weight.

As to your original question, its definitely better to upgrade the shock on the Levo if you do a coil. Of course this depends on what you are looking for. For me the climbing traction is so much better and comfort is much improved. As I'm not a jumper, I don't have issues with bottoming. Just be careful which coil shock you chose, some are not supported (Fox being the primary one). Since you seem to be budget conscious, the MRP Hazzard (with heavy-duty shaft) or Ohlins TTX are probably the way to go. More info here.

Last edited:

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia

I have an ebike with a Pike Ultimate, Lyrik Ultimate and a Fox 38 Elite. I'm 96kg and ride with my wheels on the ground. I think the Pike will be too light for you. I can definitely feel the differences between the forks when I ride. The Pike is great but when railing into a berm the Lyrik 38 inspires way more confidence. In some ways a Pike will be going backwards with a smaller diameter stantion. Either a Lyrik RTC3 or a Fox 36 Performance Elite (factory but in black....) will give you the support you are looking for. I don't think a Pike will. Mine is on a hardtail which is a much lighter bike. If cost is an issue I'd either look at the used market for a 2020 model (new ones are 2021) or wait a bit. It'll be worth it. Or get a 2019 or 2020 Lyrik RC2 or RTC3 and you can upgrade it to the current damper and an Ultimate later when more funds come in.

Gordon

Rich Jones 16

Dec 24, 2020
Essen Germany
I have an ebike with a Pike Ultimate, Lyrik Ultimate and a Fox 38 Elite. I'm 96kg and ride with my wheels on the ground. I think the Pike will be too light for you. I can definitely feel the differences between the forks when I ride. The Pike is great but when railing into a berm the Lyrik 38 inspires way more confidence. In some ways a Pike will be going backwards with a smaller diameter stantion. Either a Lyrik RTC3 or a Fox 36 Performance Elite (factory but in black....) will give you the support you are looking for. I don't think a Pike will. Mine is on a hardtail which is a much lighter bike. If cost is an issue I'd either look at the used market for a 2020 model (new ones are 2021) or wait a bit. It'll be worth it. Or get a 2019 or 2020 Lyrik RC2 or RTC3 and you can upgrade it to the current damper and an Ultimate later when more funds come in.

Gordon
Thanks Gordon, really helpful.

Rich Jones 16

Dec 24, 2020
Essen Germany
Based on the weight and the fact that they spec the 35 for eBikes, I suspect the 35 is actually a Lyrik chassis with cheaper damper and air spring. Otherwise it's Pike-based. The point is, if you switch to a Pike, you're going to get something with the same or more flex. Not really an "upgrade".

I noticed the flex of a Pike while riding the flats, nothing to do with jumping or downhill. It was especially noticeable on small bump "chatter". I'm about 84KG so it's only going to be worse for you. On the other hand if you don't notice the flex now, who cares? :p

The Lyrik is not "downhill" focused IMO, especially in the context of a Levo. Aggressive Levo riders are doing the Zeb/38, which are measurably stiffer. The 38 is overkill for me, so there's no reason to add the extra weight.

As to your original question, its definitely better to upgrade the shock on the Levo if you do a coil. Of course this depends on what you are looking for. For me the climbing traction is so much better and comfort is much improved. As I'm not a jumper, I don't have issues with bottoming. Just be careful which coil shock you chose, some are not supported (Fox being the primary one). Since you seem to be budget conscious, the MRP Hazzard (with heavy-duty shaft) or Ohlins TTX are probably the way to go. More info here.
Thanks, I found a really good price on a rockshok Deluxe ultimate RTC and will order a 150 lyrik. If it's black my wife will not notice ?

Rich Jones 16

Dec 24, 2020
Essen Germany
A good fork is more important than a good shock in my opinion. The RS Lyric is a great middle ground fork for most riders. The different damper options makes a difference too as well.
Thanks Gordon, really helpful.
Is there any difference on steering stem diameter that I need to worry about? Or are all rockshox fork steering columns the same diameter. I know that 20 years ago it was not standard - the last time I upgraded was to a RS Judy in 2003!

I found a supplier with a lyrik ultimate 150mm 29" with 51mm offset - so a perfect match.

I ride an XL so used options have steering stems that are all cut to short.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
IMO - fork is definitely the way to go. That fork isn't doing you any favors right now.

If you are willing to branch out to other brands.. check out the Manitou Mezzer. They just dropped a cheaper option. Stiffness is on par with the 38s out there, but lighter. The airspring (at least on the higher end model) is second to none, and the damper doesn't have any head scratching issues.

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
DVO Diamond, just as a leftfield choice?

"Is there any difference on steering stem diameter that I need to worry about?"

As long as you have tapered steerer, you're OK. A few are 1.5" straight steerer. Avoid those unless you've got a lump hammer, a set of ear defenders and some tissues.

Is there any difference on steering stem diameter that I need to worry about? Or are all rockshox fork steering columns the same diameter. I know that 20 years ago it was not standard - the last time I upgraded was to a RS Judy in 2003!

I found a supplier with a lyrik ultimate 150mm 29" with 51mm offset - so a perfect match.

Usually it's 1 1/8" or 28.6 mm at the narrow end where the stem sits. Don't know if Rockshox has got other diameters but I think Fox has got wider diameters in some of their larger forks.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia

98%. of modern forks are tapered, like your bike. You’ll be fine.

Just remember you need to transfer the crown race from the old fork to the new one. It’s part of the headset and need to be on the fork steerer.

Gordon

head

Jul 2, 2020
Slovakia
I upgraded both at the same time, but if I had to choose only one, then it would be the fork. I went with a Fox 38. I hesitated a bit if it's not too much, but after riding it for a while I really like it.

Rich Jones 16

Dec 24, 2020
Essen Germany
I upgraded both at the same time, but if I had to choose only one, then it would be the fork. I went with a Fox 38. I hesitated a bit if it's not too much, but after riding it for a while I really like it.
I am trying to get a lyrik ultimate but they are not available - so I got a deluxe ultimate shock and will put the lyrik on the list for future upgrades. Thanks for the advice

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles