How to make it faster?

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
The 15mph limit is a bit boring, so how can I make the bike faster (other than pedaling!), without spending a load of money?

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Yes, but I don’t want to spend a load of money

Then your cheapest way to ride faster is to ride more to get fitter. Plenty of YouTube vids on how to fitten up on an EMTB so you can really crank out those mph.

The other solution is to buy a cheap, secondhand motorbike. That'll go a lot faster on the roads than any mountain bike, unrestricted or not.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Then your cheapest way to ride faster is to ride more to get fitter. Plenty of YouTube vids on how to fitten up on an EMTB so you can really crank out those mph.

The other solution is to buy a cheap, secondhand motorbike. That'll go a lot faster on the roads than any mountain bike, unrestricted or not.

I‘m perfectly fit, thanks, as I’m a competitive swimmer, entering regular competitions, and also do traithlon challenges at the gym, as well as train some of the guys in my gym. I’m just asking if there’s a way of increasing the limiter on the Bosch motor. That’s all.:sneaky:

And why would I buy a cheap secondhand motorbike when I already have a brand new one? ;)

Simps

Aug 18, 2019
Staffordshire
Like this. But your speedo will be out which I did not like so bought a speedbox 2. Your speedo will be how fast you are pedaling rather than how fast the wheel is turning.
Move the speed sensor and attach with cable ties.
Add a strong magnet on your pedal allen bolt head. I used a strontium magnet.
Edit... I dont miss those pedals :oops:

IMG_20190819_122317.jpg

IMG_20190819_122626.jpg

Last edited:

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
That looks good. I guess if the speedo is out, it’ll also give inaccurate mileages/ calories etc, so would stick to using my Garmin watch for that stuff.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
That won’t work on the 2020 Bosch motor and will give a 504 error (tampering detected). You’ll then have to ride for 90 minutes with the motor on but assist off to reset it. Three 504 errors and you can wave your warranty goodbye.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
That won’t work on the 2020 Bosch motor and will give a 504 error (tampering detected). You’ll then have to ride for 90 minutes with the motor on but assist off to reset it. Three 504 errors and you can wave your warranty goodbye.

Damn it!! :ROFLMAO:

Simps

Aug 18, 2019
Staffordshire
Ahhh I didn't know that sorry. Also I didn't know what motor version he had to be fair so just replied anyway.
90 mins riding in treacle.......hmmmmmmmmmmm :eek:

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I‘m perfectly fit, thanks, as I’m a competitive swimmer, entering regular competitions, and also do traithlon challenges at the gym, as well as train some of the guys in my gym. I’m just asking if there’s a way of increasing the limiter on the Bosch motor. That’s all.:sneaky:

And why would I buy a cheap secondhand motorbike when I already have a brand new one? ;)

Then I really don't understand the problem with pedalling a bit harder. Most of us in here are the wrong side of 50 years old and the wrong side of 25 on the BMI scale, so there's a degree of laziness and a desire to keep up with the fit lads on the ride outs, so sometimes I can understand the desire for that bit of help if you live in the flatlands.

However, the new Bosch Gen 4 has got no noticeable resistance over 25kph and pedals really well with no motor assistance. On the flat and gentle rises it's dead easy to keep up with everyone in the group at 30-35kph. Just what is the issue with this for a fit chap? Unless, of course, you want to be doing 35kph on steep uphills which a fit bloke on a normal FS MTB wouldn't be able to do anyway: then you really are into motorbike territory. :cool:

If you have the Bosch Gen 4 motor, get used to riding with the motor off for 90 minutes as good practice for some of the tips. :)

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
That is my reason for putting the speedbox on my bike, it turned my frown upside down :)
I need to have a go on a Gen 4 after all this crap is out the way.

I can understand that. I borrowed a number of bikes before buying mine and that resistance over 25kph on some of them was a killer for me. I spend a lot of time riding above the support speed and, as you say, it was enough to turn a smile upside down. :cry:

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Then I really don't understand the problem with pedalling a bit harder. Most of us in here are the wrong side of 50 years old and the wrong side of 25 on the BMI scale, so there's a degree of laziness and a desire to keep up with the fit lads on the ride outs, so sometimes I can understand the desire for that bit of help if you live in the flatlands.

However, the new Bosch Gen 4 has got no noticeable resistance over 25kph and pedals really well with no motor assistance. On the flat and gentle rises it's dead easy to keep up with everyone in the group at 30-35kph. Just what is the issue with this for a fit chap? Unless, of course, you want to be doing 35kph on steep uphills which a fit bloke on a normal FS MTB wouldn't be able to do anyway: then you really are into motorbike territory. :cool:

If you have the Bosch Gen 4 motor, get used to riding with the motor off for 90 minutes as good practice for some of the tips. :)

All good points, and yep the lack of resistance over 25kph is good. I've had the bike up to 54kph already, on a downhill section, so it'll get up there.

25kph up hills isn't a major issue, I was simply asking how easy it is to get that limiter removed, as it's always nicer to go faster!

From the responses on here, it seems like more hassle than it's worth, so I guess I'll just plod on up the hills. :p;)

GrantCube

Mar 26, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I posted this in another thread......not trying to be controversial, just my point of view. I can really see the value of the derestrictor for a commuter but the negatives outweighed the positives for me. Maybe I dont mean that the product was "stupid" but the change in bike feel was so surprising to me that my reaction was a little intense, so my apologies to the manufacturer.

"So here is the thing........when I bought this bike, the original owner had installed a badass box, I have drawn a ring around it in the attached photo, and as I had no emtb experience, I left it on the bike and found that I was riding everywhere very quickly, no, I mean really quickly........60km/h on the roads.
I didn't mind so much but I began to feel like I wasn't riding a bike but more having a moped experience and I wasn't really in love with the bike........weird huh? Can't really explain it but like there was no challenge to anything I was doing....not so much on trails but even then to some degree.
Anyway, yesterday I went on some new trails and found one really aggressive rock garden and after I passed through it, I felt like i was riding in knee deep wet concrete...........Yep, badass box knocked off and no signal being read by the sender unit as the magnet was now in the wrong place. I panicked and hunted everywhere for the stupid box but to no avail so I reset the magnet and rode the rest of the afternoon and you know what? I found I owned a different bike and one that I really enjoyed! Gear changes have more meaning, I actually get to work out on the commute to and from the trails and the bike just feels like new........please don't ask me to explain that though.
So now I laugh about the stupid lost badass box and really enjoy my bike again!"

Good result!
Best
Grant

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I posted this in another thread......not trying to be controversial, just my point of view. I can really see the value of the derestrictor for a commuter but the negatives outweighed the positives for me. Maybe I dont mean that the product was "stupid" but the change in bike feel was so surprising to me that my reaction was a little intense, so my apologies to the manufacturer.

"So here is the thing........when I bought this bike, the original owner had installed a badass box, I have drawn a ring around it in the attached photo, and as I had no emtb experience, I left it on the bike and found that I was riding everywhere very quickly, no, I mean really quickly........60km/h on the roads.
I didn't mind so much but I began to feel like I wasn't riding a bike but more having a moped experience and I wasn't really in love with the bike........weird huh? Can't really explain it but like there was no challenge to anything I was doing....not so much on trails but even then to some degree.
Anyway, yesterday I went on some new trails and found one really aggressive rock garden and after I passed through it, I felt like i was riding in knee deep wet concrete...........Yep, badass box knocked off and no signal being read by the sender unit as the magnet was now in the wrong place. I panicked and hunted everywhere for the stupid box but to no avail so I reset the magnet and rode the rest of the afternoon and you know what? I found I owned a different bike and one that I really enjoyed! Gear changes have more meaning, I actually get to work out on the commute to and from the trails and the bike just feels like new........please don't ask me to explain that though.
So now I laugh about the stupid lost badass box and really enjoy my bike again!"

Good result!
Best
Grant

That's a very good point, and one I hadn't thought about, if I'm honest.

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
I did the magnet on the crank mod. Took it off after 1 ride and made it stock again. Like the post above, I just felt like I was just going too fast ALL the time. I used it on my usual route and I was more knackered at the end than with the stock bike.

The speed limit is annoying though on my Gen3 motor, but I've just learned to ride around it. Pedalling down any slight incline over the cutout doesn't actually feel too bad, but admit it can sometimes be annoying on the flat.

LawmanMtb

Aug 15, 2018
Wigan
20Mph is the sweet spot Imo (y) if they sell them into the USA with 20Mph limit then there must be a way to change it over from Euro to USA?? like the Shimano app thingy?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles