How to affect ebike policy (USFS, BLM, etc)?

RobG

Apr 27, 2022
Fulltime RV
I'm about to become an ebike owner... and of course I find out that ebikes aren't allowed on 99% of the trails. And from what I've read here and on other forums, it's mainly "because it has a motor." Which as we know is a stupid excuse. And a lot of it seems to come down to out-dated laws (sorta like the Chicken Tax, in case anybody knows what that is.. though it's not the best analogy).

Anyway... I've always been an activist type that goes after crap like this. I've been a member of the National Motorists Association since 1992, the Blue Ribbon Coalition since their inception, etc. I used to mountain bike 3-4 times a week back in 2000-2001 when I lived in the SF Bay Area, until a crash broke my collarbone and I ended up moving to Nevada... where I discovered powersports.

Now, while I'm still very much into powersports, I've been interested in ebikes for years since I noticed that Yamaha one that came out, what, ten years ago or so now? A friend (the same one that got me into powersports) has convinced me to get an ebike and get back into riding... and like I said, I come to find out that they're automatically banned pretty much everywhere. And stupid laws piss me off.

So... who all can I write to? Will it do any good? I doubt it. But I'll still do it. I've already written to the Blue Ribbon Coalition to see if they will be able to advocate for ebikes in addition to their OHV-related activities. I fired off a letter to the East Bay Regional Parks District, which has closed all but a handful of trails to ebikes. And I was about ready to write to the USFS and BLM when I thought I'd post here first and see if there was a better way to go about it.

I'd say let's start a petition, but do those things really work? Like, using change.org? I'm not so sure. The gov agencies seem to only care when they have their comment periods open.

I could write to my various representatives, but all that ever seems to do is get me on their mailing list so I get more spam.

Thoughts?

Rob

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
I'm about to become an ebike owner... and of course I find out that ebikes aren't allowed on 99% of the trails. And from what I've read here and on other forums, it's mainly "because it has a motor." Which as we know is a stupid excuse. And a lot of it seems to come down to out-dated laws (sorta like the Chicken Tax, in case anybody knows what that is.. though it's not the best analogy).

Anyway... I've always been an activist type that goes after crap like this. I've been a member of the National Motorists Association since 1992, the Blue Ribbon Coalition since their inception, etc. I used to mountain bike 3-4 times a week back in 2000-2001 when I lived in the SF Bay Area, until a crash broke my collarbone and I ended up moving to Nevada... where I discovered powersports.

Now, while I'm still very much into powersports, I've been interested in ebikes for years since I noticed that Yamaha one that came out, what, ten years ago or so now? A friend (the same one that got me into powersports) has convinced me to get an ebike and get back into riding... and like I said, I come to find out that they're automatically banned pretty much everywhere. And stupid laws piss me off.

So... who all can I write to? Will it do any good? I doubt it. But I'll still do it. I've already written to the Blue Ribbon Coalition to see if they will be able to advocate for ebikes in addition to their OHV-related activities. I fired off a letter to the East Bay Regional Parks District, which has closed all but a handful of trails to ebikes. And I was about ready to write to the USFS and BLM when I thought I'd post here first and see if there was a better way to go about it.

I'd say let's start a petition, but do those things really work? Like, using change.org? I'm not so sure. The gov agencies seem to only care when they have their comment periods open.

I could write to my various representatives, but all that ever seems to do is get me on their mailing list so I get more spam.

Thoughts?

Rob

Rob recently the USFS issued new Ebike guidelines for Ebike use on non-motorized National Forest trails. Read the new guidelines and go to the nearest National Forest office near your location and ask them to change the non-motorized trails in your area to motorized.

As far as the BLM goes they have changed the definition of a mountain bike to include Ebikes. Go to there office and ask them to allow Ebikes on non-motorized trails in your area.

When you go to the two different offices remember that you will be recognized as a passionate Ebike user who maybe already riding on BLM and USFS non-motorized trails.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles