How many links on a 2021 Rail 9.7

Bennett59

Apr 15, 2021
California
I have a Rail 9.7, had a good get off bent the bars broke the stock Sram Nx Shifter, bought a GX Shifter and got it mounted up. Went for test drive down my street made it 2 min. Then the chain snapped, after looking at it chain had like 4 more cracks in it just waiting to go. How many links are on the chain stock? I fitted a new chain and it’s not working correct skipping a little or feels like it’s catching. I just measured the other chain to the broke chain by laying them out, but I was told I probably did it wrong then. The sram power link is mounted and all the way in also. So now I’m leaning toward wrong chain length or bent derailier bike has 190 miles on it

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Because you had an off, and broke a few things , I would check that the derailer hanger isn’t bent. The hanger is a (cheap) sacrificial part that needs to be working, and installed correctly before proper gear indexing can begin. I’m not sure how many links for your chain but make sure your chainring doesn’t look like a potato chip, your derailer works smoothly, chain alignment to cassette is correct.
A new shifter may require some fine adjustment and alignment for proper chain indexing. A new chain may be necessary and the correct length is important.
Someone else may have more suggestions but that’s all I can think of for now.

Bennett59

Apr 15, 2021
California
I did adjust the B screw got it better, but almost feel as if the chains catching, pedal smooth then you’ll feel kind of hang up then smooth then hang up. It’s not crazy bad but it’s not how it was that’s for sure

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’d really ensure that the derailer hanger alignment is perfect. Even though it a small part -it can really screw up the shifting. If you haven’t got the tool to check out the alignment of the hanger try to visualize the correct alignment or take it to the LBS. The hanger can be bent back to the correct position but…you’ve only got one or two bends before it breaks. Good luck. I have two extra new ones just in case. ($10-25).

vertrkr

Nov 19, 2021
California
My original chain was 119 links including the power link for a 2021 Rail 5 XL. I switched the drivetrain to AXS X01 and that's still the correct chain length for me. Hope it helps.

mxengineer1

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio, USA
My 2021 Trek Rail 9.7 size XL: stock chain is 118 links including the master link.....

BIMG Blue_9636.jpeg

Last edited:

Bennett59

Apr 15, 2021
California
thanks guys mines a Lrg so xl should be close, so I’ll count mine, just been of late and have not had a chance to check it out yet

jonmat

Feb 22, 2020
Sheffield
This problem is often caused by the chain having too many links. If your chain is too long the chain wrap will be decreased and can skip. The last time I changed my chain and it skipped I had my son look at it who is a very experienced bike mechanic. He could tell by the position of the derailleur that my chain was too long and advised taking out two links. Bingo, no more skipping.

Last edited:

Bennett59

Apr 15, 2021
California
This problem is often caused by the chain having to many links. If your chain is too long the chain wrap will be decreased and can skip. The last time I changed my chain and it skipped I had my son look at it who is a very experienced bike mechanic. He could tell by the position of the derailleur that my chain was too long and advised taking out two links. Bingo, no more skipping.
What I’m thinking now, I just really need to figure it out, I guess I should of counted instead of measuring against the old chain. I haven’t been riding as much as I wanted lately

Bennett59

Apr 15, 2021
California
This problem is often caused by the chain having to many links. If your chain is too long the chain wrap will be decreased and can skip. The last time I changed my chain and it skipped I had my son look at it who is a very experienced bike mechanic. He could tell by the position of the derailleur that my chain was too long and advised taking out two links. Bingo, no more skipping.
You think maybe if I took a pic of how it’s looking he may be able to see if he thinks it’s the same issue?

jonmat

Feb 22, 2020
Sheffield
You think maybe if I took a pic of how it’s looking he may be able to see if he thinks it’s the same issue?
I can only ask, put the bike in first gear and post a photo. When I got it wrong I cut the chain to the same length as the old one. It appears I had too many links from when I bought the bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles