How long do your brake pads last?

EnduroIntern

Feb 6, 2024
Israel
Of course this would vary a lot but Interested to get some numbers.
What brakes model, pads type, total weight rider,bike, and how many km do the pads last before replacing.

Koban

Oct 15, 2023
Germany
Depends where I ride en weather. I'm 78kg
Canyon Spectral ON CFR LTD (22kg) with Magura MT7 Raceline calipers, 203mm MDR-P rotors and 8.P pads last +/- 400km (trail rides)

Canyon Torque ON CF -custom build (26kg) with Magura MT7 Raceline calipers, 220mm MDR-P rotors and 8.R pads last +/- 300km (trail/enduro and Bikepark rides)

I do not wait with replacing when they are total gone. Brakes are important. ;-)

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I guess the easy answer is;” It depends”. There’s so many factors to consider.

There’s a decent article here on brake pad material (https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/disc-brake-pads ).

I use Magura Preformance pads. They seem to be a mid-range use for the type of riding I do. I generally ride technical and steep trails for 4K-6K km per year. I wear out the pads almost twice a year. Front/Rear 60-40%…but it depends. I don’t grind down the pads to metal on metal …yikes 😱.

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
Depends on the type of riding I am doing,

Recently I have been reusing part worn pads on the rear rather than fitting new ones

Bit generally for me I would say 6 months for the rears and a year for the fronts before they need to be replaced with new

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Recently I have been reusing part worn pads on the rear rather than fitting new
I have a difficult time throwing out used brake pads that might have a little life left in them. I package them up and mark them as “used” just in case something happens to the new pads.

We don’t have the UK-Mud or Cali-grit here …thank goodness.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I can beat that! But it was pre emtb days. How about 12 miles in 90 mins?

A mate was coming over from Greece to see his Mum. I leant him my hardtail for a ride. I had just replaced the rear brake pads but didn't bed them in as I was in a rush. I meant to tell him to bed them in before we rode the trail. I forgot! :eek:

We did 90 mins of a very wet and gritty ride around Sherwood Pines (built on sand). He never complained about the brakes, but when I cleaned the bike, I discovered that not only were the pads down to the backplate, but the spings were toast as well! We did 12 miles. We were supposed to do more but the rain was torrential and we were all soaked to the skin.

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
I can beat that! But it was pre emtb days. How about 12 miles in 90 mins?

A mate was coming over from Greece to see his Mum. I leant him my hardtail for a ride. I had just replaced the rear brake pads but didn't bed them in as I was in a rush. I meant to tell him to bed them in before we rode the trail. I forgot! :eek:

We did 90 mins of a very wet and gritty ride around Sherwood Pines (built on sand). He never complained about the brakes, but when I cleaned the bike, I discovered that not only were the pads down to the backplate, but the spings were toast as well! We did 12 miles. We were supposed to do more but the rain was torrential and we were all soaked to the skin.
Really does bed in pads have anything to do with wear and tear?

EnduroIntern

Feb 6, 2024
Israel
My stats so far.
100kg rider + bike (Fuel exe)
SRAM code R with metallic pads.

Rear lasted ~1500 km, just replaced it after a system bleed, but still had some life in them. Keeping for emergency.

Front was ported from previous pedal bike. Probably did 2k km total.

With the new ones installed I'll track how long they last on Garmin

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Really does bed in pads have anything to do with wear and tear?
I have always believed so. The event I described served to reinforce that belief. I was riding alongside the same guy and I had no problems with my brake pads.

Are you asking a question because you want to know one way or the other, or are you expressing disbelief? You see, now I want to know, one way or the other.

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
I have always believed so. The event I described served to reinforce that belief. I was riding alongside the same guy and I had no problems with my brake pads.

Are you asking a question because you want to know one way or the other, or are you expressing disbelief? You see, now I want to know, one way or the other.
I don't disbelieve you I'm just surprised because I didn't know it

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You have planted a seed of doubt. Now I need to know. :unsure:

Does anyone know for sure whether bedding in the pads is essential for pad longevity as well as stopping power?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I thought that I'd give a chance to impress us to ChatGPT, an AI available on the web.

Question to ChatGPT

Disc brake pads on bicycles. When fitting new pads, it is a required procedure to "bed them in". This involves hard braking up to a score of times. As this is underway, the braking efficiency rises from very little to very high. It is very noticeable. I have always believed that this process is also an essential function to extend the life of the pads. But is this true?

ChatGPT Answer

Bedding in new disc brake pads on a bicycle is a crucial process that significantly improves braking performance and can impact the longevity of the brake pads. Here’s a breakdown of why this procedure is essential and how it affects both braking efficiency and pad lifespan:
Purpose of Bedding In Brake Pads

1. Transfer of Material: Bedding in ensures that a thin layer of the brake pad material is transferred onto the rotor surface. This creates a uniform layer that optimizes the friction interface between the pad and the rotor, improving braking performance.
  2. Even Wear: Properly bedding in the pads helps to ensure even wear across the entire surface of the brake pad and rotor. This uniform contact reduces the likelihood of high spots or uneven wear, which can decrease braking efficiency and cause noise or vibration.
  3. Initial Friction: The process heats up the pad and rotor, which helps to smooth out any microscopic imperfections. This leads to an increase in the initial friction coefficient, making the brakes more effective from the start.
Impact on Brake Pad Lifespan
While the primary goal of bedding in is to improve braking performance, it can also have a positive impact on the lifespan of the brake pads:

1. Prevention of Glazing: Properly bedded-in pads are less likely to glaze. Glazing occurs when the pad material overheats and forms a slick, hard layer on the surface, reducing braking efficiency. By bedding in the pads correctly, this risk is minimized.
  2. Reduced Wear and Tear: Even and consistent contact between the pad and rotor reduces localized stress and heat buildup, which can cause premature wear. This helps the pads to wear more slowly and evenly over time.
  3. Enhanced Durability: Bedding in can help to remove any manufacturing residues or contaminants on the new pads, which might otherwise lead to uneven wear or reduced pad life.
The Bedding In Process
Typically, the bedding-in process involves the following steps:

1. Light Braking: Start with a series of light, controlled stops from a moderate speed (e.g., 10-15 mph) to gradually build up heat in the pads and rotors.
  2. Moderate Braking: Increase the braking force with a series of stops from a higher speed (e.g., 20-25 mph), applying firm pressure but not coming to a complete stop.
  3. Hard Braking: Perform a series of hard stops from higher speeds (e.g., 30 mph) without locking the wheels or coming to a complete stop.
Conclusion
Bedding in new disc brake pads is indeed essential for achieving optimal braking performance and can contribute to extending the life of the pads. The process ensures that the pads and rotors work together efficiently, promoting even wear and preventing issues like glazing and localized overheating. By taking the time to bed in new pads properly, you ensure that your brakes perform at their best and last as long as possible.

Hardly the ringing endorsement for extended life that I was expecting.

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
You have planted a seed of doubt. Now I need to know. :unsure:

Does anyone know for sure whether bedding in the pads is essential for pad longevity as well as stopping power?

I thought that I'd give a chance to impress us to ChatGPT, an AI available on the web.

Question to ChatGPT

Disc brake pads on bicycles. When fitting new pads, it is a required procedure to "bed them in". This involves hard braking up to a score of times. As this is underway, the braking efficiency rises from very little to very high. It is very noticeable. I have always believed that this process is also an essential function to extend the life of the pads. But is this true?

ChatGPT Answer

Bedding in new disc brake pads on a bicycle is a crucial process that significantly improves braking performance and can impact the longevity of the brake pads. Here’s a breakdown of why this procedure is essential and how it affects both braking efficiency and pad lifespan:
Purpose of Bedding In Brake Pads

1. Transfer of Material: Bedding in ensures that a thin layer of the brake pad material is transferred onto the rotor surface. This creates a uniform layer that optimizes the friction interface between the pad and the rotor, improving braking performance.
  2. Even Wear: Properly bedding in the pads helps to ensure even wear across the entire surface of the brake pad and rotor. This uniform contact reduces the likelihood of high spots or uneven wear, which can decrease braking efficiency and cause noise or vibration.
  3. Initial Friction: The process heats up the pad and rotor, which helps to smooth out any microscopic imperfections. This leads to an increase in the initial friction coefficient, making the brakes more effective from the start.
Impact on Brake Pad Lifespan
While the primary goal of bedding in is to improve braking performance, it can also have a positive impact on the lifespan of the brake pads:

1. Prevention of Glazing: Properly bedded-in pads are less likely to glaze. Glazing occurs when the pad material overheats and forms a slick, hard layer on the surface, reducing braking efficiency. By bedding in the pads correctly, this risk is minimized.
  2. Reduced Wear and Tear: Even and consistent contact between the pad and rotor reduces localized stress and heat buildup, which can cause premature wear. This helps the pads to wear more slowly and evenly over time.
  3. Enhanced Durability: Bedding in can help to remove any manufacturing residues or contaminants on the new pads, which might otherwise lead to uneven wear or reduced pad life.
The Bedding In Process
Typically, the bedding-in process involves the following steps:

1. Light Braking: Start with a series of light, controlled stops from a moderate speed (e.g., 10-15 mph) to gradually build up heat in the pads and rotors.
  2. Moderate Braking: Increase the braking force with a series of stops from a higher speed (e.g., 20-25 mph), applying firm pressure but not coming to a complete stop.
  3. Hard Braking: Perform a series of hard stops from higher speeds (e.g., 30 mph) without locking the wheels or coming to a complete stop.
Conclusion
Bedding in new disc brake pads is indeed essential for achieving optimal braking performance and can contribute to extending the life of the pads. The process ensures that the pads and rotors work together efficiently, promoting even wear and preventing issues like glazing and localized overheating. By taking the time to bed in new pads properly, you ensure that your brakes perform at their best and last as long as possible.

Hardly the ringing endorsement for extended life that I was expecting.
The next question would be how much can you trust AI😉

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I asked ChatGPT for ten pub quiz questions on the theme of "orange".
It complemented me on what an interesting question it was and printed off ten questions.

I then had to ask for the answers as well!
I then had to ask for Q&A for a British audience, not the obviously American audience the Q&A were aimed at.
I then had to challenge it on six answers that were obviously wrong (it agreed and apologised).
It then gave some further wrong answers, some of which were the same as the earlier wrong answers.
Then it got itself in a loop of giving the same wrong answer, agreeing that the answer was wrong and then giving the same wrong answer in correction.
I said to it that it was in a loop and that I would not like it to be answering my homework questions. It agreed with me and apologised for its poor performance!

To think that simple pub quiz questions would catch it out was astonishing; its performance was truly dire. I have previously used it for all sorts of tricky stuff and it performed very well. Current AI needs further work, but even the Beta level ChatGPT is a very good productivity tool. You may have to correct it, but the job is 90% done already. It gives you a good start and something to work with. But I would not ask it to do stuff that I didn't already know something about. It is a productivity tool, not an Oracle.

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA
I only use sintered pads. I weigh over 200lbs (90kg). Compared to the type of riding most people do I’d say I hit a lot of massive downhills and I get 300-500 miles out of a set of pads. I quite a few bikes but it’s the same for Code RSCs, XTs, & TRPs. I have mavens on my Levo now. I have a feeling those will not last as long.

leehop71

Sep 2, 2023
Florida
Of course this would vary a lot but Interested to get some numbers.
What brakes model, pads type, total weight rider,bike, and how many km do the pads last before replacing.
Mine should last a good while based upon responses.

I’m in SW Florida and have a 5 mile 20 minute route that I ride M-F.

Plus I alternate that between 2 bikes, a Denago City 1 and a Lectric XP3!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles