Insurance

Fridge

Nov 17, 2018
Northeast
Has anybody got a good policy at a decent price, my levo has just turned up and I would like to sort out insurance befor I pick it up.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Has anybody got a good policy at a decent price, my levo has just turned up and I would like to sort out insurance befor I pick it up.
I have put mine on my house insurance, added about £30 to the annual policy.
I've found covering a bike on its own policy is pricey.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I just renewed our house insurance so buildings and contents and both ebikes listed insured in the garage at home and away from home all for £230 for the year which I thought was a great deal.

mark1a

Mar 11, 2019
Dorset, UK
I’ve got the Levo, plus a road bike & a gravel bike insured with Laka (total £11k cover). It’s a monthly rolling policy and you only pay out your “share” of the pooled claims. Based on your gear, they set a likely price for the month, and a maximum price. So I will pay £28 for a month, it could be more (it’s capped at £63 on this policy) or it could be less (or even zero).

I’ve only just moved across to this, so too early to say if it’s any good, but I liked the “peer to peer” model, refreshing change from the standard insurance. If it ends up too expensive, I can cancel with a month notice and go back to traditional policy.

Use my referral code for a £25 credit if you take a policy (I’ll get a credit too).

Last edited:

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
I have my Levo insured for full replacement value (not market value) and it's covered for both theft and crash damage. Cost is 5% of replacement, so NZ$450 per year. Just adding it to contents is cheaper, but if it got nicked in a year or two i'd only probably only get paid out 50% or less of a new one.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I'm with Sheilas wheels and they do a similar thing.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
On the house insurance. Check that they pay out the value and not have an upper limit of £700 or some such laughable amount. Check also the security requirements. When I only had clockwork bikes, one insurer wanted me to carry a Gold secure lock with me. I said that if I wanted to carry about an extra couple of kilos, then I would have bought a £2k cheaper bike!

super_claret

Subscriber
Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but just bought the Levo Expert Carbon 2020 and my home insurer (Admiral) won't insure me because it exceeds their maximum £5000 bike value.

Does anyone have a separate policy which doesn't state you have to lock with Gold secure lock whilst away from home?

mark1a

Mar 11, 2019
Dorset, UK
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but just bought the Levo Expert Carbon 2020 and my home insurer (Admiral) won't insure me because it exceeds their maximum £5000 bike value.

Does anyone have a separate policy which doesn't state you have to lock with Gold secure lock whilst away from home?
I'd be surprised if there was such a thing, in fact one of the unusual features of Laka is that a Sold Secure Gold lock is only required when not attended in either the home or a locked vehicle. Some other policies insist on this type of lock at home too.

super_claret

Subscriber
Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
Every policy I've looked at states sold secure gold lock, which is easy when stored at home but it's when I go away that it becomes an issue. If we stay at accommodation with secure bike storage, do they have to have sold secure gold anchor bolts or can I chain it to any immovable object? Also, when transporting the bikes in the back of my KIA Sorento, how do I secure them to an immovable object?

It's knowing what an immovable object is? If making a claim, they'll find any way to avoid paying out and this is the reason I'm thinking
of insuring the bike myself. I may regret it but £500 a year for a policy which has so many conditions isn't appealing...I pay less for my KIA Sorento!!

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Every policy I've looked at states sold secure gold lock, which is easy when stored at home but it's when I go away that it becomes an issue. If we stay at accommodation with secure bike storage, do they have to have sold secure gold anchor bolts or can I chain it to any immovable object? Also, when transporting the bikes in the back of my KIA Sorento, how do I secure them to an immovable object?

It's knowing what an immovable object is? If making a claim, they'll find any way to avoid paying out and this is the reason I'm thinking
of insuring the bike myself. I may regret it but £500 a year for a policy which has so many conditions isn't appealing...I pay less for my KIA Sorento!!
I just had my 2019 Levo stolen from my garage, about 4weeks ago. It was locked to a bolt secured to the wall and the garage was secure. I didn't have the bike insured. The bike was in nearly new condition and owed me £5000.00 adterwards I found out my home insurer 'Sheilas Wheels' would have insured it for £6000 for just £9 a month on top of my home insurance, and that was after I made the claim for a smashed up garage door, and other stolen items from the garage.
The bike had been targeted, it was not opportunistic. They knew exactly what they were after. They probably had a large crowbar and a hydraulic bolt cutter. Hydraulic bolt cutters are small and about £60 on eBay and will cut through thick hardened steel.
I learned my lesson the hard way.... get your bike insured TODAY! It's made me totally paranoid about who's watching me, and has left me in debt. I've also had to spend a substantial amount of money heavily beefing up security.

Last edited:

super_claret

Subscriber
Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
I just had my 2019 Levo stolen from my garage, about 4weeks ago. It was locked to a bolt secured to the wall and the garage was secure. I didn't have the bike insured. The bike was in nearly new condition and owed me £5000.00 adterwards I found out my home insurer 'Sheilas Wheels' would have insured it for £6000 for just £9 a month on top of my home insurance, and that was after I made the claim for a smashed up garage door, and other stolen items from the garage.
The bike had been targeted, it was not opportunistic. They knew exactly what they were after. They probably had a large crowbar and a hydraulic bolt cutter. Hydraulic bolt cutters are small and about £60 on eBay and will cut through thick hardened steel.
I learned my lesson the hard way.... get your bike insured TODAY! It's made me totally paranoid about who's watching me, and has left me in debt. I've also had to spend a substantial amount of money heavily beefing up security.

Sorry to hear that!

My only concern is the small print involved with insurance companies. There are so many conditions to be met and it's virtually impossible to meet them all when you are away from home.

Has anyone tried any of the tracking options out there? At least if it gets stolen, theres a chance of recovery!

I came across this last night...

GPS Tracker for Brose E-Bike. It costs 200 euros and is fixed inside the motor housing and connected to the battery. Also has it's own battery which is charged when the eBike is turned on.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Do you have link to the product? It's about time Ebike batteries were used for trackers

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
FYI, my homeowners insurance will not cover Ebikes, they have it in their fine print, ebikes are considered motor vehicles to them, so I ended up buying insurance from Veloinsurance, not cheap, but still better than having it stolen

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles