How long will your EMTB last you?

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Thanks. I have read Gaints earnings reports, but I dont see the numbers compared to non-ebikes. I simply see lots of ebikes being sold. I guess my question is... does anybody actually know that the profit margins are higher on ebikes when compared to non-ebikes?
It is obvious the margins are higher. But i cannot say if the excess goes to the manufacturers, the retailers or some split. Also part of the larger income is invested in marketing, BS, Kool-Aid, so not all profit they try to acquire market shares.
Do a few searches you will feel the russian did a big job like some elections.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Perceived obsolescence is a big marketing tool which drives the industry. We had 26, 27.5, now 29 and fat bikes not to mention all the different widths. Cables will soon die out and wireless gears and brakes will probably be the norm. I can see cassettes and mechs being a thing of the past as mid drive gear boxes come in. There will be constant change even if we don’t want it in order to keep the market going and make you believe that your bike is not good enough anymore ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
In mainland Europe E-Bikes are massive, and in many areas are overtaking conventional bikes in terms of sales, go to any major city and you will see thousands of them being ridden around.

Noobster

Aug 12, 2019
Yorkshire
What bike/motor combo do you have Gary, a Simano E8000 on a Sommet? That sounds fu(*ed !!

I think that could be his new Vitus e sentier? Not good news seen as I've just got mine. Although sat outside a LBS while they get the battery to fit properly. Just doesn't seem right we pay soo much for these bikes and they have massive reliability issues.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I think that could be his new Vitus e sentier? Not good news seen as I've just got mine. Although sat outside a LBS while they get the battery to fit properly. Just doesn't seem right we pay soo much for these bikes and they have massive reliability issues.
What makes me mad is we can be sure these managers and top guys get bonuses and riders get the problems while they pocket huge retiment benefits. Many are afraid of using their Ebikes not knowing at what time, what place the next problem will hit. There should be huge class actions and they sould get 10,000 hours of community service to do.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
E7000 (Sentier) motor above.
My E8000 on the sommet is fucked too.

Neither has done 800 Miles.

All shimano motors are shit!

I can't even remember how many I've had break now but it's a 100% record and none have even managed 800 miles

Noobster

Aug 12, 2019
Yorkshire
E7000 (Sentier) motor above.
My E8000 on the sommet is fucked too.

Neither has done 800 Miles.

All shimano motors are shit!

I can't even remember how many I've had break now but it's a 100% record and none have even managed 800 miles

How do you ride Gary?

Just your well known on this forum for being a good rider so are talking your doing 10 foot drops and 30 foot gaps? Just wondering if my poodling and commuting and odd 6 foot jump will cause the same problems. Or if your big style kind of riding the motors just arnt up to yet to last for long doing them.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My comments are based on talking to 4 local bike shops that sell 40 or 50 analogue bikes for every ebike they sell - and they sell quite a few ebikes.
How many of those 40-50 analogue bikes were in the same price band as the eBikes? The nearest LBS to me is a good bike shop, good staff who do reliable work and they have great customer service. I used to use them a lot until I sold my analogue bikes; they don't do electric. I was in there yesterday to pick up a cardboard bike box and I had a look around at their stock. There were a few curly barred road bikes at ca £3k, two Trek FS mtbs similar. The rest were under £1k, the cheapest that I saw was £349. I'd be willing to bet that they sell many more bikes under £1k than they do bikes at £3k. But that is what I would expect anyway.
I was in the USA last year and I saw a FS bike in a massive Walmart-type store priced at US$99. There were boxes and boxes of them stacked up. Probably took two men to lift each box, but I'll bet they sold loads of them! Price distorts the sales figures. If you compare the split between analogue and electric in the same price band, I'd be interested to see how the split and volume is changing over the years.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Noobster The Sentier is my commuter.
It has 2.0" slicks and mudguards.
It's been off road properly a grand total of 3 times and hasn't hit any jumps or drops of significance.. Mainly because its fucking horrible handling compared to proper hardtails so I haven't even bothered taking it anywhere interesting.
All it sees in the way of radness is the odd kerb hop, sweet mannies for the laydees and the odd trackstand (to keep in with the fixie hipster crowd in the city.)
The E7000 motor has been creaking like a MF since less than 500 miles

Hallberg

Jul 18, 2019
Jonkoping lan, Sweden

Not sure what others are but Specialized’s 2 years is a generous motor warranty in my mind. Motors and batteries can be rebuilt or replaced easily after that time.

I’ve had a few bikes with 50,000-100,000 km on the odometer and motors are still fine on all of them, battery on one of them needs replacement.
what bikes do u have ? and how often do you clean lube .ect? any services ?

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
The question is....
is he buying Shitmano?
Is he over the 333 kilos limit?
Will he buy a reliable brand to get over 3,800 kms on 1 engine?

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
The question is....
is he buying Shitmano?
Is he over the 333 kilos limit?
Will he buy a reliable brand to get over 3,800 kms on 1 engine?

Gary at 333 kg?......... I recommend a strict diet!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Karsten

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I’ve been trying to find out what the weight limits are for Cube e-bikes but no idea where to look. Tried the cube website . Have found them for the analogue bikes only.

Would really be helpful so I know how much I can put in rucksack etc without popping a spoke

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
TBF bosch and Brose motors are also shit!

I wouldn't want to be accused of favouritism ?

*their windscreen wiper motors aren't too bad

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I agree with Gary, except to say, all E-MTB motors are shite.

Last Tuesday evening met a mate for a couple of hours riding before a pint at the pub. When he turned up his Giant's Yamaha motor sounded like an old tractor. Had no choice but do go straight to the pub.

This morning drove 25 miles to the Cat & Fiddle in the Peak District for a five hour ride, pulling in the now infamous Todbrook Reservoir, with around a dozen mates, most of them nonnies. Fabulous weather and fabulous views, Got bike out of car but it wouldn't switch on. Did eventually switch on but after 50 metres WO20 (battery connection)came up and bike died.

Not only was the morning wasted but so was the afternoon cleaning all the connections, for the second time in a week, and all to no avail.

Will reload the firmware tomorrow but not feeling optimistic and looking like a return to the dealer for the third time in nine months

I am fast starting to lose patience with and starting to hate E-MTBs.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire

Last Tuesday evening met a mate for a couple of hours riding before a pint at the pub. When he turned up his Giant's Yamaha motor sounded like an old tractor. Had no choice but do go straight to the pub.

This morning drove 25 miles to the Cat & Fiddle in the Peak District for a five hour ride, pulling in the now infamous Todbrook Reservoir, with around a dozen mates, most of them nonnies. Fabulous weather and fabulous views, Got bike out of car but it wouldn't switch on. Did eventually switch on but after 50 metres WO20 (battery connection)came up and bike died.

Not only was the morning wasted but so was the afternoon cleaning all the connections, for the second time in a week, and all to no avail.

Will reload the firmware tomorrow but not feeling optimistic and looking like a return to the dealer for the third time in nine months

I’m assuming E8000?

Is there something about the packaging of the motors within certain frames?

Yamaha motors are mostly pretty big and clearly most bikes with them have space around the motor (long chainstays ). Is this a factor?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I’m assuming E8000?

Is there something about the packaging of the motors within certain frames?

Yamaha motors are mostly pretty big and clearly most bikes with them have space around the motor (long chainstays ). Is this a factor?

Yes, E8000 in my Focus but not understanding your point about the Yamaha motor.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Bosch make good washing machines and irons, I can vouch for that. Hope they make good bike motors too as we just ordered a couple of Reaction hybrid hardtails a few days ago (2019 versions) ?

Coburn

Aug 18, 2019
Somerset
E-MTBs are a love hate thing.
I tried going back to standard bike but it just isnt as much fun or to hard!
Came to conclusion that bike would just have to spent half of it life in the shop.
Now have a Kenevo with 1 year left on warrenty dont want to think about what ill do once warrenty is up.
Battery seems to be pretty good main problem is motor. Do you get a new 2 year warrenty on a new motor?

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Yes, E8000 in my Focus but not understanding your point about the Yamaha motor.

The challenge for these motors is being the first to be super small so that the emtb is closer to a normal bike.

There are many trade offs to this. Not least thermal but also size of bearings etc

Some do better than others but I wonder if the Yamaha is bigger physically so has lower heat density?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
E-MTBs are a love hate thing.
I tried going back to standard bike but it just isnt as much fun or to hard!
Came to conclusion that bike would just have to spent half of it life in the shop.
Now have a Kenevo with 1 year left on warrenty dont want to think about what ill do once warrenty is up.
Battery seems to be pretty good main problem is motor. Do you get a new 2 year warrenty on a new motor?

If Bosch motor fails within 2 years they replace it and give you a further 2 years on the new motor. I’ve no idea what happens if the current motor is discontinued as seems to have happened with the Gen 2. You can’t exactly strap on a Gen 4 as it is a different size and shape

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District

This one
You should have called in for a brew, I had a nice ride up the Goyt valley, over Derbyshire bridge to Buxton the over the old road, lovely weather.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
The challenge for these motors is being the first to be super small so that the emtb is closer to a normal bike.

There are many trade offs to this. Not least thermal but also size of bearings etc

Some do better than others but I wonder if the Yamaha is bigger physically so has lower heat density?

There is that saying “they don’t make them like they used to” implying that older machines were built to last whereas many electrical items today are designed to be thrown away. Older machines were big and heavy yes but they lasted. Cutting down the weight of something by replacing metal parts with plastic ones makes me feel a little uncomfortable regarding durability.
I had this dilemma with the new Bosch motor and decided to go with the much cheaper older one. I know it’s heavier than the new one and does not decouple but I’ve just got a gut feeling it might be more durable than the slimmed down lightweight version that hasn’t really been tested by the mass market yet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles