How long to recover from Scaphoid break?

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
So had a little tumble on Wednesday, front wheel hit a rut, was only going slow but went over the bars, put my left hand out for some strange reason, ended up in A&E, dislocated wrist and broken scaphoid. I’ve got to go to my surgeon to have the scaphoid pinned.

Any guesses on how long it will be before I can ride again?

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
last time around i was 5 weeks to road and 7 to off road. this time i'm 2 weeks in i think i'll be a good in another 2

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
last time around i was 5 weeks to road and 7 to off road. this time i'm 2 weeks in i think i'll be a good in another 2
That’s better then I thought.

I dislocated it too, they put it back in place and discharged me as they couldn’t get me in for a CT scan. Will need pinning.

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
I broke the Scaphoid and Radius once - was about 3 - 4 months if I recall.

Best of luck with it - be as diligent as you can with the rehab.... that'll determine most when you are ready to ride

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
I broke the Scaphoid and Radius once - was about 3 - 4 months if I recall.

Best of luck with it - be as diligent as you can with the rehab.... that'll determine most when you are ready to ride
This. Mine took 6 months, just I had to have surgery because I never let it fully heal. It was a full year off the MTB.

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
My scaphoid fracture was diagnosed incorrectly. So i walked around with a broken wrist for 5 months. Imagine the pain! When my doctor found out it was actually broken and they put a pin in it, i was back up and bicycling within a week. A pin = instant and total pain relief. Its only a short bone, so a pin makes it very sturdy again.
Ever since i do use a proper wrist brace, a mobius X8, to support the wrist while riding and to prevent another fracture on a crash.
Do talk to your doctor, hear what he recommends.

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
My scaphoid fracture was diagnosed incorrectly. So i walked around with a broken wrist for 5 months. Imagine the pain! When my doctor found out it was actually broken and they put a pin in it, i was back up and bicycling within a week. A pin = instant and total pain relief. Its only a short bone, so a pin makes it very sturdy again.
Ever since i do use a proper wrist brace, a mobius X8, to support the wrist while riding and to prevent another fracture on a crash.
Do talk to your doctor, hear what he recommends.
I was looking at the Mobius wrist guard. I’ve damaged my wrists quite a bit in my younger years when I used to skate. How do you find it?

I’ve got a consultation with a surgeon via Bupa tomorrow, the particular surgeon does a few of the WSB riders so seems to know what he’s doing. Fingers crossed it’s an easy fix, I still need a CT scan so I’m hoping there is nothing the A&E X-ray missed.

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
I was looking at the Mobius wrist guard. I’ve damaged my wrists quite a bit in my younger years when I used to skate. How do you find it?
The mobius is great. Expensive as hell though... But it does work. It prevents the back flexing of the hand very well, so it reliefs a lot of the pressure from the scaphoid bone. Also pretty comfortably, i hardly even know im wearing one while riding.

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Unfortunately it seems it’s a quite bit more serious than initially thought with a lot of ligament damage that will need wires, looks like I may be off the bike for around 6 months, apparently it’s quite a serious injury.
Ouch!

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
Also have a fractured radius, I’ve done a good job on it! I was only going slowly, but fully extended my arm and took all of the fall through my left hand and wrist, should have done a tuck and roll like I always do when I used to have falls off my MX bike, all happened so quickly. Was an easily avoidable injury.

Matt van

Jun 1, 2023
Canberra ACT
get a training frame to sit your bike on at home so you can still pedal, but obviously, you won't be able to hold onto the handlebar with your busted arm/hand, just sit up and pedal with no hands, the experts will say don't hold on with just one hand as that'll build up only one side of your core so do it no hands and watch redbull tv UCI cross country or downhill. thats what I did when I busted my collar bone for the 3-4 months

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
Gutted for you mate.

I had 9 months off last year for a full rotator cuff tear and bruised nerve - sucks! especially at this time of year.

I did no bike training for 6 months, got chubby and bike unfit then caught up towards the end of shoulder rehab - not the way to do it! Wish I'd kept pedalling and doing what lower body S&C I could have with hindsight.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
watch redbull tv UCI cross country or downhill. thats what I did when I busted my collar bone for the 3-4 months
I recorded the tour de france and put the recumbant stationary trainer in the living room , actually not bad excercise compared to the ebike

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
Gutted for you mate.

I had 9 months off last year for a full rotator cuff tear and bruised nerve - sucks! especially at this time of year.

I did no bike training for 6 months, got chubby and bike unfit then caught up towards the end of shoulder rehab - not the way to do it! Wish I'd kept pedalling and doing what lower body S&C I could have with hindsight.
Never happens in winter does it. I’ve broken quite a few bones on MX and other stupid activities, always happens right at the start of summer!
get a training frame to sit your bike on at home
Do these work with e-bikes? Not sure the wife will be happy with me having my bike in the lounge for 6 months 😂

Matt van

Jun 1, 2023
Canberra ACT
Yes they can but for mine i had to put a road tyre on it to quieten it down then went stuff it and bought a used road bike for it for $100

Last edited:

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
Out of surgery, scaphoid is screwed together, radius is sutured as was too thin to screw and ligaments all wired. Luckily minimal cartilage damage so I will be able to ride again, but looking at 4 - 5 months.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Try to find a used Peloton bike (and then sell it when you're ready to ride again if you don't use it), and then check out the LaneBreak rides. Those will beat you into shape and keep you in shape without a lot of time committment. Good luck with the healing process!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Friend; “Why would you even consider such a dangerous sport?”

Me; “That’s a good question🤔… … .…
Wanna go for an awesome ride?”

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles