How to drop motor of YT Decoy?

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
I have had a very good conversation with YT about motor replacement etc. on the Decoys. It is actually Shimano's policy that prevent YT from selling motors. They are just not allowed by Shimano. So the old/broken motor has to be sent to YT, YT sent it to Shimano and Shimano sent a new motor back with or without discount (Shimano's decision). Also a thing I did not know was that the warranty on the motor lies with YT. So for example, if you buy a new motor at a Shimano approved support center then the warranty lies with them not you. They are also not allowed (by Shimano) to install YT's firmware on the bike. Only YT can do that. If you buy a new motor somewhere else Shimano will not grant you any warranty. That is of course an absolutely insane policy, that is only true for the motor not for any other Shimano part on the bike.

As I am planning a 2/3 month biking trip through the alps this summer I am in need of a replacement motor. Just in case it fails. They mentioned that sending it to YT and back to me could take 20 or so days so that is just too long. I ordered a spare e8000 motor from 4mybike.de. Will have the motor tested before my trip.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Hi, I dropped the motor yesterday with help of my wife with holding the motor. Left the back most bolts in, but loose. Disconnected the wires and removed the motor. I installed the new motor, put the battery in and it started right up. The bought license for ST-unlocker and changed the wheel circumference, mount angle and chain size to reflect the older motor. Works, easy peasy. Then I put the old motor back. So now when it breaks I just swap it out. Just not sure what I will do with the firmware.....

yannw

Jun 27, 2023
Brighton
I just removed the motor and fitted an 'accessory'. Flowinh2o summarized it perfectly earlier in this thread:

1) mount it on a rack if you have one and take off both rims
2) remove chain from the front chainring
3) remove battery
4) in the battery compartment remove the one screw for the bracket that holds down the wires so you can get some slack on the cables. This will make removing the motor waaay easier
5) remove the chain guide so you can access one of the six motor bolts behind it
6) remove the four bolts holding on the bash guard underneath the motor
7) if you want to completely drop the motor just remove all 6 bolts. If you want it to sit nicely in the frame and not just fall out first remove the 4 on each side towards the front of the bike and then just loosen the two remaining ones at the lowest point near the rear. This will allow you to pivot the motor in the frame and get access to the wires without pulling the whole thing out. You can see below how it can just sit in the frame with just the back two bolts.

My only addition is not to bother with a stand, just flip the bike upside down, this way the motor can't fall out. Once loose you can rest the motor assembly (complete with cranks) on the frame at an angle and leave the main power cable connected.

Also, if the motor is too tight to remove, just tap it very lightly with a rubber mallet (in the correct direction) to break the dirt seal. After that it'll lift out easy.

It's always a good idea to take loads of pics so you can look back at where a cable was sitting before you pulled it all out.

Tip: to prevent any accessories from rattling against the frame, find an old (ideally waterproof) winter glove, cut the thumb off and turn it inside out, put your accessories inside and tape shut. You can then drop that into the bottom of the seat post (because the bike is upside down).

Total time spent fitting my accessory was 30 mins.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
Hi, I dropped the motor yesterday with help of my wife with holding the motor. Left the back most bolts in, but loose. Disconnected the wires and removed the motor. I installed the new motor, put the battery in and it started right up. The bought license for ST-unlocker and changed the wheel circumference, mount angle and chain size to reflect the older motor. Works, easy peasy. Then I put the old motor back. So now when it breaks I just swap it out. Just not sure what I will do with the firmware.....
Hi Sapientiea, how did you sort out the firmware situation?

Cheers.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Hi Sapientiea, how did you sort out the firmware situation?

Cheers.
The motor came with firmware version 4.3.2. I installed it and it worked. I just changed the wheelsize and some other parameters that I copied from the other motor. I will upgrade the firmware when I need the motor using @vadII described method to 4.8.0. The motor should just work fine, no need for special YT firmware...It is basically just settings that you can change with ST unlocker.

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
The motor came with firmware version 4.3.2. I installed it and it worked. I just changed the wheelsize and some other parameters that I copied from the other motor. I will upgrade the firmware when I need the motor using @vadII described method to 4.8.0. The motor should just work fine, no need for special YT firmware...It is basically just settings that you can change with ST unlocker.
yep, the motor firmware had no idea that it is in a YT. I have a motor in my bike that was "setup" for my wife's Canyon. Just plugged it in and rode it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles