I Backed Out of New E-MTB Purchase

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
I'm just in from a 20mile off road ride with my 18yr old. I rode my Eeb simply because it was closest to the door and ready to go so I rode the entire route with the bike switched off.

I'm a good bit heavier than you and under 6ft. Not that I've any idea why our weights or heights are relevant.
Weight is very relevant going uphill. Where I ride we routinely do rides that climb thousands of feet. We have one rider who only weighs 130lbs and he has never used more than half his battery on any of our rides. For those rides, weight correlates closely with battery use. Flat or downhill then weight is not important. You are right that height is irrelevant:)

Winger

May 28, 2020
Birmingham
Electric mountain bike development has hardly got going, wait till all rear shocks have springs,and you can buy different springs for your weight, they have separate compression/rebound and preload ajustment.

The problem being anyone looking to spend 5k does risk having a very old bike 3 years from now but that’s a decision each individual has to make.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Electric mountain bike development has hardly got going, wait till all rear shocks have springs,and you can buy different springs for your weight, they have separate compression/rebound and preload ajustment.

You seem new to this mountain bike game?

You do know that mountain bikes have had coil springs with separate compression (high and low) and rebound (high and low) and spring preload for years (I had one in 2007 on my Spesh enduro) along with different spring weights for different rider weights /preferences?

Go Google for ccdb coil shocks for one example, but there have been loads out there over the years.

Coil sprung shocks are good, but they don't suit frames with linear leverage curves, and they are heavy compared to air sprung shocks, and less easy to adjust for different rider weights. On the plus side coil shocks are/we're more reliable and more supple/less seal stiction than air springs

Last edited:

Winger

May 28, 2020
Birmingham
This thread is about electric mountain bikes..... with the exception of the Sam Squared show me another?

And while we are at it... look at threads even late 19 about motors and still singing Shimano praises, 20 is a 2 horse race and they ain’t either.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
This thread is about electric mountain bikes..... with the exception of the Sam Squared show me another?

And while we are at it... look at threads even late 19 about motors and still singing Shimano praises, 20 is a 2 horse race and they ain’t either.
Yt decoy shred - off the top of my head.

But the point is that an e mtb is just a mountain bike, you can fit any mountain bike shock to it you like, as long as the dimensions are correct. Decent Coil spring shocks for mountain bikes have been around for at least 15 years, they're not a new thing, they work well in certain frames and for certain applications and less well for others.

My bike has an air sprung shock with high and low speed compression and rebound adjust (fox float x2) I could swap it for a fox x2 coil sprung shock if I wanted - but I don't, I prefer an air spring. But anyone who currently has an airpring shock could probably find a coil sprung shock that would fit if they so wanted.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
When DH WCs are being won on air sprung suspension I'm damn sure your average Ebike rider doesn't need coil sprung suspension.

Ebikes are heavy enough already.

Winger

May 28, 2020
Birmingham
Since when did what is needed have anything to do what sells, who the hell needs 170/80 mph motorcycle....but they sell,and it’s interesting watching mountain bike development mirror what has gone in motorcycle years before.

The important thing in all of this is for the OP, development never stops so you will always have an old bike short of buying new every year...even this year my wife has gone from a Whyte 150s to a Cube 160 which really brings us full circle to money, i’ve Been skint and didn’t like it so did something about it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles