How often are your Monarch / Ohlins needing topped up?

MartynG

May 26, 2018
Leeds
Hey all,

Just noticed my shocks were flat as a pancake after today's ride to the Bike shop and was wondering what the average length of time of a repump should be?

I don't hammer them, this week that have had very little trail use mostly flat riding dirt paths etc...

Both shocks needed a good pump and the monarch was essentially dead with only 50psi in it?

How often are you guys pumping your shocks?

MartynG

May 26, 2018
Leeds
The reason I ask is the Manual suggest to check them every time you take the bike out.

It states in the booklet to check the Ohlins every ride and the monarch every ride.

So after cleaning I checked mine today (just because) and they were indeed off.

My monarch was down to around 50/100 psi and my Ohlins were down too.

I topped them both up, but I seen on here some users saying their shocks (especially the monarch) leak a lot and have had them replaced.

I'm just curious if this is normal and expected or if it really should only be around once a month.

Cheers guys :)

MartynG

May 26, 2018
Leeds
The reason I ask is the Manual suggest to check them every time you take the bike out.

It states in the booklet to check the Ohlins every ride and the monarch every ride.

So after cleaning I checked mine today (just because) and they were indeed off.

My monarch was down to around 50/100 psi and my Ohlins were down too.

I topped them both up, but I seen on here some users saying their shocks (especially the monarch) leak a lot and have had them replaced.

I'm just curious if this is normal and expected or if it really should only be around once a month.

Cheers guys :)

Doomanic I'd be interested to hear your results. I hope you can post your results.

Dammit... I quoted myself ... DOH! Sorry!

MartynG

May 26, 2018
Leeds
Thanks Doomanic

I Forget is your bike same as mine, Expert? Do we have the same monarch and Ohlins shocks/forks?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
No. My bike isn't even a Spesh... :ROFLMAO: I know, a non-Levo rider, heretic, burn him, etc.

You just reminded me that I ought to check it, it's been 5 months since I set it up.

MartynG

May 26, 2018
Leeds
No. My bike isn't even a Spesh... :ROFLMAO: I know, a non-Levo rider, heretic, burn him, etc.

You just reminded me that I ought to check it, it's been 5 months since I set it up.

Haha yea it doesn't matter I suppose I guess they we will likely all be similar in their maintenance :)

Still interested to know.
My monarch was the worse, it was honestly flat as a pancake :)

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
You may have a leaky valve as you should not lose that amount of air. Although my forks are a different brand (Fox 36) I check them every month or so and have not had to put air in them for at least 6 months. My rear was air but I changed it to a coil 4 months ago. However I just checked it and it has not lost any air either.

You can use the following tool to check/tighten your valve. You can get something similar from Halfords as well if you need it in a hurry ?

4D7F9A72-E056-4903-A04F-6C3BFD024F99.png

Iain at the back

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2018
Labamo
I run a Shockwiz at either end so check mine before and after each ride. I found I was losing pressure in my RS Super Deluxe but once I got all the air out and re pressurised REMEMBERING TO CYCLE THE SHOCK EVERY 50 psi WHILST PUMPING TO EQUALISE THE +ve and -ve CHAMBERS, it has been perfect.
I did buy a Specialized track pump style shock pump which is a revelation if you have to pump shocks up to and over 300 psi.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Doomanic I'd be interested to hear your results.
I can't actually remember what they were set at originally, but given how well they are working I'd say the pressure in them now is about right and they haven't lost any significant amount of pressure.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles