I’ve mulleted my Rise, here are the angles. Also help needed on Stunlocker speed correction

GTBusso

Dec 26, 2021
Hitchin
Hi Folks,

I‘ve just put offset bushings the wrong way round in my shock. This is to counteract the slackening and BB drop now it has a 27.5 on the rear. Hopefully the bushings will stay in position and not settle facing into the shock.

Edit- after a few heavy rides, the front bushing has spun. It’s still a tight fit, but has slipped into its resting position. So don’t do it.

Measurements taken with an iPhone angle finder, so not hugely accurate-

Regular bike- Head angle 66*, seat angle 75*’, BB height 330mm
Mulleted bike- Head angle 66*, seat angle 74*, BB height 325mm

All is near enough, so just need to ride it now. Handles brilliantly as stock, but buzzed my ass 3 or 4 times at the bike park, so giving this new set up a go.

I seem to be drawing a blank on google and the Stunlocker manual, but I wonder if anyone might know what values to change in Stunlocker for the ‘circumference‘ and/or ’speed correction’?

Current circumference on Stunlocker is 2300mm for the 29” wheel/tyre. So is it just a case of measuring the circumference of the 27.5 wheel/tyre and popping that as the new value? I have a 2.35 Hans Dampf tyre on the back, same as what was on the 29 wheel.

How about the speed correction?

Im new to all this app stuff, so thanks if you can help out.

Last edited:

GTBusso

Dec 26, 2021
Hitchin
Thanks Gary, Ive been reading through the Stunlocker manual and it seems circumference is a premium feature, which I was going to buy anyway. My firmware is newer than looks compatible, so may be a faff for me.

I don’t have a speed display on my bike, I just use the emtb app on my Garmin watch to show battery and mode. I only want to ride the bike, not worried about checking how fast I’m going, so do I need to worry about changing any settings? Unless maybe it cuts the top assist speed off at lower than 15mph if I don’t change the wheel circumference. Yeah probably-doh.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. no reason to have a display at all if you don't want to.
but yes. be aware the assistance will cut out at a lower speed with a smaller rear wheel.
around 14.8mph instead of 15.5mph

GTBusso

Dec 26, 2021
Hitchin
D1DF34D5-5F48-4068-A956-8634673B7F11.jpeg

da12641

May 10, 2021
Orange County California
Thanks Gary, Ive been reading through the Stunlocker manual and it seems circumference is a premium feature, which I was going to buy anyway. My firmware is newer than looks compatible, so may be a faff for me.

I don’t have a speed display on my bike, I just use the emtb app on my Garmin watch to show battery and mode. I only want to ride the bike, not worried about checking how fast I’m going, so do I need to worry about changing any settings? Unless maybe it cuts the top assist speed off at lower than 15mph if I don’t change the wheel circumference. Yeah probably-doh.
Same here STunlocker ( premium version ) is asking if I want to downgrade firmware to change wheel size settings to 27.5. Has anyone downgraded the firmware to enable the wheel diameter settings?

GTBusso

Dec 26, 2021
Hitchin
A small update to this as I’ve done a about 10-15 fairly rowdy rides on the Rise now. I noticed before today’s ride that the front offset bushing had indeed spun around. So basically the offset was towards the shock where they’re designed to be.
It wasn’t slack, it needed the bushing tool to take it out and press back in.
I’ve got a 216x63 DPX2 coming this week, so all good.

MikeL_mtb

Feb 15, 2022
New York
Did you adjust the circumference? A friend said that you can revert to the old firmware, update the wheel size, and upgrade back to current FW and that change sticks. He also has been meaning to have the shop try with the official shimano tool since bikes are sold with 27.5 wheels, so it should be supported officially, but he hasn't gotten there yet.

GTBusso

Dec 26, 2021
Hitchin
No, I haven’t messed with any firmware. It’s only on rare fast, flat XC rides that I wouldn’t mind a bit more MPH before assist cuts out.
The stuff I’m using the Rise for is generally up or down.

MadTurnip

Jan 14, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
Did you adjust the circumference? A friend said that you can revert to the old firmware, update the wheel size, and upgrade back to current FW and that change sticks. He also has been meaning to have the shop try with the official shimano tool since bikes are sold with 27.5 wheels, so it should be supported officially, but he hasn't gotten there yet.
You can indeed do that. The shop can also correct the wheel circumference if indeed it is incorrect.
Reverting the firmware does require an Android phone now though.

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
Everyone need to realize that adjusting the Circumference of the wheel only adjusts the display of speed correctly and does not actually affect your motor giving you more actual top speed.
1648069140086.png

MikeL_mtb

Feb 15, 2022
New York
it has to be adjustable with something, some bikes ship with a 27.5 rear wheel, so the speed sensor needs to be calibrated, even road wheels with shorter tires need to be tweaked.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles