I struggle to justify the price of EMTBs when this cost less….

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK
the Tyres for my WR250r(I did pick a low maintaince bike at least) that i sold in the last year of C-19 cost about the same as for my MTB's, Brake pads cost more for the MTB etc etc

MTBs are high maintenance if you want them to keep functioning as they should, its one of the reasons i look forward to the Pinion Motor gear box units.
I do all the maintenance on our EMTB’s which saves money but I leave the motorbike maintenance to the dealers who milk me dry!
I’m also very much looking forward to the combined Pinion motor and gearbox. I’m hoping it is a big success so I can buy one in a couple of years when I’m ready to change my bike.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
I love my Turbo Levo and big fan of e bikes, but my new Honda CRF 300 Rally costs £6,500 BRAMD NEW. When you look at the engineering and kit on the motorbike (ABS etc) , it does make e bikes look very expensive. And the motorbike will hold its price better. I admit I have insurance, tax and fuel to factor in on running costs for the motorbike..

Just had a week in the Pyrenees on the Honda which was epic. But promised my wife the motorbike will be sold after the trip. 🥲.

Can’t work out if it’s the Honda that’s amazing value for money, or the Speicialized that’s too expensive..

View attachment 119311
Well. I wouldn't never pay 6500 pounds for motorbike. Turbo Levo? I would gladly pay 10 000 pounds for it. 🤷‍♂️

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
Another thing is the insurance, my 2016 ZX6R is £17 a month and my Whyte E-160 is £28 a month to insure...

I've also never had a serious injury in over 50,000 miles of sports and superbikes over the last 15 years, including multiple trackdays, but I've managed to smash my wrist to pieces within 240 miles of EMTB ownership, currently out of action for the next 3 months.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Another thing is the insurance, my 2016 ZX6R is £17 a month and my Whyte E-160 is £28 a month to insure...

I've also never had a serious injury in over 50,000 miles of sports and superbikes over the last 15 years, including multiple trackdays, but I've managed to smash my wrist to pieces within 240 miles of EMTB ownership, currently out of action for the next 3 months.
To be fair the insurance is more expensive because you can throw a push bike over your shoulder and walk off with it a motorbike not so much ,also most push bike insurances are a new for old policy you dont get a new ZX6r if it goes missing (y)

Oh And my bike insurance works out at £11 a month on 10k replacement value .

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
To be fair the insurance is more expensive because you can throw a push bike over your shoulder and walk off with it a motorbike not so much ,also most push bike insurances are a new for old policy you dont get a new ZX6r if it goes missing (y)

Oh And my bike insurance works out at £11 a month on 10k replacement value .
Probably comes down to motorbikes are more likely to be recovered or found burnt out.

whilst bikes just disappear and probably a lot of fraudulent claims that they can't prove one way or the other.

look I have a broken lock and a crime number, now pay out.

we all know atleast in the UK the police won't investigate anything you just get a crime number so easily

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
Hi!

Regarding safety, 2 wheel vehicles will be safer than shady submarines, and less safe than a sofa!

The value is something personall.
But usually sports/tech items have a higher depreciation than anythinylg else...

In the future there is a high probability that ebikes cost less than 4/5k! Decathlon is presently selling ebikes with brose engines for less than 2.5k!

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
sure as hell doesn't cost billions
when it comes to CNC machines people do it in their garage as a hobby....
So how much do you think a twin spindle lathe with powered tooling like this one costs and how many cassettes will you need to produce to turn a profit?

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
So how much do you think a twin spindle lathe with powered tooling like this one costs and how many cassettes will you need to produce to turn a profit?

seems those machines cost around 140k used when they are around 10 years old so can't be much more than 2 mil I bet.
Sram won't be paying for those machines outright they will be paying for runtime, I doubt it's as expensive as you'd like to imagine and more people would buy them if they were cheaper.

I'm guessing they want to keep them rare so dentists etc keep buying them as a status symbol

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
No question in my mind. I do not want the noise associated with snowmobile/motocross bike.
I live up north with snow, ice and cold for many months.
I have been carless the last 23 years.
My Ebike is fun and practicle year round.
Maybe a Giant/Yamaha is worth looking at, more affordable.

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
it's not like some guy is doing them by hand... also loads of parts are just CNC machined there's no skill or great cost involved int he actual manufacturing
Which means, you don’t know Jack shit about what it costs to buy, run and the skill that’s needed to operate a CNC machine. Same with the rest of you complainers. You don’t know shit about bike companies and why their products are priced higher than larger companies products. It doesn’t take an economic genius to figure out why bike stuff is priced the way it is. If you paupers can’t afford it, take up knitting. It’s not going to change because you complain about it. Plus there’s always cheap used bike about there to buy and ride.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Which means, you don’t know Jack shit about what it costs to buy, run and the skill that’s needed to operate a CNC machine. Same with the rest of you complainers. You don’t know shit about bike companies and why their products are priced higher than larger companies products. It doesn’t take an economic genius to figure out why bike stuff is priced the way it is. If you paupers can’t afford it, take up knitting. It’s not going to change because you complain about it. Plus there’s always cheap used bike about there to buy and ride.
CNC machine is as easy as loading the file on a computer and hitting print....
some of you just love to be ripped off with prices and call for it.
probably the rich people who want status symbol bike parts the masses shouldn't be able to afford :ROFLMAO:

Gucci should start making bike components

Kshaw

Jul 3, 2023
San Antonio
I used to ride dirt bikes and loved it. Unfortunately it is very expensive. Upgrades for the bike, proper protective gear is well over $1,500. I ended up crashing down a mountain and broke my arm and wrist in 2 places. That’s what led to me mountain bikes and this forum. I assumed dirt bikes would be much safer than street bikes but in reality it’s not.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
probably the rich people who want status symbol bike parts the masses shouldn't be able to afford :ROFLMAO:

Is it? How much you have done it? How many bikes or components have you desingned and machined?

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Is it? How much you have done it? How many bikes or components have you desingned and machined?
how many have you designed? how many CNC machines do you own?
2million for an industrial CNC machine is cheap when they make 500$ parts out of 20$ worth of metal

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
how many have you designed? how many CNC machines do you own?
2million for an industrial CNC machine is cheap when they make 500$ parts out of 20$ worth of metal
Answer my question please. Don't answer by question. It's not polite.
You seem to know it's easy to desing and make things?
Maybe you should start to make them and get that big easy money? ;)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I was trying to be polite in my earlier replies but you know what? Fuck it. You’re either an idiot or a troll. Or an idiotic troll.
You either know two tenths of fuck all about CNC machines, programming, setting, or operating said machines, CAD design, marketing and every other hidden or sunk cost in producing a top end cassette. Or you’re a troll.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Answer my question please. Don't answer by question. It's not polite.
You seem to know it's easy to desing and make things?
Maybe you should start to make them and get that big easy money? ;)
yea have you heard of this programme called CAD?
Seems doomanic has..

Hey doomanic have you ever heard of computer chips? these tiny little things that take massive machines to print?
Amazingly the things they make cost much more than a cassette to design, much more expensive machines to actually make them, billions more in RND and yet the end product is often cheaper than some high end bike components

BTW Doomanic I'm totally fine with the language used in your last post, :) MY skins thicker than some peoples wallets (sorry couldn't help that one)

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Ever heard of economy of scale? Of course you have, that’s why it’s clear you’re trolling.

Paul C

Dec 28, 2020
west susssex
Cycling is biggest con going with its fads and must haves. Prices are crazy expensive. But the 2nd best fun to motorcycling of any sort.
COVID had us paying silly silly money and waiting for stock to come in.
But I notice a lot more deals about now on last year's models and even current stock.

Winger

May 28, 2020
Birmingham
COVID had us paying silly silly money and waiting for stock to come in.
But I notice a lot more deals about now on last year's models and even current stock.

Your right…and currently got 6 motorcycles in the garage and we both have a Turbo Levo,the problem being…non of are going to live for ever, so we lump it first and like it second

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
I love my Turbo Levo and big fan of e bikes, but my new Honda CRF 300 Rally costs £6,500 BRAMD NEW. When you look at the engineering and kit on the motorbike (ABS etc) , it does make e bikes look very expensive. And the motorbike will hold its price better. I admit I have insurance, tax and fuel to factor in on running costs for the motorbike..

Just had a week in the Pyrenees on the Honda which was epic. But promised my wife the motorbike will be sold after the trip. 🥲.

Can’t work out if it’s the Honda that’s amazing value for money, or the Speicialized that’s too expensive..

View attachment 119311
Another thing to consider while similar they aren't the same so that kinda gives them that wiggle room on the price not that I agree. with the prices.

LeftItLancs

Apr 12, 2021
North UK
Not forgetting, the price includes 20% VAT in the UK. In one breath, this Tory regime and their mouthpieces in the right-wing media endlessly complain about lifestyle and obesity and the subsequent pressure on the NHS etc. Claim they support lower taxation and less government interference, and in the next breath tax the tools that help tackle that obesity. If you can get two or three years out of an eMTB then personally I think it is good value - the 20% VAT of course. We all know the value of regular exercise, fitness, mental well-being etc and so why on earth are those tools taxed so heavily in the first place.

mtb-steve

Nov 4, 2021
Cumbria

Ohh dear. I suggest you try using one, by the time you've broken every cutter, crashed the machine and wrecked all the stock you may have an appreciation for the machinists who operate them, and the designers who create the files.
I alway love it when someone says to me "The computer does it" I just stand up and tell them to take over. These are just dumb tools that do dumb shit if you tell them to.
As to the price of motorcycles vs emtb, I suspect the bicycle industry is more profitable then than the motorcycle industry, and I've never heard of a bicycle manufacturer having to deal with safety recalls.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

View attachment 119311
Yes your right there pal

Outersphere

Apr 4, 2023
Clyde, NZ
You are not wrong. The price disparity is horrendous given the additional tech and material moto has in it.

The answer is supply and demand. The price of the bike is what you are willing to pay. Specialized are banking more margin than honda.

Its would be interesting to do a comparison over time. Moto cost to purchase is low but ongoing maintenance cost is high. Maybe moto runs lower margins to sell the bike then hits you in the wallet with servicing and rebuilds over time?
Have you priced a SRAM cassette and chain lately? NZ $499 for cassette and $85 for chain for GX.
My DR650 Suzuki Chain is NZ $189, front sproket$35 and rear Sprocket $55 and they last for over 22,000km :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles