I'm new heren but old :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Welcome to the Forum! :)

60 is not old!

I felt like Superman at 63; I was fit, strong, flexible and fast. It only took 8 years to deteriorate to one out of four. Now I'm starting to feel old, but in my head I'm still a young sprog with much to learn. I wish I was a youthful 60 again! :love:

jjaussie

Oct 31, 2022
Orange, Australia
welcome to the forum.
i'm 71. bought a merida e140 500 last decmber. you could see the grin on my face from the enjoyment the first day i rode it. i have great friends introducing me to the use of my new bike.
on 11th january this year i had a stroke with cognitive functions intact but loss of use of my right arm and leg.
4 days ago i cooked bacon and eggs and then ate it. later that day i walked (assisted by 2 physios) from the gym to my hospital room - 40 metres.
age - celebrate the day, the numer is just something you write on a form. one of my cycling friends just had a double knee replacement - at 80
you might get the idea i'm feeling confident. they wouldn't let me bring my bike into my hospital room, so i have photos to remind me of my goal.
perhaps we can meet on april 26 2024 on this forum and compare how we are riding. i will be writing 73 on forms from that day

all the best to all of you

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
One of my riding buddies is 75. Tends to take it a bit carefully on the downhills (we oldies tend to break not bounce) but he’s still faster up the hills than many of the younger ones in our group.
Similar ..Jaco who I ride with has just celebrated his 76th ..way faster uphill than any of us but a double knee replacement has him taking it easy on the downs ..
Daft bugger still thinks he went too early on an ebike and is considering getting another normal mtb ..he also rides a non assisted road bike & gravel ..oh and still competes as a Cox in a rowing crew ..
Some boy ...

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
welcome to the forum.
i'm 71. bought a merida e140 500 last decmber. you could see the grin on my face from the enjoyment the first day i rode it. i have great friends introducing me to the use of my new bike.
on 11th january this year i had a stroke with cognitive functions intact but loss of use of my right arm and leg.
4 days ago i cooked bacon and eggs and then ate it. later that day i walked (assisted by 2 physios) from the gym to my hospital room - 40 metres.
age - celebrate the day, the numer is just something you write on a form. one of my cycling friends just had a double knee replacement - at 80
you might get the idea i'm feeling confident. they wouldn't let me bring my bike into my hospital room, so i have photos to remind me of my goal.
perhaps we can meet on april 26 2024 on this forum and compare how we are riding. i will be writing 73 on forms from that day

all the best to all of you
That's an inspiring story jj. I sure hope that is exactly how I would handle any similar misfortune that may strike me, with a positive mindset and 100% determination. Admiration and healing vibes from me! :love:

I have only one small recommendation: that you invest in an exercise bike. I mean an exercise bike, rather than a set of rollers on which to use your existing bike - for the simple reason that it is more stable. Many years ago, I had a back problem and could barely walk, but I could use my exercise bike. I almost needed a step up to it to get on, but I spent an hour at a time on that bike! In my case it was to try to retain fitness and to mobilise my lower back. In your case one leg can drive round the other to retain mobility and muscle memory.

Keep at it mate and don't give up! 👍
From a fellow 71-year old

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles